Security Tool virus removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrisMcNic2!

I ran into a very nasty version of the Security Tool virus & this one was a real challenge to get rid of as it looks like it was made to be almost 8 Step immune.

As soon as I got infected through my own stupidity, but the bait was attractive, I went straight to the 8 Steps. Now here is where the problems started, Avira, CC, MBAM & SAS could not be accesses from the desktop as all of those links had been disabled. I then went to All Programs in Start & again I was blocked access to all of the tools, so then I went directly through C:\Program files looking for a *.exe or *.bat file to get things working from, but again with no success.

So being sneaky & hard headed I then went to the bottom right-hand Tool-bar & got access to SAS using a right-click on the "Ladybug" icon. I got SAS up & running & it was running fine & finding things but then "Windows XP" crashed it somewhere along the line. I ran SAS again but this time watched it closely & noted that it crashed at around 16 minutes. So I ran SAS again but stopped it at 15 minutes before it could crash, then cleaned what it had found. Still no joy on anything else so ran SAS again but let it go all the way to the end, but this time with no crashes.

Running SAS this time to completion cleaned out whatever had blocked all access to AVIRA, CC, MBAM & SAS from the Desktop so the 8 Steps won again, I just had to be sneaky.

Hope this helps any of the poor victims of this nasty bug.

Happy Skies;

Chris :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back