Sling TV adds AMC to core package, bundles EPIX lineup into $5 add-on

Shawn Knight

Staff member

sling dish streaming vod mad men the walking dead epix amc sling tv epix2 epix3 epix drive-in over-the-top better call saul sundance tv

Sling TV is adding a pair of channels to its $20 core package as well as introducing a new tier of channels for movie enthusiasts.

Joining Sling TV’s “Best of Live TV” is the highly anticipated AMC (and IFC). As you likely know, AMC is home to hit shows like The Walking Dead, the Breaking Bad spinoff Better Call Saul and Mad Men. The lesser-known IFC (formerly Independent Film Channel) is owned by AMC and typically airs acquired series and original comedies. Video-on-Demand content for both of these channels will be added soon.

The over-the-top service is also adding another add-on package to its repertoire.

sling dish streaming vod mad men the walking dead epix amc sling tv epix2 epix3 epix drive-in over-the-top better call saul sundance tv

Dubbed the Hollywood Extra pack, this $5 add-on will include EPIX, EPIX2, EPIX3, EPIX Drive-In and Sundance TV. As previously noted, EPIX (pronounced “epics”) is a joint venture between Viacom (its Paramount Pictures arm), Lions Gate Entertainment and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) that launched in 2009.

EPIX is the newest of the major pay cable channels in the US and features major motion pictures, documentaries, comedy specials and concerts as well as boxing and mixed martial arts programming.

The Hollywood Extra pack will include a replay feature to allow users to watch content that has aired up to seven days prior. This will be especially useful since Sling TV doesn’t have a true DVR element, one of its key shortcomings.

Top Gear fans will need to hold out a bit longer as there’s no word yet on when BBC America will make its debut.

Permalink to story.

Even if they let me look at a pair of nice ones for an extra for $20, I'm still not interested in TV subscriptions over $7.99.

Even if they let me look at a pair of nice ones for an extra for $20, I'm still not interested in TV subscriptions over $7.99.
Agreed!

I will wait until the first run stuff they show is available from other sources. As I have commented before on other articles about Sling, it is more expensive than regular offerings from Dish, and I got rid of Dish about a year ago because I only watched perhaps five channels from it on a regular basis.

Dish's cheapest offering is 19.99 / mo for one year, then 34.99 after. That doesn't include any installation or equipment rental fees, or service taxes. No DVR capabilities, and crap channels which probably explains why you only watched 5 channels. Here's just some Dish is missing that Sling has:

AMC
Cartoon Network
CNN
Comedy Central
Disney Channel
ESPN
TNT
TBS
HGTV

So how again is Dish cheaper/better than Sling TV?

I cut the cord several years ago and put an antenna in my attic which gets all the local channels just fine. I am a huge baseball and tennis fan. I already subscribe to the MLB.com internet streaming package which gives me all the games in 720p, full DVR functionality, the ability to watch the game from the previous day/week/year, along with my choice of the home or away TV feed (I prefer my team's announcers), for $130/year. (When I cut the cord, the MLB package from Comcast was more expensive, didn't offer all the games, didn't offer my choice of TV feed, didn't allow me to watch previous games, and most of the games weren't in HD.) The only things I've been missing are ESPN and The Tennis Channel. ESPN blacks out a few of my baseball games and covers most of the major Tennis events. I subscribed to SlingTV as soon as I received my invite. Now I have my ESPN for $20/month. For me, the added channels are a great bonus. Unfortunately The Tennis Channel is not part of their Sports Tier, otherwise I would add that on for the additional $5/month. (Are you listening SlingTV?)

I think what SlingTV is doing is great, and I hope it will encourage other companies to come out with their own offerings and create even more competition.

-HamRadioGuy

I cut the cord on DISH, because not only wast it expensive, but paying for crap you will never watch is last century. I think it is bul**** that you can't just buy the damn channels you want. Even with this IPTV "Sling" from DISH, you still only have this "option" at all of live TV without "DISH or anyone else" is because Disney ram's their cash cow ESPN down your throat. I don't give a fig newton about ESPN or any of the sports crap. So in essence, if you buy this "Sling" IPTV thing, you are still buy channels you will never watch. It just irritates me to no end, and these studios need to get with the times. People cut the cord because they don't want to be forced into paying for garbage they don't watch. End rant.

Back