Seeking (USB) Cable Spooler / Winder to Quickly Hide Dash Cam in Center Console

Hey folks!

I put my dash cam up on a magnet adhered to my rear view mirror every time I drive. Then, I awkwardly stuff the cable and camera into my center console whenever I park. I’d like to be able to quickly retract the cable into my center console and quickly pull it out again later.

I see various cable winders out there, but none seem perfect for the task. Can anyone recommend a solution?

PS - I haven’t done a hidden routing of my cable as I don’t want a keen eye and curious mind here in San Francisco to investigate what that little MicroUSB connector is doing hanging out of the trim.

I'm prejudiced against winders - they don't last for me. Have you looked at coiled wire alternatives, like [NewEgg]

That’s an interesting thought!

When I first tested the rare earth magnet, it seemed too strong, so I adhered a spacer or two to it (the plastic ones that came with the magnets to separate them). Now, the pull of the coil might be too strong. Perhaps there’s a happy medium. At this second, the spacer(s) are solidly in place, so my lazy side thinks it’d be nice not to find the happy medium to be strong enough to resist the coiled cable pull but not too strong to pinch a finger or something.

But I’m liking the idea in any case! Hmm, you think a DIY spool would kill a cable every six months or faster? I could live with that but my conscience wouldn’t be pleased (you know, Gaia and all).

Back