Sleep paralysis.. ow boy... O.o

abe10tiger

Just wanted to share to you guys. I've been having Sleep Paralysis ever since i was 9 or 10? Not really sure. It's really scary since you can't move your entire body and still being aware of whats going on! I've done a little research and boy, I sure am glad not having those hallucinations!

Other people often hallucinate aliens, ghost, figures, etc when ever sleep paralysis occurs. They feel excruciating pain, hear whispers, see ghostly figures and many more!

I had sleep paralysis two days ago and it was really scary. I couldn't move, I was panicking and trying to shout for help! My body just wouldn't budge! I really had to try all I can just to move and I did! I hope I don't get it anymore.

I know this is not a health forum but hey..... this is the off-topic place right? :)

How often do you get it? It sounds rather nasty, kind of like you see in the films where the bad guy is drugged, unable to move but fully aware of his/her surroundings... Sounds nasty tbh!

I've had sleep paralysis occasionally.
Most annoying when you need your sleep.
Very interesting though; it's surprising how much effort/will power it takes to get moving, to the point where it can indeed be frightening.

How often do you get it? It sounds rather nasty, kind of like you see in the films where the bad guy is drugged, unable to move but fully aware of his/her surroundings... Sounds nasty tbh!

Uhm... twice or thrice a month maybe and yes! Just like in the movies! One example is Law Abiding Citizen where the the guy captured the bad guy (well they're both bad guys right?) and kind of like injected the bad guys #2 with some paralyzing thingy. After that, he tortured him to death! nasty (but that wasn't sleep paralysis.. just an example) :)
Law Abiding Citizen:
8b05c6821c9u94.png

A bad guy paralyzed (they're both bad)

I've had sleep paralysis occasionally.
Most annoying when you need your sleep.
Very interesting though; it's surprising how much effort/will power it takes to get moving, to the point where it can indeed be frightening.

Yes.. very frightening... do you get hallucinations whenever Sleep Paralysis occurs to you? I sure wouldn't want that.

Uhm... twice or thrice a month maybe and yes! Just like in the movies! One example is Law Abiding Citizen where the the guy captured the bad guy (well they're both bad guys right?) and kind of like injected the bad guys #2 with some paralyzing thingy. After that, he tortured him to death! nasty (but that wasn't sleep paralysis.. just an example) :)
Law Abiding Citizen:
8b05c6821c9u94.png

A bad guy paralyzed (they're both bad).

Wow... I had that very same scene in mind when I first replied!!

Well slightly further along - like in your comments - when he was laying on the slab in the warehouse right before being terminated (sounds nicer than the real word!).

Wow dude, that's some wild stuff. I used to have night terrors as a kid (which is basically an extremely vivid nightmare that you continue to have even after your eyes open). I've never heard of sleep paralysis though. I can't imagine what that's like, especially for the people that hallucinate as well.

Hey abe,
and I thought I was the only one. I have had SP since my early twenties. I started making note of what was on tv while it was happening and looking it up later to make sure I wasn't dreaming it. So do you try rocking back and forth to break it loose? I cant even manage to get any sound to come out during mine. It usually lasts around five minutes, however I have had a few that went on for 15-20 minutes. One night , unable to move, I watched as 40 minutes of '
Dirty Harry' ticked of. Scares the hell out of you doesn't it?
To this day i refuse to watch ' The Serpent and the Rainbow' LOL
I don't know about in the Philippines, but I have spoken with a doctor at a sleep center here and found that it's not entirely uncommon. I have been invited to be part of a sleep study. Basically they put a bunch of electrodes on your head and watch you sleep in an attempt to find out what is misfiring. I have not chosen to participate yet. I have learned that different parts of your brain are responsible for waking up your brain and body, and they are not in sync. I have accumulated some information on SP and things you can do to help limit it. throw me a pm if you want me to send it to you.

I try to move my arms/hands/fingers...don't know how to explain it but it seems if I try hard enough, I can break free within a few seconds.

I hope i don't get this Sleep Paralysis...Sounds nasty.

Actually, maybe this answers a question from my family where my mother swears she saw a ghost once in her bedroom. She says she was sober (which we are still debating 15 years on,) she was totally paralyzed, and it was as real as anything she has ever seen.

Maybe she had a bout of this SP?...Interesting.

Thanks!

Thanks for all your reply guys! At least I know that I'm not alone! I'm not the only one having SP! I believe I had SP again last night but the thing is.... I could move my fingers and toes but not my abdomen! really weird...

Wow... I had that very same scene in mind when I first replied!!

Well slightly further along - like in your comments - when he was laying on the slab in the warehouse right before being terminated (sounds nicer than the real word!).

LOL, I was looking for a better picture but only found this. The laying on the slab part and not being able to control your body while this mad man tries to rip open your body, Dismembers it is sooooo brutal!..eyuk! I actually felt sorry for bad guy that was being tortured. :eek:

Wow dude, that's some wild stuff. I used to have night terrors as a kid (which is basically an extremely vivid nightmare that you continue to have even after your eyes open). I've never heard of sleep paralysis though. I can't imagine what that's like, especially for the people that hallucinate as well.

Maybe you had SP before? When I had SP before, I never knew what it was called.. I only found out a few days ago when I had SP again. And the hallucinations are creepy... way creepy.. good thing I don't get them!

Hey abe,
and I thought I was the only one. I have had SP since my early twenties. I started making note of what was on tv while it was happening and looking it up later to make sure I wasn't dreaming it. So do you try rocking back and forth to break it loose? I cant even manage to get any sound to come out during mine. It usually lasts around five minutes, however I have had a few that went on for 15-20 minutes. One night , unable to move, I watched as 40 minutes of '
Dirty Harry' ticked of. Scares the hell out of you doesn't it?
To this day i refuse to watch ' The Serpent and the Rainbow' LOL
I don't know about in the Philippines, but I have spoken with a doctor at a sleep center here and found that it's not entirely uncommon. I have been invited to be part of a sleep study. Basically they put a bunch of electrodes on your head and watch you sleep in an attempt to find out what is misfiring. I have not chosen to participate yet. I have learned that different parts of your brain are responsible for waking up your brain and body, and they are not in sync. I have accumulated some information on SP and things you can do to help limit it. throw me a pm if you want me to send it to you.

You are not alone! :D I've never visited a doctor because of my SP. I try breaking free by moving every body part! Not easy I tell you! And I'd sure love a bit more info. :)

I try to move my arms/hands/fingers...don't know how to explain it but it seems if I try hard enough, I can break free within a few seconds.

It feels so hard to try and move but that's the only way to be free right? :p

I hope i don't get this Sleep Paralysis...Sounds nasty.

Actually, maybe this answers a question from my family where my mother swears she saw a ghost once in her bedroom. She says she was sober (which we are still debating 15 years on,) she was totally paralyzed, and it was as real as anything she has ever seen.

Maybe she had a bout of this SP?...Interesting.

It could be SP! Since she was paralyzed and started seeing a ghost. Maybe she was hallucinating or something heck I don't know. I'm lucky not having the hallucinations. :)

Back