Serious problem, please help!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

flowerpower

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think i'm in real trouble here, my system was running without a hiccup for some time now, but today it stopped working after a restart. I mean the the pc is running, all the fans spin, the lights are on, the fan controller is workin, however after the monitor turns on(green light lights up at the bottom) it goes directly to stanby (yellow light) without producing anything on the screen. It usually goes to stanby after i turn off the pc so this is definately not supposed to happen. I tried plugging in a different monitor and using a different DVI to VGA adaptor but that didn't help. Also the keyboard doesn't light up as well.

The last thing i did was downloaded and installed a program called CPUIdle Pro, it required a restart, i did restart it and walked out of the room for a few min but after i came back i found the monitor in stanby and the pc on so i didn't see what happened during restart. I'm completely at a loss here as i've never seen anything like this before can somebody help me figure out what the problem is?

do a system restore to just before you installed CPUidle. To get into your PC before CPUidle shuts it down, bang away merrily on the F8 key while switching on and choose safe mode.

Maybe someone who uses this software can tell you what happened - maybe it is supposed to do that, and requires a key combination to unlock? get a friend to read the writer's website in detail for you.

flowerpower said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The last thing i did was downloaded and installed a program called CPUIdle Pro
You have AMD Athlon... u dont need this s/w.
AMD Athlon implements the concept of this s/w already.
nywys
i checked the FAQ's over at their site: http://www.cpuidle.de/faq.php
i found this:
Q:When I'm running CpuIdle my Dual Athlon system it's freezing immediately?
A:Currently, chipset optimization is not compatible with dual CPU machines. Do not use chipset optimization!
check this too : "Why Waterfall sucks (and CPUIdle too)"
over here: http://raijo.aa0.netvolante.jp/~gwater/other/cpuidle/idle.htm
u'd wanna learn here too:
this is the only link that actually favours using CpuIdle
link: http://www.benchtest.com/cpuidle.html
"Troubleshooting CPU is too hot"
link: http://www.a7vtroubleshooting.com/troubleshoot/ts_cpuheat/index.htm... somewhere below
or
"Why was CPU HLT disabled from BIOS 1004 on? Should I reenable it?"
link: http://www.a7vtroubleshooting.com/articles/idle/index.htm
well... by reading this link under "Why was HLT disabled?", i think...
but sorry to bear this news, maybe ur motherboard has burnt out...
and lol, rofl... it's nothing to do with clearing any CMOS...
i think its a motherboard problem.
actually this is too much... just unplug ur HD and put it in your old computer and format and reinstall.... but this time dont install CpuIdle.
well... the p/g seemed nice but i dont wanna risk using it now...

Unfortunately i can't even get into BIOS, i'm not getting on the screen when i turn on the pc and after that the monitor goes to stand by. So i can't do what the first poster suggested. I downloaded this program from majorgeeks and i didn't even try to run it just restarted the system. I've heard thast in cases like this a CMOS has to be cleared but i really don't know how to do that. If anyone knows of how i can fix this please help.

Hi
if you have the motherboard manual, have a look at that for the jumpers where you short out the CMOS. You could also look up the board on the net if you can indentify it. If not, take the lid off and look for the CMOS battery. I appreciate this is a bit vague, but you should be able to see a jumper set of 3 pins, two of which are jumped. Take the jumper off and put it on the empty pair - count to 10 and put it back where you found it. This should reset the CMOS and get you back into the machine.
Let us know if it works!

I was able to clear CMOS by taking out the battery and then putting it in after 5 min, i've done this as decribed in the mobo manual. That helped and i was able to boot, i got some kind of a checksum error and was given a choice to restore to last known good configuration or to default, i chose option number 1 and was able to boot into Windows, however after i restarted the PC i was back to square 1 where system wouldn't boot as before.

What do i do now? Clear CMOS again and attempt to boot into Windows do a system restore and uninstall that program that may have been the cause of this problem? Any suggestions?

The last known good is obviously still useless. If you can get into the system restore manager, you can choose an earlier one before you installed that horror story. You can research how to get into earlier restore points on the web even when you have next to no functionality. You can do it with a freeware dos-like utility that can read NTFS. It is not easy, but possible.

A quicker and dirtier solution that might work, if you can start up at all in safe mode (F8 at switch-on), you could uninstall the application in safe mode.

flowerpower said:
What do i do now? Clear CMOS again and attempt to boot into Windows do a system restore and uninstall that program that may have been the cause of this problem? Any suggestions?
surprisingly, if clearing the CMOS is working, then try that again... but by now i guess you've got some engg. to fix it.
but if you havent, then load OS without the battery at all and uninstall the p/g properly first.
flowerpower said:
I tried plugging in a different monitor and using a different DVI to VGA adaptor but that didn't help. Also the keyboard doesn't light up as well.
doesnt this seem more like some m/b-h/w problem?

Guys,

I got the problem resolved. I unistalled the program that was the likely cause of this issue, furthermore after clearing CMOS my RAM timings were reset so i had to go in there and manually set them back to 4-4-4-12 2T. That was done on the advice of a friend who told me that certain BIOS settings get messed up after clearing CMOS. System has been running smoothly once more for over a week now, i'd like to thank you all for trying to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back