Slow XP startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

g3m1nn1

I know there are a lot of posts regarding various problems with slow XP startup, I also have this problem since xp take a lot of time to start, the welcome windows apeears and then it takes a few minutes for windows to load, I would appreciate if anyone could take a look at my services list and suggest which to disable. any aditional info would be appreciated.

Attachments

• services.txt
    2.5 KB · Views: 9
Hmm Symantec and Sygate installed

Sygate was good (actually I thought the best once)

But it's recommended to uninstall these (fully)

Also I was just looking at CleanCache : http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4122.html
After selecting every option on every tab (except start at next bootup, or logoff)
My system runs quicker. :)

Try Avira or Avast Antivirus instead (and they're free)

It might not be just the Programs you use on boot-up

Have you tried running a Virus Scan and Spyware Scan?
If not then run those.

Next try using CCleaner, this will clear your Browser History, Tenporary Internet Files amongst other things as well - http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

And Then Try running a Disk Defragmenter - Start > Run > Compmgmt.msc > Disk Defragmenter, and then start the Defrag on your C: Drive.

If this doesn't improve performance then go try following this "New Preliminary Removal Instructions" https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic109461.html

Edit: kimsland posted while i was writing down :)

Oh well ;)

Hey woody1191 try that CleanCache thingy too
I haven't used it before (and it's old I think)
But it does help

Just wondering what others think too

i will do as you all recommended and report with a results.
Also i have this strange thing where today I sent a computer to hibernate and then when i turned it back on instead of hibernation it restarted twice, any ideas?
thanks

I haven't used CleanCache before i'll have a look at it sometime soon when i get around to it and tell you what i think.

g3m1nn1 that maybe a hardware problem if you brought it back from Hibernation and it restarted, try running the programs mentioned above first though, before we get onto the Hardware testing.

I am not sure what you mean to represent by this list of Services. If it means they are all set to Automatic start up, then this is a significant problem for the slow startup. Some Services can be Disabled, others can be set to Manual and some do need to be on Automatic. Use either or both of the sites below to help you customize the Services:

http://www.ss64.com/ntsyntax/services.html
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

NOTE: when changing a Service, always check the Dependency tab. That Service may depend on other Services running and other Services may depend on hat Service. Take you time. Use the reference advice. I think you will see a significant improvement once to take some Services off of Automatic start up.

i scanned for viruses nothing was found , I removed Sygate and Symantec and installed Avast, I also ran CCleaner and cleaned it.currently Avast is checking compuer for viruses and when i get back home I will run CleanCache and then will remove all the srvices that are not needed as Bobbye mentioned, will report later with the results.

Thanks for the update

Also you now must register Avast Free Antivirus (for free!)
You can right click the tray icon, and select about, then register
If you don't do this, it'll only last one month!

then will remove all the srvices that are not needed
NOTE: you will not be removing these Services> you will be changing the Startup mode. This adjusts whether the Service 1. Starts a boot, 2. Starts when needed or 3. Doesn't start at all.

i would really appreciate some help with the services which are safe to disable ...
i do go by the reference pages but still, i am not sure.

i am attaching the services list as jpg.
thnk you all.-

There is no way anyone is going to take you through all of the Services and tell you how to set them! however, I will tell you that you have many Services disabled that are needed to run or which are a 'dependency' for another Service.

Please use the references I left and review the functions of ALL of the Services you have disabled and their Dependencies. This will get you a long way toward configuring Services correctly.

I'll not go through those Services you put up, but I could help a bit. Please follow this ( Start > Run > msconfig > Start-Up Tab ), this will not remove many Services but it will increase Start-Up times if you could remove programs from here, these aren't as damaging if removed as disabling Services in there could be.

You can attach Images of this Start-Up List I will suggest some programs which you can remove from Start-Up but it is best if you use Bobbye links for this which are very helpful and would be best since you will realise which things you can disable,enable etc.

ok, i will use the references and here is the startup services list i disabled a few already at a fresh installation 2 weeks ago,.
thanks kimland for the link and also all others for help .

If you click on status (ie The word "status" in that menu, up the top)
I think it shows them in order of all those actually Running

I've spent may many hours on services, and tend to use bare minimum
But this is not normally preferred (even though it makes Windows quick)

The reason why it's "not preferred" is because I turn off things such as Print Spooler, and Help Service. And only enable them when I need them, and so forth.

I've also:
Removed every startup imaginable
Removed every file I can (you know system files, like System Restore, as a basic example)
Removed all tasks from everywhere
Removed all the logs being generated (or at least made them minimal)

Actually, I've had Windows operational at 65Meg only (Anyone who has seen this, knows what I mean - others may say not possible, but yep, fully.

But...
Obviously to run anything like sound or a camera or basically any normal operation (other than Windows and the Internet which is obviously left working) requires all this manual work (enable this, run that) obviously "not preferred".

But it's amazing to see just how little amount of things need to be on, for Windows to work.

i know, a lot of things that are not needed, also on my computer, i just need to find a time to go through services and reference pages that you all provided. It can not be done in 5 minutes, therefor I shall take my time. i just ran cpanel program that you provided a link for and now i need to restart PC to see if anythings changed, i disabled everything except antivirus, will report in just a minute ( i hope ;)

ok system rebooted quicker than before, all i have to do know is edit services, hopefully one of this upcoming days.
thanks for all the input.

If i may address another error I received.
I was trying to install HP Photosmart 3180 software and drivers and in the middle of installation process i received a popup stating:

This system is shutting down. Please save any work in progress
and log off. Any unsaved changes will be lost. This shutdown was initiated
by....

and here as I remember was mentioned one of the services or at least a number of it ( but I cant remember which )
Is it possible that after I edit the service list that this install should go through smoothly.
i do have windows updated and Service packs installed so a Blaster worm that in the past caused this popu should not be the problem here, right?
regards

One of your services state "Restart" if fail

Go through them, and turn off restart (its in the Recovery tab)

newbie: recovery tab?where, not in services menu.:blush:
please ignore, i found the tab.

question: there is more than one service that resrt after failure,
If i remember correctly NET framework 2.0. was neede for install so since i installed it i assume this is the right one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back