Slaving a dead laptops drive

One of my laptops died and I wanted to recover the data from it. I have removed the dead laptops hard drive and connected it to one of my working computers with a SATA cable. The computer recognized a drive being present but I can't access the drive, it wants me to "format" the drive. Would that not erase the data I'm trying to recover?
Any assistance would be appreciated.

Actually died from old age, laptop was put into service in 2009; primarily a word / internet machine so didn't have to be fast. Gave up a week or so ago. Will start the boot up sequence then fails part way through. So I went to the DOS prompt and attempted to use a start disk and still won't come alive. I had just hoped that pulling the drive would allow me to pull off the data.

Actually died from old age, laptop was put into service in 2009; primarily a word / internet machine so didn't have to be fast. Gave up a week or so ago. Will start the boot up sequence then fails part way through. So I went to the DOS prompt and attempted to use a start disk and still won't come alive. I had just hoped that pulling the drive would allow me to pull off the data.
No guarantee, but IF, & I emphasize IF the harddrive is ok, you might be able to put it on another laptop to recover whatever. But, NO guarantee. Good luck.

Back