Shift keys not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellodee

Hello,
I have a problem with my shift keys. neither of them works which is frustrating because to capitalise I have to hit the caps lock and unlock when I have finished. i cannot type the 'at' symbol for instance so when i need it i have to cut and paste. i think it is software rather than hardware or am i wrong. please help

What is the Dell model number, desktop, laptop? When I search Dell 1100 I get a laser printer

Dell's do, as a rule, have a set of hardware test programs - consult your manual as to where they are - can be to press a certain key during boot, or can be on a supplied CD.

When you find them, choose the one that tests your keyboard. This should/will tell you if the key is stuck. If you cannot find the test programs, try Dell support website.

If it turns out the key does not register, get a can of compressed air, ask someone to hold the switched-off laptup upsite down over your head and give it a good rogering with the air-can. One of your weeks-old lunches might fall out....actually, I spot your point about 'both of them', but Dell support should be able to advise about re-installing whatever keyboard driver is involved, as a test.

PS a quick search of the Dell forum comes up with the same problem going back to 2005, on a variety of laptops. No solutions appear to be posted. What is notable is all cases mention that both shift-keys fail. Bit suspicious really. Worth raising a compliant with Dell - and is it still under warranty?

Thanks very much and my apologies for not giving more info on my laptop. It is a Dell Inspiron 1100 running on XP. The fact that is seems to be a common Dell problem is a bit worrying. My laptop is old and well out of warranty but i guess I'll try Dell and see what they say. I have run the Dell diagnostics software and it reports the keyboard as normal. I'll post again when I 've talked to Dell.
Thanks

The fact that is seems to be a common Dell problem is a bit worrying.

Too right. I searched the Dell forum for 'shift key fail' and got 7,424 hits !!!

I suspect you will have no joy, as it is possibly the keyboard chip which has failed. As an alternative, how about plugging-in a standard (or usb) keyboard and mouse. You can get pretty light and compact ones. Also much easier to use than the laptop keyboard !!

Maybe even a wireless keyboard/mouse set would be good. Personally, I hate using a laptop for reasons of both keyboard and mouse useability.

You were right. No joy from Dell. I've managed the laptop like that for a while so I'll have to carry on until I get a new one as it is due for replacement anyway; as I mentioned it is old. Why dont they make them like washing machines or TV's which last for ever?!!

Thanks

While keyboard may well have just failed (so trying another) is a good test

But you might also try:
> Hold down the right Shift key for about 15 seconds. Do you get a FilterKeys window pop-up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back