Server 2008 not recognizing RAID

Hello,

First of all, system DxDiag:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 3/14/2011, 13:56:25
Machine name: XXXXXXXXXXX
Operating System: Windows Server® 2008 Standard (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.101014-0432)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: PowerEdge SC440
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 1.2.0
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 4030MB RAM
Page File: 1060MB used, 7207MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 32bit Unicode

--------------
System Devices
--------------
Name: JMicron JMB36X Controller
Device ID: PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2363&SUBSYS_2363197B&REV_03\4&31DB9AC9&0&00E4
Driver: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\jraid.sys, 1.17.0052.0002 (English), 10/29/2009 04:14:32, 99440 bytes

The JMB36X Controller is for the RC-216 Raid Sata II / ATA 133 PCIe Card

This is what happens/has happened:

We installed the raid card and two additional 2tb sata II drives.

We booted up and created a raid using mirror-1 through the bios raid panel.

We go in and install the necessary drivers that are all up to date according to online/provided cd.

We then move on to the program that controls the raid which is the JMB36X software and it confirms we have a RAID named "RAID" that has 2 drives of equal value in size that are mirroring each other.

Now here comes the problem.

It does not show up in our disk management. Also, we've noticed that under the "Other Devices" tab in Device Manager, the "Raid SCSI Disk Drive" actually shows up.

We've checked the compatibility of the card and we do know that it does not specifically support Server 2008. That doesn't seem to be the main problem though, we've used this card on other Win2k8 servers and have had no problems (Different Machines though, not Dell). In my opinion it might have something to do with the Dell Bios but I'm not 100% positive on that. Possibly upgrading the bios will fix this problem but that would require taking down the server and we cannot do that until the weekends.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Phil

Would appreciate any input on this subject matter. We're still trying to figure it out before having to order a new raid card and scrubbing this one. Thanks!

Is there any way of testing the Card is still working in another server/computer?

Just to confirm that its still working absolutely fine, as right now you can't be certain if its failed or not as its history is unknown currently.

Hello,

We have swapped the card with a few of our dummy servers and they run it just fine. It is a puzzle to me. Possibly a permissions issue? Not sure.

Re-Opening this issue.

We ordered a new RAID card and had this card specifically recommended to us by a DELL representative. The card is a Addonics AD2SA3GPX1 PCI Express SATA II (3.0Gb/s) 2 Ports RAID5/JBOD Controller

The problem that I'm receiving is still the same as before. I build the raid through the RAID setup while drivers are pre-loaded onto the machine, it recognizes the hardware install on boot, loads the software, recognizes the RAID and then it show's no sign of a drive in the "Disk Management" utility.

Any help here? For simple solutions I went ahead and scanned the disks and whatnot and in Device Manager nothing is showing as a "unknown device" or anything like that. It just is not showing up under the drives.

Thanks!

Back