Six Mobile Tech Trends to Watch in 2018

Altogether nothing new then! where is pico projectors so you don't have to squint at hi res films designed for a screen a thousand times bigger where is the landscape warning when taking all photos in portrait when we all have to put up with transparent side bars argg and why o why put faster and faster cpus when all they'll be used for is crypto mining hackers and their malware and why make the faster when all it is is a bloody phone with a built in camera oh and why the slim line bezels I can't hold a phone now with my hands touching icons and such and when are men getting handbags for the increasing size of the phones ...make them smaller with big battery and pico projector as not to strain eyes on small bloody screens which don't get better the more pixels they say they have .... and why the fart are dullards paying a grand for a PHONE that's basically the same as it was five years ago ...there I've had my rant lol...

The company that actually increases the SIZE of the image sensors, should be the next one to claim "just as good as a dSLR" (although it won't). The SIZE of the image pixels, can equate for a better image, as more light is available to the photosensor. I'd LOVE to see a smartphone, similar to the old galaxy Zoom, that had a real optical zoom lens, and larger sensor, but, in this age of "thin, sexy, stylish", it won't happen.
Smartphone manufacturers are spinning their wheels in the mud. Faster processors, more megapixels, brighter displays with goofy notches does not justify spending 1,000 dollars. Soon as people stay ENOUGH! Maybe they will go back to being innovative, instead of lazy copying artists.

Can someone explain why the screen ratios are consistently given as 18:9 and not just 2:1?

I've also noticed that. And 2:1 is so nice, Phytgorean ratio - contrary to the ugly 16:9.
Guess folks won't buy something with a lower number then what they have already...

::patiently waits for smartphone makers to invent a way of putting the front camera and/or speaker at the top of the phone but somehow putting it behind the screen so no notch is needed.::

rather than copying the best aspects of the latest iPhones (Face ID, for example)
Please no. Face ID is a joke. It’s easily defeated. It’s not secure. It, combined with the loss of a useable Touch ID, is why I’m not on the X. An otherwise angelic, though over priced, piece of kit.
Why 18:9? What media exists in 18:9? Do we all LIKE borders on our video????!?!! Come now, 16:9 makes sense. 18:9? Whatever...!

because while mathematically the same they’re not visually the same.

You mean the numbers in the spec, not the screen itself..?

I think it's also a way to sell more inches without making the device to wide to hold. The less square (and more rectangular) the screen of a given diagonal is, the lower is it's area.

Customers prefer bigger numbers it seems.

I am just waiting for the transparent tech for cell phone an etc. I feel nothing really great with these cell phones anyway. 5G then what 5G LTE.. That might be the biggest draw than the way the bezel looks like.

Can someone explain why the screen ratios are consistently given as 18:9 and not just 2:1?
Because 2:1 is off-the-wall for video viewing. The 'standards' are 4:3 (old tv) or 16:9. If you WERE to watch several vids at 2:1 IMO you would be very disappointed.

It's probably because since we already have 16:9 it is easier to make the comparison if an aspect ratio is expressed as 18:9.

I would imagine moving to 18:9 from 16:9 allows them room above and below the "video area" of the screen for additional icons/extensions to the UI. This would avoid having them overlaid on the video or game being played on the screen.

Also, as Regiq already mentioned, this creates more screen area without affecting the ergonomics of the phone too much: making them taller would have less of a negative impact on holding a phone than you would get by making them wider.

I would imagine moving to 18:9 from 16:9 allows them room above and below the "video area" of the screen for additional icons/extensions to the UI. This would avoid having them overlaid on the video or game being played on the screen.

Also, as Regiq already mentioned, this creates more screen area without affecting the ergonomics of the phone too much: making them taller would have less of a negative impact on holding a phone than you would get by making them wider.
That was exactly my point. The video image doesn’t fit full screen any more. I’m not sure having stuff above or below the video is my thing or not. I don’t think I’d ever get used to it.

Re:Regiq Exactly. What math says on paper and what the human brain interprets are different fields.
There was a bunch of research in the early-mid 90s with these new flat screen tube TVs (I still have one) that were 4.00xxx:3. Not quite perfection in 4:3 due to shaping the image to a flat screen. Old video games look great on it but I couldn’t, and can’t, watch a normal movie on it, 4:3 or 16:9 but some of those Betamax releases in bizarre ratios look really good on this and terrible on a 4:3 OR 16:9. But look good on a 16:10 without any formatting change.
It’s a neurological thing.

Last edited:
Back