See the future of the internet inside the Wayforward Machine

mongeese

Staff

From the creators of the Wayback Machine comes the Wayforward Machine, a portal that can show you websites from 2046. Go take a look at it, spoilers below.

If you’ve never used the Wayback Machine, you’re missing out. It’s one of the coolest places on the internet. A virtual library of half a billion webpages from 1996-present, it’s a great way to research and reference and it’s outrageously fun -- check out TechSpot from 2004!

In contrast, the Wayforward Machine is a dreary window into a dystopian future. In much the same way the Wayback Machine celebrates the history of the internet, the Wayforward Machine is a warning about the directions the internet could head down.

Enter any URL into the Wayforward Machine and it’ll flood your screen with a nauseating overlay of popups that prevent you from getting to the page. They’ll warn you that the Ministry of Truth doesn’t approve of the website’s content, that the webpage doesn’t let people of your political affiliation access its content, and ask you for your retina and fingerprints and make you disable your privacy settings.

The Wayforward Machine was created for the Internet Archive’s 25th anniversary. Besides maintaining the Wayback Machine, the IA manages the Open Library, collects recordings of news programs and notable media, and advocates for digital rights; all for free.

But their efforts are in jeopardy; hence the Wayforward Machine, and an accompanying site that links to current and "future" articles about the internet’s degradation. One of the issues they’re fighting in court at the moment is their right to loan digital books on the internet.

But some of the wider issues they raise awareness for -- like the firewalls in China, Iran, and Russia that prevent them from sharing resources freely, and the digital blackouts that have been imposed in Egypt, Tunisia, and Guinea, are so monumental that there’s no apparent path to a solution.

The question ultimately asked by the Wayforward Machine is about the future of the Wayback Machine. As the internet is chopped up by firewalls, paywalls, and copyright laws, the Wayback Machine loses its ability to catalog. If protections like Section 230 are revoked, the site will be unable to lawfully host most of its content.

Let’s hope that doesn’t happen.

Permalink to story.

And this once again is argument for crypto. Why? Because crypto allows for decentralization, and with decentralization, censorship is a lot harder, if not impossible.

The crypto space is already working on a decentralized internet, decentralized storage, permanent internet storage, decentralized e-mail, decentralized publishing, decentralized governance and a lot more.

The ones advocating against crypto are unknowingly supporting this dystopian future the wayforward machine is warning us about.

And this once again is argument for crypto. Why? Because crypto allows for decentralization, and with decentralization, censorship is a lot harder, if not impossible.

The crypto space is already working on a decentralized internet, decentralized storage, permanent internet storage, decentralized e-mail, decentralized publishing, decentralized governance and a lot more.

The ones advocating against crypto are unknowingly supporting this dystopian future the wayforward machine is warning us about.
You don't have to use crypto to use decentralized data.

Google how torrents work for confirmation.

>>> Knowledge is Power <<<

That's THE fundamental fact of life. The person with knowledge wins over the ignorant person. The doctor with the true diagnosis will heal people. The person with the true schedule will catch the bus, others will miss their appointment. You literally cannot do anything without accurate knowledge.

Almost all religions claim that knowledge of the truth is their supreme value, the greatest good. Anything that goes against knowledge of the truth is regarded as evil. For example, in the Christian realm, the devil's great power is the ability to deceive, I.e., to convince people that false knowledge is truth. Here's a clue... anytime you see large scale efforts to suppress open investigation or debate, you can bet Satan is involved.

Knowledge power is relative. To gain power over others, you either enhance your knowledge or you suppress their knowledge. That's what the CIA does.

The internet has given the common man access to enormous amounts of information that was previously unavailable. It gives you the ability to critically examine the dictates of the elites. You can look at the evidence and decide for yourself. It's your God given right, nobody should be able to take it away from you.

The global elites hate it. It threatens their power and exposes their machinations. Like an exposed termite nest rescuing their larva, they work frantically to move their precious information from your view, to corral it and lock it away. To stigmatize skeptics they invented nonsense terms like 'conspiracy theorist', 'follow the science' and 'denier'. They actively destroy information. Youtube recently destroyed over a million videos that question their narrative. That's book-burning on a grand scale.

