Service Pack 3 Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought win xp pro from edirectbuy and it had service pack 2 on the CD when it came. It works great and all of the updates are able to be downloaded. my question is I am unable to download service pack 3. Is there any way to get it with this software? ( Could it be downloaded from a cd and can you get the cd from microsoft?)

thanks

You also have the option of "not" getting SP3. If you got SP1, SP2 and the update since, you don't need to get SP3. You don't give any system information, but for instance, SP3 is causing AMD processors to do a continuous rebooting. There are also numerous other problems.

Well.....,If Ya Simply Gotta Have It........

If you absolutely want all the spills, chills, and thrills of SP3. (Whatever they might be). Newegg is selling XP CDs with it already on the disc.

XP Pro; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116515

XP Home;http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116511

XP Home w/SP3 is $99.95 ten bucks more than XP Home with SP2.

Your choice, personally I'd rather have the ten dollars.

I know you probably don't want to buy the OS again, just making conversation.

the continuous rebooting only affects some AMD processors and there is a bug fix posted by M$

You should be able to download SP3 offline version and do an install from there if you have a legal copy of xp already there is no reason you cant get sp3 just do a Google search for XP SP3 Offline Installation.

Also I am guessing xp will still be available for quite a while :)

It's Now or Never.... anybody remember that song...?

gtppopzz said:
You should be able to download SP3 offline version and do an install from there if you have a legal copy of xp already there is no reason you cant get sp3 just do a Google search for XP SP3 Offline Installation.

Also I am guessing xp will still be available for quite a while :)

M$ has been threatening to stop ALL sales of XP licenses after June 30, 2008. Yes, this June 30th! They're possibly going to sell XP licenses with extremely low performance PCs. (At least by today's standards). This is contingency planning for computers that don't have enough "oomph" to run Vista. If anybody does want a copy of XP for the future, I'd suggest moving on it.

You know, the more I hear about these Windows XP "deadlines", the problems with the SP3 update and the ongoing problems-or just plain dislike by Vista users, it's sounding an awful like Microsoft is doing everything they can to try and force users into Vista!

This user won't be intimidated. I have two systems running Windows XP, no problems, no need for a new computer!

That Old Black Magic.......DRM....

Bobbye said:
You know, the more I hear about these Windows XP "deadlines", the problems with the SP3 update and the ongoing problems-or just plain dislike by Vista users, it's sounding an awful like Microsoft is doing everything they can to try and force users into Vista!

IMHO Vista doesn't have enough going for it to warrant adopting it. I doesn't surprise me that there are problems with SP3, and I'm with you wondering whether they were put there on purpose. Vista is at it's essence just more DRM. XP is cracked, so I'm sure M$ put at least as much effort into copy protecting Vista as they did "improving" the interface.
Flight Simulator 2004 is a copy protected disc. Flight simulator "X" is a product which requires activation, and is another resource hog. So FS 2004 and XP for me.

I'm sort of confused by the amount of snob appeal that M$ has managed to generate by turning Vista into a bloated monster that lets people with high end boxes talk down to people with lesser machines. WELL, your machine doesn't have the specs to run Vista. Who cares? XP does more with less and does it faster.

See what you've done? You got me started again. ......Um, thanks!

BIG SMILE :D

Now you've go me started --- my 733 Linux webserver runs circles around an XP server with the same code.

But that's a horse of a different color (to cite the Wizard of OZ :) )

It's not hard to get going on this! As for the snob appeal--those are the ones we hear most from on forums like this! The got their "bloated monster" and haven't got a clue what to do with it or how to take the first step in troubleshooting.

Gotta think MAC is going to beat PC on those commercials! It's looking better every day.

You don't need to be a mechanic to run a car any longer (mainly because it's too hard)
I suspect Windows is getting to the point of "Do not touch that area" and "qaulified service personnal only"

Here's one: "No re-useable parts inside" (instead of Intel inside)

I Think I can, I Think I Can, I Think I can....OOPS!

kimsland said:
You don't need to be a mechanic to run a car any longer (mainly because it's too hard)
Hence I keep my '79 Firebird, which I lovingly refer to as "The Fireturd" Nobody fixes cars anyway, you either lease them and turn them in, or get carjacked and the POS gets shipped to Liberia in a container. Well, at least in my neighborhood that's what happens. Or plan "C" which is repossesion.
kimsland said:
I suspect Windows is getting to the point of "Do not touch that area" and "qaulified service personnal only"
First, what is "qaulified"? Second, here you're tampering with the inner machismo that shouts in everyman's ear, "I'm going to take this apart to see if I can figure out what makes it tick, don't try and stop me, it's my right"! I have no necessity of stopping for directions either. Truth be told, the people at M$ can't make it work either, so how can you expect better results from us?

kimsland said:
Here's one: "No re-useable parts inside" (instead of Intel inside)
Yeah well....., once you get the side off, you're no longer a "user", or for that matter a "reuser"! You're an experienced repair technician, a legend in you own mind! So there.

Bobbye said:
Gotta think MAC is going to beat PC on those commercials! It's looking better every day.
Well, here we diverge a twitch. Every once in a while, Apple's commercials are gross distortions or outright lies.

DISCLAIMER: Granted, they are quite funny from time to time.

However, "Mac" was also really annoying for about the first hour of "Live Free or Die Hard".

I know this is hard to hear but, my Emachines T-5026 has outlasted my son's Mac Mini by about 6 months. (so far). The Mini's HHD died, pax vobiscum as they say in the Vatican.:dead: I apparently compute in the twilight zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back