SiS USB Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, i had a virus, but my usb ports worked fine.

Anyway, i had service pack 1, but needed to install 1a to help prevent re-infection of this virus.

After i installed, 24 hours later... i notice usb ports didnt work.

I know there is a known compatability issue with SiS 7001 PCI and i went to usbman.com and tried thier methods.

tried some methods on here too... including the one where i plug it into the back of my comp instead of front... and stil nothing.

I believe this issue is un-fixable.... microsoft = ****e :-\

Its beyond a joke!

Can someone help?

Un-plug all USB devices...
Go into Control Panel/ Device Manager and find the USB Root Hub, rite clik it and choose Uninstall. Re-boot and XP will re-install it and it should work fine.
You'll have to do this for each one your system has.
If this fails you need to locate the disk with your MBoard drivers and re-install them.

patio. :cool:

If you have pre-determined nothing is going to work then that's probably the result you will get...
What happened after you removed them in Device Manager and re-booted ? ?
Did you re-install the MBoard drivers ? ?

patio.

Have you checked in the BIOS to make sure USB ports are enabled ? ?
You can also try pulling the CMOS battery for a few minutes and then replacing it to re-set the BIOS settings to default.

Physically inspect the connections to the USB ports...
Other than that i have to admit i'm stumped...
Unless something was connected improperly that would have shorted them out i'm out of ideas...

Just to let you know you are not alone.

I have a Tiny Laptop, it worked perfectly for 6 months, then my USBs stopped working and displaying the same message "Unknown Device". I have tried everything and they still dont work 100%. It has the same dreaded SIS 7001 controller in it.

Sometimes they will work for 40mins then just kick the devices out, sometimes the machine simply wont pick them up at all. I even tried using a PCIMIA card thingy with USBs on it, and still nothing.

My solution has been to order a new Dell XPS Gen 2, and i will be sending the TINY back for repairs then selling it. Having added another 512MB RAM to it i fear the warranty is dodgey, but i'll taking it out and sending it back regardless!

regards, an equally fustrated Nik

Hi,

I have the exact same problem. I have a Gigabyte mobo with SiS onboard usb controller. USB 2.0 used to work just fine.. then all of a sudden, USB 2.0 ports stop working. USB 1.1 devices work fine but I get "unknown device" with usb 2.0 If I remember correctly, it worked ok for 2-3 days after installing SP2 then this started)

Disabling the "Enhanced USB controller" from device manager does the trick.. the downside.... the usb ports work in 1.1 mode. :(

I have tried everything in this thread and much more without any luck

Here is a list of things I remember to have tried:
1. uninstall each USB device, reboot
2. tried above in safe mode
3. played around with *all* BIOS settings
4. tried disabling/uninstalling other devices/services (like ACPI, sound card, video drivers etc)
5. Tried all drivers for USB and motherboard including ones from MS website, my mobo cd, SiS website and a few other third party drivers for USB 2.0
6. Tried all the supposedly "usb 2.0 patches" after googling
7. I even reinstalled Windows XP :(
8. I borrowrd a friend's NEC usb pci card and it worked without hassles. The onboard ports however didn't work as usual.

Things I have not had time to try yet:

1. physically removing other cards etc.
2. upgrading BIOS
3. upgrading mobo
4. install linux and see if the ports work

I am sure there is a problem with MS drivers and SiS chipset. Hope there is a patch released soon. I will be very surprised if my problem can be fixed as of now.

The weird thing is that last week the ports started to work in 2.0 mode (for a day) and died. Looks like a hardware failure??

[UPDATE:] found this article on Microsoft website that mentions a hotfix but it is not available for download and you have to contact support to get it. I haven't yet done it.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;892050

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back