The state will not rescue society. The US founding fathers placed Freedom of Speech in the first amendment, but it's not enough. Thomas Jefferson said ... "my hopes however are kept in check by the ordinary character of our state legislatures, the members of which do not generally possess information enough to percieve the important truths, that knolege is power, that knolege is safety, and that knolege is happiness."

That's THE fundamental fact of life. The person with knowledge wins over the ignorant person. The doctor with the true diagnosis will heal people. The person with the true schedule will catch the bus, others will miss their appointment. You literally cannot do anything without accurate knowledge.

Almost all religions claim that knowledge of the truth is their supreme value, the greatest good. Anything that goes against knowledge of the truth is regarded as evil. For example, in the Christian realm, the devil's great power is the ability to deceive, I.e., to convince people that false knowledge is truth. Here's a clue... anytime you see large scale efforts to suppress open investigation or debate, you can bet Satan is involved.

Knowledge power is relative. To gain power over others, you either enhance your knowledge or you suppress their knowledge. That's what the CIA does.

The internet has given the common man access to enormous amounts of information that was previously unavailable. It gives you the ability to critically examine the dictates of the elites. You can look at the evidence and decide for yourself. It's your God given right, nobody should be able to take it away from you.

The global elites hate it. It threatens their power and exposes their machinations. Like an exposed termite nest rescuing their larva, they work frantically to move their precious information from your view, to corral it and lock it away. To stigmatize skeptics they invented nonsense terms like 'conspiracy theorist', 'follow the science' and 'denier'. They actively destroy information. Youtube recently destroyed over a million videos that question their narrative. That's book-burning on a grand scale.

The state will not rescue society. The US founding fathers placed Freedom of Speech in the first amendment, but it's not enough. Thomas Jefferson said ... "my hopes however are kept in check by the ordinary character of our state legislatures, the members of which do not generally possess information enough to percieve the important truths, that knolege is power, that knolege is safety, and that knolege is happiness."
Knowledge is not power. You could have the knowledge of a God and it wouldn't do much for the majority of the planet. Without the ability to learn, understand, and know how to apply it you end up being useless to anyone. Knowledge can get you killed by people who have delusions of having a different type of power.
What is Power? People have tried to answer this question for ages.
On a side note, I loved the original Conan the Barbarian as the story shows different aspects exploring that very question, there is a lot of media, books, games, and cinema that have explored these issues.
I would offer that if knowledge was power, then the majority should have learned by now, they cannot even learn the lessons from history as it is always doomed to repeating itself.

But what happens this evidence and truth to make your own choice is inaccurate or purposely changed. The some us not making there own choice. If your driving down a road and a sign says it's a 50 but it turns out that sign was put there by someone else and it's in fact a 30 then you are factually incorrect at your choice.

I disagree because people can advocate against Crypto for many other reasons that are all legitimate.

I also feel this is a stunt for attention more than realistically what is a likely future. Climate change will be a bigger problem by then for example. Which went help if everyone is hard into crypto

I disagree because people can advocate against Crypto for many other reasons that are all legitimate.

I also feel this is a stunt for attention more than realistically what is a likely future. Climate change will be a bigger problem by then for example. Which went help if everyone is hard into crypto

It's only a problem if you believe in Climate Change.

It's only a problem if you believe in Climate Change.
Just some food for thought... The same people that push so-called awareness of climate change due to overpopulation are the ones pushing a vaccine that's supposed to save us all... I wonder how people can square that circle.

I have not heard a single legitimate reason yet. But feel free to enlighten me.

Just some food for thought... The same people that push so-called awareness of climate change due to overpopulation are the ones pushing a vaccine that's supposed to save us all... I wonder how people can square that circle.
I completely agree.
I'm going to ignore you said that. So I can continue to completely agree.

If it's poison, is it still food? I would love to hear you close that circle of insane thinking. How can you possibly equate the two?
I completely agree.
Of course you do. It was ridiculous.

