Software programs won't recognize external DVD burner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am new and very much a non-techie but I am endeavoring to learn.

I have an HP Pavilion zd8000 laptop w/ MS Windows XP, Media Center version 2002, w/ Service Pak 3. My internal DVD player has been kaput for some time now. To watch DVDs, I use an external DVD player/burner that is a Pioneer DVR X-122. The external DVD/CD player/writer reads anything. It plays DVDs using Nero software which came w/ the player or it can use the Inter Video Win DVD program that came with my computer.

The external DVD player will burn CDs using iTunes.

However, I want to burn DVDs. I used to burn them using Media Center however, Media Center only looks for DVDs in my kaput internal writer. How can I get it to acknowledge my wonderful external player?

I have the same problem with Roxio and Record Now!, two very good programs that used to work when my internal drive actually worked. They do not recognize my external player.

If I can give you more helpful information please let me know. I can give you more system specs but I honestly don't know where to get that iformation.

I thank you for your response.

Yes, that has crossed my mind but I was trying to make use of what I already have. It seemed to me that it might be a simple task to disable the D: drive which contains my internal dvd burner and simply have the program directed to the E: drive in the USB port. But perhaps it's not that simple after all.

If I were to purchase a new internal drive, I'd have to do some research there, too. The one I have is "obsolete." So I'd have to find a compatible one and then I'd have to figure out how to install it.

I'm just trying to avoid going to a tech shop and paying $150 just to have them say "oh this is simple, just click this." I was once charged nearly $500 in fees just to replace a $100 battery. I'm trying to avoid another costly experience like that.

Thank you for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back