Sims 4 modder makes $6,000 per month peddling digital drugs

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member

You might want to put the kids to bed for this one. A modder named Filip (last name withheld by request) has been working on a mod for the Sims 4 that adds drugs to the game, and he’s making enough money from it to rival an actual drug dealer.

The mod is called "Basemental," and it introduces marijuana, cocaine, amphetamines, and MDMA (aka Molly, X, Ecstasy) to the game, which the sims can buy, consume, and sell. It also added a "drug dealer" trait so you can create a sim that can supply the illicit contraband. The mod even has a relatively complex system that not only makes the sims act high, hungover, or crashed out, but also allows them to become addicted, overdose (fatally and nonfatally), and get arrested for drug possession.

Filip says the whole idea started after he bought the Sims 4 in the hope of using the home design features as a cheap alternative to a CAD suite to help him remodel his real-life kitchen. He had never played the game before and soon discovered that it does not make for a very effective CAD program.

However, he also discovered several clutter items in the game like bongs and lines of coke, and it got him to wondering if there was a way to make the sims use them instead of just being decorative. He started with lines of cocaine that would disappear when Sims snorted them. From there the mod grew to include the other drugs and gameplay features.

A fellow modder suggested he make a Patreon account so people could leave him donations. He started up an account expecting only to get a few hundred dollars from it. As it sits right now, he is making over $6,000 per month in donations on his Patreon.

Filip told Kotaku that he does not condone drug use and that he did not make the mod just to allow Sims to get high. That is why he built the negative aspects of doing drugs into the mod. Showing that your sims will go through withdrawals, get arrested, or even die from doing drugs makes for a counterbalance to the short-lived “fun” benefits each drug offers.

Filip recommends using his mod with Turbodriver’s sex mod Wicked Whims. This mod pairs well with Basemental by adding other effects such as trading sex for drugs and possible miscarriages for sims that use while pregnant.

So far Filip has not been hassled by EA over the mod, but I have a feeling that when it gets wind of the money that he is making the legal team will shut him down. Until then the mod is available for download from his website.

Permalink to story.

he is making over $6,000 per month in donations on his Patreon

So he found supporters on Patreon interested in promoting drugs in games. DEA should take a note of that one, and I don't mean by writing a Sims 4 DEA mod.

So he found supporters on Patreon interested in promoting drugs in games. DEA should take a note of that one, and I don't mean by writing a Sims 4 DEA mod.

How exactly is this promoting drugs when only a small section of the sims 4 modding community knows about it? He isn't proclaiming "drugs are awesome" from the mountain tops or paying google money so take a chill pill.

So many other games have drugs, are they promoting them as well? Heck, in The Elder Scrolls oblivion there are Kajit Skooma dealers all over and multiple depictions of drug use. I can't tell you how many mods either.

So much for the freedom of expression I guess.

Last edited:

DEA should waste money watching modders playing around with the Sims? Really?

We have enough government waste already, we dont need the gubberment keeping track of our games too.

I think the word "promoting" is inappropriate here as he included the cause and effect in the game. It is also a user's responsibility to install the patch. Aside from that, it is a donation for a game patch, it was never a payment for of an actual drug so the chance of getting DEA involve in here is zero.

I don't condone drugs either but I am ok with this mod. Mainly because Filip does include the negative consequences which I believe some people do not know/think about.

- Say My Name!
- Filip...?
- You're God Damn Right!!!
And @noel24 for the win!

That said, I think it's an interesting mod. Like stewi0001 said, a lot of people don't consider the negative effects and consequences of drug use, so including them in the mods was a thoughtful addition. In fact, I would be hard pressed to find another game that has drugs in it that does this. Heck, GTA rewards you.

The other aspect that I find interesting is just watching how the sims interact with the drugs on their own. I did not include it in the article, but Kotaku test the mod with a sim named Raquel and a deal dealing sim named Travis. They wrote:

"When you’re using Basemental, things turn very Trainspotting very quickly. Raquel, a sim I made to test this mod, moved to the big city of San Myshuno to be a writer. Next to her lived Travis, a dealer. After she bought some weed and molly from him, they hit it off and started dating. Now she’s a dealing too, selling cocaine to her friends and fellow partiers. She still writes occasionally, but mostly she’s doing lines of cocaine, popping molly, going to the club and then sleeping it all off. She’s even been arrested twice. Things are pretty debauched for her and Travis. If Raquel has molly in her inventory, she will automatically take another pill every time she starts coming down, which means she is rolling hard pretty much 24/7. All the drug fueled sex she’s been having with her boyfriend has only strengthened their relationship, though, and now Raquel and Travis are engaged.

"These aren’t stories you can tell in the unmodded version of The Sims, and there’s an appeal to crafting a narrative about someone going down a dark path. "

Indeed.

How exactly is this promoting drugs when only a small section of the sims 4 modding community knows about it? He isn't proclaiming "drugs are awesome" from the mountain tops or paying google money so take a chill pill.

So many other games have drugs, are they promoting them as well? Heck, in The Elder Scrolls oblivion there are Kajit Skooma dealers all over and multiple depictions of drug use. I can't tell you how many mods either.

So much for the freedom of expression I guess.

Following OPs logic...

Skyrim --> Bethesda should be shut down. Not only does it promote drugs (skooma, potions), it promotes violence against women and minorities.

NFS --> Electronic arts needs to be shuttered. Not only does this franchise promote illegal street racing, it promotes running from the police.

Dark Souls --> From Software has to go. The Souls series of games promotes heresy in numerous cultures around the globe. Jesus died on the cross, not on some bloodstain which he then returned to several days later to collect His sacrifice points.

Back