Share files Ubuntu 10.04 and Win7

hughva

I had no problem with this in XP or Vista.
After installing Win7 I can only access my NAS drive, not the shares on Windows or Ubuntu. Two Ubuntu PCs can access each other.
I've Googled and SWATed and sworn a lot, but all I get is password requests that don't accept the PWs I know are good.

What are you trying to access?

Your Ubuntu drives should be fully accessable from your install of Ubuntu.

Let me know exactly what you want to do with your Ubuntu install and I'll advise accordingly.

I want to share files with my Win7 box.
I can see the drives, but I get asked for a password, and the only one I use doesn't work.
I can access my NAS drive, but nothing on the Win7 install.

Are you the owner of the folders in question, and have full control of them?

You can tweek the W7 sharing permissions in Networking & Sharing to turn off password protected sharing, which will stop your problem. Is passworded permissions essential for your network situation?

I don't really see the point in it as you can already see the drives so know they're there anyway, but its personal preference.

The only time I've had issues with this from Ubuntu is when the folders in question (in W7) don't have full permissions setup), or I forget to click "save" (or words to that effect) when entering the password so it continually asks with each session.

Ubuntu by default automatically mounts all local hard drives on the computer its installed on, so your problem appears to be purely permissions based in my opinion.

Is the shared folder/disk mounting automatically during startup in Ubuntu? Or are you having to mount it manually?

It seems slightly odd that your having this issue if the Windows user is the owner of the contents, and you have password sharing disabled. Have you verified that all these are still the case? Something could well have changed for some reason so its worth a quick check if its been a while since you looked.

If you run Nautilus as root, are you able to read and write to the folders in question?

Ubuntu needs to have SAMBA installed and active; ps -aux | egrep mbd will prove it is running.

the etc/samba/* file samples are here and this file controls Linux Shares to foreign hosts {OS X & Windows users}

Accessing Windows Shares from Linux is similary to Simple File Sharing;
get the same user-id on both systems and then access the share
smb://systemname/sharename

all the other issues parallel windows F/S setups

@jobeard
As I understand it, Ubuntu desktop edition has this running as a default install. It's well worth looking into though Hughva, as this could be your problem.

I would find it to be slightly odd if this was the case though, as I've had native support in desktop versions of Ubuntu for at least the last couple of Ubuntu releases.

I have samba and swat installed, and I edited smb.conf to change the Workgroup and sharing options.
After fooling with this for a while, it started working, but I'm not sure which tweak did it.
Thanks, guys.

Back