Several USB 3.0-enabled devices to be shown at IDF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

The Intel Developer Forum (IDF) is coming to San Francisco next week, and there are reports that several USB 3.0-equipped gadgets will make an appearance. On display will be a Fujitsu laptop, the first of its kind, it uses NEC's host controller and will be demonstrated with a "SuperSpeed USB drive" from Buffalo Technology.

Point Grey Research will have a high-performance digital video camera present, which packs a three-megapixel Sony "IMX036" CMOS image sensor. The device is capable of outputting 1080p HD images at 60 frames per second and it will be displayed streaming uncompressed HD video to a notebook via a Fresco Logic USB 3.0 ExpressCard.

It wouldn't be much of a USB 3.0 party without a desktop motherboard on exhibit, and Asus will be showcasing an early SuperSpeed USB mainboard sample. The board on show will be Intel X58-based, appropriately outfitted with NEC's chip, and will swap data with a LucidPort USB 3.0 device. I imagine it will bear similarities to Asus' canceled P6X58.

There are plenty of big names behind the new USB spec, including Intel, HP, Microsoft, NEC, ST-Ericsson and Texas Instruments. With a backing like that, the first consumer-grade USB 3.0 devices are anticipated to arrive by early next year.

Permalink to story.

I think this is the only thing keeping me from buying a new computer. I'm really looking forward to new 3.0 toys.

Wendig0 said:
I think this is the only thing keeping me from buying a new computer. I'm really looking forward to new 3.0 toys.
yeah me too, its about time I heard some more news about this. I was hoping SONY to be one of the big name listed would be great to see the next PSP using USB 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back