Skype 2.1 for Android adds support for 17 more devices

Emil

Staff

Skype today announced version 2.1 of its Android app. Skype 2.1 for Android adds support for an additional 17 of the most popular devices running Google's mobile operating system. You can download Skype 2.1.0.46 now from the Android Market.

In addition to the HTC Desire S, the Sony Ericsson Xperia neo, the Sony Ericsson Xperia pro, and the Google Nexus S, which got support with the launch of version 2.0, the following devices are now supported as of version 2.1: Acer A5, HTC Desire (Android 2.2), HTC Desire HD, HTC Evo 3D, HTC Evo 4G, HTC Flyer, HTC Incredible S, HTC Sensation, HTC Thunderbolt - Verizon (Android 2.2, US only), LG Revolution - Verizon (Android 2.2, US only), Samsung Droid Charge - Verizon (Android 2.2, US only), Samsung Galaxy S, Samsung Galaxy S II, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Sony Ericsson Xperia mini pro, Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY, and Sony Ericsson Xperia ray.

If your device is not on the list but you have Android 2.2 (codenamed Froyo) or above, you should still be able to enable video calling in your Skype settings. Just go to "Skype settings" after launching the app and select "enable video calling." If you cannot see the video calling settings, it means your Android phone does not meet the minimum requirements needed to make Skype video calls.

Skype 2.1 for Android also includes a number of bug fixes and performance enhancements. The Android app lets you make and receive free 1-to-1 video calls over Skype between your Android phone and other Skype contacts on the iPhone, Mac, Windows PCs, and TVs. Skype for Android with video works over Wi-Fi or 3G data connections.

Permalink to story.

Works well on my Droid Incredible 2 but the video on one phone is upside down. Need to hold the phone upside down to right the picture. Any fixes?

Never mind. Seems to be a design flaw and video is meant to be used horizontally, as identified in PCMagazine - guess it has to do with interoperability with the desktop app.

"But if you?re using a phone, you need to hold it horizontally to transmit and receive video properly. If you hold it vertically, you?ll still be able to video chat, but you?re probably going to appear upside down or sideways, just like the video you will receive. It?s not that big a deal, but it feels less natural than holding the phone vertically."

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2387822,00.asp

I had a problem using it with my HTC Thunderbolt...big surprise. It not only didn't work, but it seems to have also disabled my camera. Hopefully gingerbread will come soon, which in theory will solve everything...

Video is upside down too on Samsung Galaxy S2. Both mine and my wife's S2's. Tango seems to be the best video app choice once again....

Back