SLI and Crossfire Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

r3claimer

I'm thinking of building my own computer. (Which I have never done before.) I had most of my components all selected, and then came the video card. I had heard that the best idea for budget systems, (I'm looking for a build around $1200 [$100 up or down]) is to use 2 moderately good video cards instead of 1 amazing card. I decided on 2 Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS cards, as they would only total $200. But I recently learned that you need a special motherboard to run multiple Nvidia cards. I would really like to know everything you can tell me about SLI. Also, does ATI's crossfire supported cards require special motherboards?
My biggest questions: Is an SLI motherboard upgradable? If so, only to Nvidia cards? If not, to I have to buy A completely new motherboard?

Maybe it would help to list the components I have selected for my computer.

Intel Core 2 Quad processor Q6600

Intel Motherboard D975XBX2 (I think I can upgrade it to Core 2 quad extreme later)

Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS 256mb DDR3 (Hopefully 2)

700w power supply

Sunbeam Transformer Case - Black/Green

CD/DVD dual layer combo drive

3gb of DDR2 RAM

320GB Hard Drive 7200RPM

Windows Vista Home Premium

If ATI Radeon doesn't require a specific motherboard, which 2 could I use with my system? (Closest to the 8600GTS.)

And again, I need all the information I can get on both Crossfire and SLI. Thanks in advance.

The motherboard has to specifically support the technology you wish to use (be it SLI or CrossFire). That said, you are much better off getting a single 8800GT or 9600GT for $170-$200.

Clarify what you mean by this:

My biggest questions: Is an SLI motherboard upgradable? If so, only to Nvidia cards? If not, to I have to buy A completely new motherboard?

Also, you do not need a PSU rated for 700w.

It does not matter which way u go on SLI or Crossfire, either one will have to have a special board for which one u are going to do. I myself would rather have any Nvidia card because of drivers but that is just me, also are u a gamer if u are get one good card now and the second when u can afford.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back