Some users report that their Pixel 3a and 3a XL phones are experiencing random shutdowns

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: While Google’s Pixel phones have generally been well-received by critics and consumers, they’ve often experienced technical problems that frustrate users. The company’s latest Pixel 3a and 3a XL handsets look to be following this trend: both devices have garnered positive reviews, but reports of issues are already surfacing.

Several Reddit users (via Android Police) report that their Pixel 3a and Pixel 3a XL phones have been experiencing random shutdowns. These are said to be occurring while the handsets aren't being used during both the day and night, and they require a hard reset by holding the power button down for around 30 seconds before coming back on.

Redditor Ravoz wrote that they had three shutdowns in one day, including one overnight that caused them to miss a morning alarm. The issue was still present when the phone was in Safe Mode, eliminating any third-party apps as the cause.

Another Reddit user, realtimeanalytics, said the problem usually arises on their work Wi-Fi, though it’s also happened when connected to their home network on a couple of occasions.

Several other posts and users in the comments sections say they have also experienced the random shutdown issue. So, while it doesn’t seem too widespread, the problem appears to be affecting enough users to cause some concern. The reports come after Google and Huawei agreed to compensate people affected by Nexus 6P battery defects that caused the phones to shut down randomly.

The first Pixels, Pixel 2 phones, and the Pixel 3 devices have all experienced technical problems in some form or another, and it looks as if the Pixel 3a and 3a XL are following suit. Let’s hope Google finally gets it right with the Pixel 4.

Permalink to story.

So the Galaxy Fold was a bust, Google blacklists Hua Wei and the Google Pixel is having problems.

The world turns to look at Apple...

What surprises do they have for us this year?

Well we've had Bendgate, Anntenagate, Chargegate etc...

Maybe they'll price them higher than Samsung and it can be called "Pricegate".

Bendgate: morons literally sit on their phone in their back pocket -blame apple because it bends or breaks. Addressed with stronger aluminum and eventually stainless steel in the XS MAX.

Antennaegate: You reached wayyyyy back to the iPhone 4? Great job.

Chargegate: I never had that problem.

...all the things you sighted and yet sales continue to increase.

Last edited:

Bendgate: morons literally sit on their phone in their back pocket. Addressed with stronger aluminum and eventually stainless steel in the XS MAX.

All phones have problems. As do operating systems. And software. We all know that and yet we bicker like fanboys. If a device does what I want it to do, at a reasonable price, reasonably quickly, I'm happy. I've had all the high end phones until my last refresh when I waited longer, got a slightly older than the latest thing but still a good upgrade, and have had less problems with this phone than any other. It's almost as if they've had time to work out most of the kinks...

All phones have problems. As do operating systems. And software. We all know that and yet we bicker like fanboys. If a device does what I want it to do, at a reasonable price, reasonably quickly, I'm happy. I've had all the high end phones until my last refresh when I waited longer, got a slightly older than the latest thing but still a good upgrade, and have had less problems with this phone than any other. It's almost as if they've had time to work out most of the kinks...

The fanboyism comes from the fact that these buyers want people to buy products similar to theirs to ensure that their product flourishes and sees enough demand from consumers to ensure new apps, software updates, etc.

Products that are obscure and not purchased as much end up marginalized: Anyone ever try to get you interested in a Cyanogen phone?

Apple has cornered the market profits. It sits alone while the Android developers have to fight each other. It's Samsung Galaxy vs. everything else.

Bendgate: morons literally sit on their phone in their back pocket -blame apple because it bends or breaks. Addressed with stronger aluminum and eventually stainless steel in the XS MAX.

Apple has always struggled with clean iOS upgrades. This iOS 12 battery problem has affected multiple iPhones on our business account.

iPhone units sold by year, in case anyone wants statistics. Not a whole lot of excitement since 2015.

The closest thing Apple has to compete with the 3a is an almost 3 year old iPhone 7 which still comes in at $50 more. So I have a hard time even including them in any comparison conversations when it comes to budget-conscious phones.

On the shutdown issues, one can hope it will just be a firmware/software bug that is easily correctable. We'll see.

Just another reminder of he fact the pixel phones are $300 nexus phones with inflated pricetags.

Bend-gate: that didnt happen to older phones, so it clearly wasn't the fault of the "morons". Good job blaming consumers instead of apple for engineering their phone so thin it had no structural support. There was also the slightly damning fact that this could happen while INSIDE CASES.

Antenna-gate: Just because something is old it isnt relevant to the point at hand? Gotcha. Totally wont come to bite you in the arse when you try to defend apple, no siree.

Charge-gate: "It didnt happen to me, so it didnt exist!" What are you, 5?

And sales are NOT increasing. As it turns out only so many people can afford to dump $1000 on a smartphone, if apple repeatedly cutting production quotas for Foxconn didnt make that exceedingly obvious.

Just another reminder of he fact the pixel phones are $300 nexus phones with inflated pricetags.
Bend-gate: that didnt happen to older phones, so it clearly wasn't the fault of the "morons". Good job blaming consumers instead of apple for engineering their phone so thin it had no structural support. There was also the slightly damning fact that this could happen while INSIDE CASES.

Antenna-gate: Just because something is old it isnt relevant to the point at hand? Gotcha. Totally wont come to bite you in the arse when you try to defend apple, no siree.

Charge-gate: "It didnt happen to me, so it didnt exist!" What are you, 5?

And sales are NOT increasing. As it turns out only so many people can afford to dump $1000 on a smartphone, if apple repeatedly cutting production quotas for Foxconn didnt make that exceedingly obvious.

I stand by every single thing I said.

iPhone XS Max sales far surpass Fold sales lol. And Mate X sales.

Apple has always struggled with clean iOS upgrades. This iOS 12 battery problem has affected multiple iPhones on our business account.

iPhone units sold by year, in case anyone wants statistics. Not a whole lot of excitement since 2015.

The closest thing Apple has to compete with the 3a is an almost 3 year old iPhone 7 which still comes in at $50 more. So I have a hard time even including them in any comparison conversations when it comes to budget-conscious phones.

On the shutdown issues, one can hope it will just be a firmware/software bug that is easily correctable. We'll see.
Sounds like an issue of the SOC trying g to pull too much juice too quickly.

Wow... simply wow... just let it go, it's no good talking to a Wall, this being from the right side of the fence or to the left side.

On my end, I'm not buying a single pixel in my lifetime. Yes, all companies screw up at one point or the next, but when EVERY phone you've built for the past 4-5 gens have an issue... this being the speaker, the screen, the update, the hard reset thing, whatever, I'm not relying on you for my next $1000 pocket computer with cell signal.

Back