Some Samsung TVs will get Xbox cloud gaming capabilities, no console required

Daniel Sims

Staff
Something to look forward to: Microsoft wants to bring Xbox Cloud Gaming to as many screens as possible. At the end of this month, Samsung smart TVs will offer another way to stream Xbox games without owning a console. Microsoft's service also comes to two new countries today.

Beginning June 30, Xbox Cloud Gaming will be available on Samsung's 2022 smart TVs through an app. The new sets will be compatible with Xbox and PlayStation Bluetooth controllers. Samsung will roll them out in 27 countries — including Argentina and New Zealand, which receive Cloud Gaming on Xbox, PC, and mobile devices starting today.

Users will access the service through the Samsung Gaming Hub, where it will join cloud gaming services like Nvidia GeForce Now, Google Stadia, and Utomik. The TVs feature motion enhancement and other technology that should improve image quality and minimize latency.

Due to their wide adoption and portability, bringing cloud gaming to mobile devices and low-end laptops is a no-brainer. However, Game Pass subscribers shopping for new TVs likely already play games on Xbox or PC. Microsoft likely hopes introducing a smart TV app will expose its subscription service to Samsung TV owners who don't have consoles. Redmond is working on a cheap streaming dongle, but the device needs much more development time.

Microsoft also revealed that later this year, it would let Game Pass Ultimate tier subscribers play certain games in their library from the cloud, even if those games aren't on Game Pass. Another feature the company has planned is demos for in-development indie games. It stated that the project would attempt to generate the excitement of playing hands-on demos at events like E3, which have gotten rare over the last couple of years.

Permalink to story.

Microsoft on their journey to virtually expand GamePass everywhere!

This is a great move on their part, something they would have the upper hand over PlayStation, as they don't see Sony doing the same although they have a TV manufacturing plant at their disposal.

The problem with these "pre-loaded" TV's is simple. They put so much effort into the extra's that the original guts of the TV are easily hacked and the hacker can turn the TV into a broadcasting device to attack anything within range. I went through this awhile back and believe me, it's 100% effective. Once I bought an extra device (Roku) and bypassed the internal tuner and went straight to the added on Roku the problem ended, but not before the hacker did a lot of damage so before buying one of these pre-loads, be sure to protect yourself!

The problem with these "pre-loaded" TV's is simple. They put so much effort into the extra's that the original guts of the TV are easily hacked and the hacker can turn the TV into a broadcasting device to attack anything within range. I went through this awhile back and believe me, it's 100% effective. Once I bought an extra device (Roku) and bypassed the internal tuner and went straight to the added on Roku the problem ended, but not before the hacker did a lot of damage so before buying one of these pre-loads, be sure to protect yourself!
Every TV nowadays has apps...good luck trying to find s tv without them.

I think we might see another gen of consoles, but after that, it will be cloud based.

If they keep prices like Stadia, I simply cant justify buying high end gaming pcs or consoles.

Assuming that latency keeps getting better, which is not that bad already.

Gotta admit, they put saas thingy everywhere. Nothing better for business than people bleeding money on stuff they never own.
And nah, I'd rather build another PC and put in the living room next to tv and play without worry about lags, internet, subscriptions or quality loss.

Back