Shuting down a laptop

learninmypc

I occasionally do work on a Toshiba W XP laptop & most of the times when I lift the lid up it comes on. In my opinion ANY laptop should be shut down by Start>Turn computer off & Turn off. Am I wrong or ??

Sleep, stand-by or hibernation is absolutely fine, if the features were dangerous to hardware they wouldn't exist to begin with. I rarely ever turn off my laptop - I just close the lid and plug it into the mains overnight to charge it for next usage.

Why do you think its bad?

Sleep, stand-by or hibernation is absolutely fine, if the features were dangerous to hardware they wouldn't exist to begin with. I rarely ever turn off my laptop - I just close the lid and plug it into the mains overnight to charge it for next usage.

Why do you think its bad?

I guess its just because I'm more used to shutting down/rebooting a tower & figured shutting the lid on a laptop wasn't good. Thanks for your input.:)

It's better if you hibernate that way your sure that it's off (power) but it will bring you right back to the exact way you left it....

other words if you left a programe open or your working on something and cant bother to close it for future use you can just hibernate it works just fine especially to save time (booting,loading e.t.c)

It's better if you hibernate that way your sure that it's off (power) but it will bring you right back to the exact way you left it....

other words if you left a programe open or your working on something and cant bother to close it for future use you can just hibernate it works just fine especially to save time (booting,loading e.t.c)

Thanks.

You started with the premsie that Start->Turn Off->Confirm should actually do what it says; power down the laptop.
That is valid and imo really must work, just like holding down the power-on button should terminate the system albeit abruptly and without confirmation.

I'v been on a laptop for 6 years now and use all three techniques {Power-Off, Stand-By, & Hibernate} to manage it.

My most frequently used mode is Hibernate where I close the lid and go for a break, go shopping, or even go to bed. This mode preserves the running system and the current applications and requires the least battery power to retain the ability to restart.

The Stand-By mode operates much like hibernate, but does so by refressing the memory even though the system is not active. The restart time is better, but you'll kill the battery if the system is left in this mode "too long".

My Toshiba has OEM software to manage the use of the Power-On switch and the actions invoked when the lid is closed. For this system, the Toshiba Console program overrides the Windows Power manager (in fact, that program will not run at all). Suggest you find the User's Guide for your laptop and read up on Power Management.

You started with the premsie that Start->Turn Off->Confirm should actually do what it says; power down the laptop.
That is valid and imo really must work, just like holding down the power-on button should terminate the system albeit abruptly and without confirmation.

I'v been on a laptop for 6 years now and use all three techniques {Power-Off, Stand-By, & Hibernate} to manage it.

My most frequently used mode is Hibernate where I close the lid and go for a break, go shopping, or even go to bed. This mode preserves the running system and the current applications and requires the least battery power to retain the ability to restart.

The Stand-By mode operates much like hibernate, but does so by refressing the memory even though the system is not active. The restart time is better, but you'll kill the battery if the system is left in this mode "too long".

My Toshiba has OEM software to manage the use of the Power-On switch and the actions invoked when the lid is closed. For this system, the Toshiba Console program overrides the Windows Power manager (in fact, that program will not run at all). Suggest you find the User's Guide for your laptop and read up on Power Management.

Thanks for the info. Its not my laptop yet, but hopefully will be by Christmas:grinthumb

Back