SmitfraudFix download and guide

almcneil

TS Editors,

I would like to suggest we add SmitfraudFix to the Download section and also put a manual for it in the Guides section.

There was recently a post by someone that required SmitfraudFix. I have a copy but your upload utility does not allow exe files. I checked the downloads section and didn't see it. So I counterposted to the person to look it up on the Web (it's everywhere) Kimsland then posted a link and instructions. Thought we might as well formalize it since SmitfraudFix is quite a common utility.

Here's the thread https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=679744#post679744

-- Andy

This small specifically targeted tool, is not required for all members having issues with Virus\Malware issues

There are in fact many tools that can help rid Virus\Malware and Smifraud is, well one of the lesser used ones

I do not recommend that this tool to be uploaded to TechSpot servers
Providing links to Smitfraud Fix (now very old, but still good) is still the best option for support staff

I can see where both are coming from here. I actually agree with almcneil here, because having it put in the downloads and guides section provides additional choices for users. Support volunteers are however still free to recommend what they wish to. Having a guide simply facilitates usage and recommendations when the time calls for it.

On a side note, Andy, you are being over defensive. His first reply post had nothing specifically against you, but your response was quite the over-reaction. Please take note of that. For both parties, let's stick objectively to the current topic, and not bring in other unrelated information.

Anyway, since you proposed that, do you wish to write the guide?

We can probably accommodate and list this tool in our downloads section. Apparently all of you agree it's indeed a good piece of software despite of not being the best or the most recent, but the former is what counts because if we were to list the absolute best and nothing more, our downloads section would not have more than just a handful of utilities which is not the idea either.

All I can say is that it is a commonly used tool. I have used it a number of times mysef, just last Friday in fact! Other techs in the home market use it as well. 2 friends who run an independent computer store used it regularly. I've seen it recommended at various tech support sites, including here. Not only does it fix Smitfraud, it fixes other nasty spyware. It just makes perfect sense to include it in the Downloads section. I was surprised that it wasn't there already considering this is a premier tech support site!

-- Andy

I would NOT put a download to this tool on your server for a few reasons.

#1 - you do NOT have S!ri's permission
#2 - He updates the changelog regularly so you have to update the new version - you would constantly have to get the new version

-------------------------

This is what I usually tell people, not all of it, but I copy and paste out of this what I need. Option 1 if you are unsure, Option 2 if you are sure there is something there

75415740545070046c3ec0.gif
Run Smitfraudfix
  • Download Smitfraudfix by S!ri from HERE
  • Double-click SmitfraudFix.exe
  • Select 1 and hit Enter
  • The report can be found at the root of the system drive, usually at C:\rapport.txt

75415740545070046c3ec0.gif
Run Smitfraudfix
  • Download Smitfraudfix by S!ri from HERE
  • Reboot your computer in Safe Mode (before the Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually)
  • Double-click SmitfraudFix.exe
  • Select 2 and hit Enter to delete infected files.
  • You will be prompted: Do you want to clean the registry ? answer Y (yes) and hit Enter in order to remove the Desktop background and clean registry keys associated with the infection.
  • The tool will now check if wininet.dll is infected. You may be prompted to replace the infected file (if found): Replace infected file ? answer Y (yes) and hit Enter to restore a clean file.
  • A reboot may be needed to finish the cleaning process. The report can be found at the root of the system drive, usually at C:\rapport.txt

Empty the Recycle Bin by right-clicking the Recycle Bin icon on your Desktop, and then clicking Empty Recycle Bin.

Afterwards attach rapport.txt and a fresh Hijackthis log

Thanks, saved to Notepad for future reference :grinthumb
Also I prefer Option#2 as the norm, but both are excellent proceedures

Back