Sega publishes first gameplay footage of Sonic Forces, delays retro-inspired Sonic Mania

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Sega on Friday published the first gameplay video for Sonic Forces, the official name for the game that was originally announced as Project Sonic 2017 last July.

As you’ll see in the trailer, Sonic Forces – or at least, the map on display here – trades in the lush, landscape-focused settings typically associated with the blue hedgehog for a more urban feel. There are plenty of gold rings to collect and baddies to bust as Sonic zips through the streets in his typical fast-paced manner.

This modern Sonic game looks somewhat similar to earlier 3D-based entries in the series like 2010’s Sonic Colors. As you can see, the camera is positioned behind everyone’s hedgehog as he traverses what appears to be a linear path through the map.

The graphics, courtesy of the new Hedgehog Engine 2, certainly look the part although as we all know, beauty is only skin deep and does little to help a game’s cause if it isn’t fun to play.

Sonic Forces is scheduled to arrive on the Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC sometime during the fourth quarter of 2017.

Sega in related news said Sonic Mania, the 2D platformer built in the image of the original ‘90s-era Sonic games, has been delayed in order to allow for more development time. The game was originally set to arrive on May 31 but has since been bumped to sometime this summer. That’s a bit of a letdown as I’m more interested in trying Sonic Mania than I am the new 3D game but if the delay actually helps improve the final product, I’m alright with that.

Permalink to story.

Back