Significant FPS drop in game

Status
Not open for further replies.
When playing any game i experience huge lag spikes about every 5-10 minutes. My fps is fine and then all of a sudden my game freezes and FPS drops way way down into the red zone. Then in about 10-15 seconds it stops and starts back up 5-10 minutes later. Any help would be appreciated before i throw my computer off my roof!!! Thanks

It's likely that your system doesn't have enough RAM. My old comp had 512MB memory, and I used to get lots of stuttering in-game, and lengthy load times. You could always turn down graphical settings if this is the case.

Please post your system setup (hardware), if you do not know what the setup is, you can go to Start > Run > and type "dxdiag" (without the quotes), then it should be on the first tab with a majority of your system setup. Then go to "Display" tab and tell us what videocard you have.

Computer Specs

2600 xp amd
7600 gs nvidia
2 gigs ram kingston
nf7s Abit MB version 2
sound blaster audigy
120 gig HD
temps are all fine (below normal)

thinking about a reformat....

2600 xp amd
7600 gs nvidia
2 gigs ram kingston
nf7s Abit MB version 2
sound blaster audigy
120 gig HD
temps are all fine (below normal)

thinking about a reformat....

What games do you normally play that have these drops, or is it all games?

If it's all games, you could try scanning for viruses, if nothing is found you could just reformat.

You may also want to consider updating your video card drivers. It probably isn't the cause of a huge FPS drop, but it is something to keep in mind.

What is liking causing the "HUGE" lags spikes is your cpu. A amd 2600 is old, especially if your playing newer games. A decent card,which is what you have, won't help if your cpu is to weak which I believe is your case.
I'd either get a new system or start saving for one. You'll need about $1000-$1500 for a decent/good gaming rig. You could save some money by keeping some older hardware but personally I would replace everything. Kingston ram is ok but there is much better out there. Hard drive need to be bigger and probably faster. You don't need a Raptor drive but Seagate and Western Digital make very good,fast and big(500gb or more) drives for around $100-$150. Some can go for only $80. Depending on which Audigy you have, it might be worth keeping or just stick with onboard sound, which has got alot better lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back