Should I get Radeon HD 5670 or 5770?

Jawshh

I have an onboard VGA on my mobo (take a look at my specs) and I wanna upgrade to a real VGA but I don't wanna spend a fortune because I am just a casual gamer, I only play games like 2 times a week because of work and stuff.

I found these 2 cards which look great: HD 5670 and HD 5770 but I donno which one to get. I donno if there is a noticeable difference between these two.

Games I wanna play on high settings (without/with little AA) are:

Call of duty black ops, fallout new vegas, gta 4 and whatever good game is.

Max resolution of my monitor is 1600x1200.

Also, I have a Gigabyte brand 500W PSU with only 1 PCI express connector. Will it be enough? I don't wanna upgrade PSU ATM.

Any suggestions? I'd appreciate any other card recommendations.

Thanks,
Josh

EDIT:

I also came across the HD 5750 and looks like I can afford it. SO?

I'd say get yourself the best card you can afford, and this HIS 5770 seems to be the perfect candidate at $100 after MIR. I personally find the 5750's to be overpriced for what they offer and depending on the vendor the same can be said about the 5670. If you can go a little higher this MSI GTX 460 768MB card would be great and handle most games you throw at it no problem at that resolution.

If you could share more information about your power supply that would be helpful, taking a photo of the sticker/tag on the side or sharing the specific model number would work. Regarding connectors, one 6 pin is enough for the 5770, if you want the GTX 460 you'll need to use the adapter they provide on two molex connectors as it needs 2 6 pins.

Ge-n500a-c2

I'd say get yourself the best card you can afford, and this HIS 5770 seems to be the perfect candidate at $100 after MIR. I personally find the 5750's to be overpriced for what they offer and depending on the vendor the same can be said about the 5670. If you can go a little higher this MSI GTX 460 768MB card would be great and handle most games you throw at it no problem at that resolution.

If you could share more information about your power supply that would be helpful, taking a photo of the sticker/tag on the side or sharing the specific model number would work. Regarding connectors, one 6 pin is enough for the 5770, if you want the GTX 460 you'll need to use the adapter they provide on two molex connectors as it needs 2 6 pins.

The name of the PSU is PoweRock 500W and model NO is GE-N500A-C2, you can find the details on http://gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3338#sp

It has only 1 6-pin connector.

Also, I have a "normal" sized case- it's Coolermaster 390 I think. I don't know if the card will fit or not. Any idea? And my mobo is a microATX one.

I've seen a XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB for $169.44 and an ASUS Geforce GTX 460 768MB for $212.44 at a local computer store. As you can see there is a difference of $43 between the 2. Do you think that the GTX 460 is really worth the extra $43? I could really use the $43 for other stuff in my "fancy" christmas wishlist...LOL!

Thanks for replying.

Would the Geforce GTX 460 work with my PSU, I have only 1 6-pin connector. I've reads reviews on the card and I think I am going for it!

Could you tell me a little more about the provided adapter and molex connectors please?

According to the power supply description at the link you provided, the PSU has two PCI-E power connectors. You don't need to use the adapter.

As mail points out that power supply has two PCI-E connectors so you should be fine with it for either card. Regarding the size of your case, the GTX 460 stock card is 8.25 inches which should fit most mid-range cases no problem, but you can always double-check.

Those prices you listed seem high but I don't really have any frame of reference to compare against. I'm guessing you live in the Republic of Mauritius? So I guess it will come down to if you find the performance increase worth the extra $43 bucks. Here are some reviews to help you out:

Techspot, Guru3d, Tom's Hardware & TechPowerUp.

I'd imagine the 5770 handling those titles you listed perfectly fine, but future games might benefit more from the GTX 460 768MB.

I opened my case, took out my PSU and found only 1 PCI-E 6 pin connector instead of 2. Should I get it back to the vendor? I don't know if this varies by revision or whatever.

The GTX 460 looks awesome, it performs really well on high setting according to the reviews. I'm gonna get it! :) Thanks for helping me out!

That is a very mediocre PSU; I wouldn't advise running a GTX 460 on it. Better stick with the HD 5770, and use the leftover cash on a new PSU or something else, or save up for a new PSU and the GTX 460.

Back