People like Crypto because it takes control from banks and governments. However being able to control a currency is vital for the control of inflation otherwise. If there was one global currency if goods in one country start to increase. Pay cannot increase in kinda because international trade would not allow it so you would a countries economy completely ruined. Not to mention most ransoms are now paid in Crypto because it's untraceable etc. If you think these reasons are not sufficient you can't dispute they are not real

Tried the link and I am not convinced. I don't think these data of verification will be necessary in 20 years from now. All this data including retina scan, fingerprint or DNA blood samples will be already in the system. The government databases or we could call that government database will have all that.
The only thing is to ask yourself is internet something you can't live without. The whole different story is if we're not able to get food or energy sources to keep us warm.
In the future this could be the filter to distinguish between how much a person is dependable and on the other hand independent. It's also a thin line for so called "big brother", how much freedom or lack of it can produce desired state.

Knowledge is not power. You could have the knowledge of a God and it wouldn't do much for the majority of the planet. Without the ability to learn, understand, and know how to apply it you end up being useless to anyone. Knowledge can get you killed by people who have delusions of having a different type of power.
What is Power? People have tried to answer this question for ages.
On a side note, I loved the original Conan the Barbarian as the story shows different aspects exploring that very question, there is a lot of media, books, games, and cinema that have explored these issues.
I would offer that if knowledge was power, then the majority should have learned by now, they cannot even learn the lessons from history as it is always doomed to repeating itself.
Or, you could simply take Sociology`101 and be done with it.

That's a lot of heavy thought and concepts you're putting forth. It sounds pretty much like the discussions we had 50 years ago. You know, way back when weed wasn't considered "medicinal"..

Anyway, when you meet a primitive tribe, the guy with the biggest hat is in charge. He has "the power" you speak of. Oddly enough, the pope has the biggest.hat in the Holy Roman Catholic Church. Am I saying that the Catholic Church is a "primitive tribe"? Dunno. But now you'll at least have something else to ponder..

Last edited:
I know it's like sheep do sheep stuff over and over....

From the creators of the Wayback Machine comes the Wayforward Machine, a portal that can show you websites from 2046. Go take a look at it, spoilers below.
Can I assume that we'll be on TPM 10.0 by then? Higher maybe?

By 2046, I would be, (tentatively) pushing 100. I'll more than likely miss out on all that "fun". In fact, just reading that sh!t, probably took 10 years off my life.

People like Crypto because it takes control from banks and governments. However being able to control a currency is vital for the control of inflation otherwise. If there was one global currency if goods in one country start to increase. Pay cannot increase in kinda because international trade would not allow it so you would a countries economy completely ruined. Not to mention most ransoms are now paid in Crypto because it's untraceable etc. If you think these reasons are not sufficient you can't dispute they are not real
Inflation needs to be controlled right now, because the financial system is fundamentally flawed.

Crypto does not equal one global currency. There are many legitimate cryptocurrencies, and they can function just as different currencies do in a free global market.

Ransom are paid in crypto, because ransomware is immutable, meaning, if it's programmed to only unlock on certain payment, that's the only way it works. That is not an argument against crypto. Why? Because we don't stop drinking water just because some people deliberately drown others in it.

I am not saying that all of crypto is perfect. And individual crypto currencies do have flaws. But as an overall industry or category as a whole, I don't see any negatives to their existence.

I am not saying that all of crypto is perfect. And individual crypto currencies do have flaws. But as an overall industry or category as a whole, I don't see any negatives to their existence.
Power usage is an obvious negative (as is stopping gamers from gaming). Yes, this issue can be mitigated in the future, but right now and for the medium term future it's going to be a huge environmental negative. I know you know this, but you made me say this by being purposefully contrarian.

Power usage is an obvious negative (as is stopping gamers from gaming). Yes, this issue can be mitigated in the future, but right now and for the medium term future it's going to be a huge environmental negative. I know you know this, but you made me say this by being purposefully contrarian.
When put into actual context, Bitcoin's power consumption is more energy efficient... You don't see these headlines often, because there's a narrative to downplay this technology. See for yourself...

Aside from this, the crypto industry is the only industry that has the direct incentive to make things as energy efficient as possible, because high energy use cuts directly into mining profits. That's why we're mining Bitcoin with volcanoes now. And that's why crypto is the largest collective pushing to actually use renewable energy solutions rather than just virtue signaling with it.

Back