Some Apple stores letting users exchange iPads for 4th gen model

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The iPad mini was arguably the star of the show during Apple’s media event yesterday in San Jose. The shrunken tablet is expected to go head-to-head against Google’s recently-released Nexus 7 this holiday season but some Apple customers no doubt felt a bit betrayed due to another announcement.

In addition to the iPad mini, Cupertino unveiled a refreshed full-sized iPad simply known as the fourth generation iPad. This updated slate replaced the A5X processor inside the current iPad with a faster and more refined A6X chip expected to deliver twice as much CPU and GPU performance. There’s also a new 720p FaceTime camera, a new Lightning connector and 802.11a/b/g/n dual-band Wi-Fi.

That’s all fine and dandy unless you happened to have purchased a third generation iPad recently. That brand new tablet is already outdated after just over six months of being on the market.

All hope isn’t lost, however, as CNET is reporting that some Apple retail stores are allowing customers to exchange their iPad for a new model if purchased within the past 30 days. Specifically, the manager at the Stockton Street store is San Francisco is allowing customers to make the swap granted the iPad in question is still in good cosmetic condition.

The manager was only speaking on behalf of her own store. She told the publication that customers will need to call their local Apple Store to inquire about similar policies.

It sounds like this isn’t an Apple-wide policy which is a bit unfortunate. Perhaps we will hear something official from Apple in the days leading up to the fourth generation iPad’s launch. Either way, it’s worth checking with your local store if you find yourself in a similar situation.

Permalink to story.

Ipad mini to go head-to-head with the Google Nexus 7"?
Is it April fool's day already? Who are you kidding?
The Nexus is the king in the 7" category and everybody knows it.

I would like to get a nexus 7 someday to play around with. I just dont really have a need for one when my laptop does everything I need it to

Ipad mini to go head-to-head with the Google Nexus 7"?
Is it April fool's day already? Who are you kidding?
The Nexus is the king in the 7" category and everybody knows it.

IS THAT SO !

Some people just never learn ! If you don't understand that there might be a DAY when Google doesn't do the same thing like Amazon had done, Deleting Content on a customers device, You'll never learn until it's too late !

I think Apple trying to make it compete with the Nexus 7 is a mistake. The only real thing I see that the Mini has over the 7 is the much better landscape viewing space for web browsing (and I suppose some argument can be made for the apps).

Overall though, it probably doesn't matter and here is why:
1. Apple didn't really want it known they were releasing the iPad Mini, it just kind of became evident over time through some hardware pieces and case leaks.
1a. They couldn't tell devs about a new screen res because that would give away that they really were making it - although maybe by a month or 2 ago this doesn't matter anymore...

2. Apple probably doesn't care, this thing will sell like hotcakes anyway because:
2a. Hardcore fanboys.
2b. If you have a lot of Apple products (mac, phone, previous gen iPad) you get locked into their ecosystem, so even if the Nexus 7 has better specs at a lower price, there is something to be said for keeping everything flowing nicely between devices.

3. The iPhone and original iPad launched with major things missing. This is a 1st gen product. 2nd gen will have retina display.

One thing though that Apple is totally screwing consumers on is lack of expandability, sure you can buy bigger space devices from them, but the price increase for that space is insane. Put a damn microsd slot in it and their low end of everything would instantly be much more appealing.

I don't really think they can despite their thinly veiled comparison at the release. My comments above show my opinion on why I don't think it matters.

"One thing though that Apple is totally screwing consumers on is lack of expandability, sure you can buy bigger space devices from them, but the price increase for that space is insane. Put a damn microsd slot in it and their low end of everything would instantly be much more appealing."

Because if they put a MicroSD slot in you'll be buying flash from someone else for 75% off their prices. Same reason it took them forever to put a radio in a ipod... they didn't want you to be able to listen to something that wasn't purchased from itunes.

"One thing though that Apple is totally screwing consumers on is lack of expandability, sure you can buy bigger space devices from them, but the price increase for that space is insane. Put a damn microsd slot in it and their low end of everything would instantly be much more appealing."

Because if they put a MicroSD slot in you'll be buying flash from someone else for 75% off their prices. Same reason it took them forever to put a radio in a ipod... they didn't want you to be able to listen to something that wasn't purchased from itunes.
totally agree, from a consumer standpoint it would be a great fix but I can see why they wouldnt do that from a business perspective

Back