Someone just paid more than $650,000 for a yacht that only exists in the metaverse

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: A mere $650,000 for an ultra luxury super yacht complete with a DJ booth, helicopter landing pad and a hot tub would be a steal in the real world, but how about in the virtual realm? Time will tell.

That’s roughly how much the new owner of the Metaflower Super Mega Yacht recently paid for the opportunity to own a luxury NFT designed for The Sandbox, “a virtual world where players can build, own, and monetize their gaming experiences.”

The virtual ship was designed by Republic Realm, a metaverse and NFT innovation and investment platform, as part of its Fantasy Collection. According to Business Insider, it’s the most expensive non-fungible token ever sold in The Sandbox.

Earlier this month, someone plunked down nearly $2.5 million for a digital plot of land on Decentraland, another metaverse.

Making sense of the whole situation is a challenge in itself, and essentially revolves around how you define the metaverse.

Some consider the metaverse to be little more than a persistent virtual world, the likes of which have existed at least since the creation of Second Life in 2003. More recent interpretations see the metaverse as a three-dimensional iteration of the Internet that’s more involved than just a video game. But are the two really any different, at least at this point? In that sense, how is any of this new? People have been buying virtual goods in games for years. Suddenly, it's hip and cool to do so, and overpay for trivial items?

At this point, there are arguably more questions than answers about the metaverse and how it will – or won’t, evolve. Will there be one central metaverse, like the traditional Internet, or several smaller platforms that’ll encourage users to pick a side?

Permalink to story.

They should have put one of the NFT monkeys on the side of the boat just for extra d-baggery points.

Imagine what a sum of money like that could to lift up other human beings in need. I live in California and the amount of homeless people I have seen throughout my life has never made me want to ignore that they exist. On the contrary, it makes me wish I could help them. It hurts to see human suffering when you live to love and hate that hate exists. Even if at times it has gripped your own heart. I'd love to have 650k to use every penny for humanitarian and philanthropic efforts.

Last edited:
I still dabble in a text-based MUD. The GMs created a "specialized" item that someone purchased for $28K to help offset a few negative penalties for a hunting area in the game.

I'm not sure what's worse....spend $28K on a text only item or spending $650K on a graphical based item. Either way, these are effing stupid people with nothing better to spend their money on.

Imagine what a sum of money like that could to lift up other human beings in need. I live in California and the amount of homeless people I have seen throughout my life has never made me want to ignore that they exist. On the contrary, it makes me wish I could help them. It hurts to see human suffering when you live to love and hate that hate exists. Even if it at times it has gripped your own heart. I'd love to have 650k to use every penny for humanitarian and philanthropic efforts.
That's a nice sentiment.

How has spending the money you do have for humanitarian and philanthropic efforts felt?

That's a nice sentiment.

How has spending the money you do have for humanitarian and philanthropic efforts felt?
I don't have a ton of money at the moment. My mom passed just over a month ago and I just barely got a job for the first time in over a decade, but I have helped people before in my life and plan to again when I can.

If you have helped people before, kudos for calling me out. If not, how about helping someone the next chance you get.

I still dabble in a text-based MUD. The GMs created a "specialized" item that someone purchased for $28K to help offset a few negative penalties for a hunting area in the game.

I'm not sure what's worse....spend $28K on a text only item or spending $650K on a graphical based item. Either way, these are effing stupid people with nothing better to spend their money on.

It's all relative, probably just a dime for them. But it is worrisome anyway regardless why they buy it. Considering they buy it because they were drawn into thinking that they need/want it by the creators who created an artificial demand, it is just plain entertainment, others might spend that money on hookers and blow.

I do not like it as well for different reasons, the sum does not matter so much to me.

All in all I consider this kind of money spending quite harmless, so I move along and agree with the author's article subtitle 'whatever floats your boat'.

I love throwing out business ideas - if you can create a viral storm for some one of a kind limited edition bit of junk - have influencers share the profit .
Who will be the lucky person to own this exquisite piece of junk?

Least ideas like the million pixel thingy sold in 10*10 blocks was good idea rewarded well

No accounting for tastes - some derivative Banksy art will sell for more than say Einstein's original workings

There were persistent online worlds with avatars long before second life. If that's the metaverse they didn't invent it.

I guess they may have pioneered selling digital real estate to fools though.

Imagine what a sum of money like that could to lift up other human beings in need. I live in California and the amount of homeless people I have seen throughout my life has never made me want to ignore that they exist. On the contrary, it makes me wish I could help them. It hurts to see human suffering when you live to love and hate that hate exists. Even if at times it has gripped your own heart. I'd love to have 650k to use every penny for humanitarian and philanthropic efforts.

I never understand this argument. Where do you think this money has gone? It's like when Elon spends billions going to space. It's just handing down money to others. Whoever had this sum of money spare has now given it to someone else who probably needs it more.

I worry a lot about this metaverse thing. Who's building its foundations and who's defining the rules? Is just like AI stuff. I wouldn't trust a world if it's designed by facebook/google/apple

I worry a lot about this metaverse thing. Who's building its foundations and who's defining the rules? Is just like AI stuff. I wouldn't trust a world if it's designed by facebook/google/apple
Don’t worry, its not Facebook! Its a company called Meta, you probably haven’t heard of them but they are totally focussed on building out the metaverse with total respect for your privacy, security and wellbeing.

Back