Some programs won't run - Win 7 Pro, 64-bit

TomSEA

Hi Gang,

I'm at a loss here. I recently built a new rig, using an SSD drive for the boot drive and a 1TB mechanical drive to hold programs/data.

I've encountered two programs that won't boot up after installation. I double-click on the program icon, get the "waiting" pointer icon for about 5 seconds and then nothing. Checking the Task Manager, the program isn't running. I've uninstalled/reinstalled the programs 2-3 times with no effect. I've tried installing them on the SSD, then the mechanical drive, again, no effect.

The two programs (so far), are Gigabyte's EasyTune6:
http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NETWORK-CARD/INTEL/Gigabyte-EasyTune-6-Utility.shtml

and nHancer (an nVidia Control Panel):
http://www.nhancer.com/

Any ideas or suggestions as to what's going on with these?

Thanks in advance!

Have you tried to run them in compatibility mode?

Also, have you updated your windows recently? I remember there was some patches involving .Net Framework; i.e. the updates may have rendered nHancer incompatible with Win7x64 (its just a calculated guess atm); I don't have nVidia card in this rig but I'd check nHancer for you on my secondary rig later on.

Hi Archean - thanks for the response.

Yup, it's a brand new, fresh Windows install, complete with all updates. Also have the most current version of .Net Framework (4). Haven't tried compatibility mode yet. I don't believe either one of these programs would require it (the EasyTune comes on the CD provided with the motherboard, and it's a high-end one GA-X58A-UD3R), but ya never know about these things. I'll give that a shot tonight...

Compatibility Mode didn't work. I tried an earlier version (one that came on the CD as opposed to downloading the latest from the Gigabyte website) and same result - doesn't work. HOWEVER...there were six other utilities on the Gigabyte CD that I installed - even if I didn't want to use them - and they all worked just fine.

Also, I checked the event logs and there was no record shown of the EasyTune startup. Very strange. Oh well, I'll keep tinkering with it and see if I can get it to work somehow.

Odd. Have you tried to ping Gigabyte's support? It might be a known issue and you're tearing your hair out for no reason :).

Well, I've checked Gigabyte's forums to no avail. Interestingly enough, the MOBO CD game with 6 utility programs. I only really want 3 of them, but installed all 6 just to see if they worked. They all did except for the EasyTune. (shrugs) I just don't know what's going on and am a loss as to what to try next to find a solution. :(

Back