Someone please help - I keep on crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me start by telling you that I am quite dense when it comes to the world of computers. In the days of windows 3.1 I was quite in touch but over the last 10 years have got lost!! So go easy on any technical advice please!

My laptop's power supply became faulty so instead of taking it to someone who knows what they are doing to fix it I tried to resolder it.....well skipping all the bits in the middle I had to get myself a new (identical) motherboard and have changed it over (something I have never done before). All is now working but the laptop now keeps crashing at all sort of times. If you boot up in safe mode then it will stay on but booting normally can crash at any time from before windows starts to once you are into windows.

I have tried to search the threads that are here but a lot of it makes little sense to me! Hopefully you can help me first of all find out what is causing the laptop to crash and stay turned off.

Yours hopefully.

There are way too many potential issues to discuss them all here. Do you have a tech savvy friend who could look at your system? You could have damaged other components when you meddled with it. Power supply could be defective in any of a number of ways. CPU may need thermal paste or have too much thermal paste already, CPU fan may be bad, a memory module might be the problem, video card could be bad, any device plugged into a PCI slot could be no good, or it could be a corrupt operating system, or other software issue.
We will need to know the brand and model of the motherboard, power supply, CPU, CPU fan, and other components.
Do you have red or yellow flags in the Device Manager?
Get back to us with a lot of detail.

There are way too many potential issues to discuss them all here. Do you have a tech savvy friend who could look at your system? You could have damaged other components when you meddled with it. Power supply could be defective in any of a number of ways. CPU may need thermal paste or have too much thermal paste already, CPU fan may be bad, a memory module might be the problem, video card could be bad, any device plugged into a PCI slot could be no good, or it could be a corrupt operating system, or other software issue.
We will need to know the brand and model of the motherboard, power supply, CPU, CPU fan, and other components.
Do you have red or yellow flags in the Device Manager?
Get back to us with a lot of detail.

Thanks for your reply,

No tech savy friends here, just me, my distant memories and the internet! The laptop runs fine in safe mode powered by either the batteryn or mains power (if that rules out any power supply issues) CPU needing thermal paste i know nothing about! The fan is running and turning on and off and the system is crashing when the board is very cool. all devices were working fine before i meddled the motherboard over!! and the same can be said for the software/OS.

The laptop is a Fujitsu Siemens Amillo L7300 which is as brought, the motherboard that I replaced was exactly the same (as far as I know). In device manager there are no flags and everything seems to be fine (although i can only open it in safe mode because the system has already crashed otherwise). I'm not sure where to find the info you need but if you tell me I will tell you!

I know I am appearing to be a pain but really appreciate any help.

Dave

because you are booting in safe mode, it loads default settings and basic drivers needed for the os only.

Looks like you may have a driver related problem
if you have any of the orignal cds or a restore partition on the computer, try re-installing some of the drivers again or updating them

Update on the above. I have tried removing the hard drive to check if it is a problem with the OS and it is still crashing without booting an OS. can anyone help????

how does the computer boot without the hard drive,
without the hard drive there will be nothing to boot from no cfg/ntdlr/mbr to access on startup except the bios options

in the normal startup at what screen exactly do you get the crash occurring
as it works in safe mode try the following
go start
accesories
windows restore
and select a point prior to the problems occurring

Sorry, it doesn't boot, it goes to the screen that says no operating system and then it will crash at random intervals from there.
I have tried restoring but no joy.

I had the same problem and it was the laptop charger that was faulty, replaced the charger and there were no more crashing :)

Your best test is to use another drive. They are awfully cheap nowadays, or borrow one.

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far. I have just removed the RAM and it doesn't seem to be crashing. How can I test if it is the RAM that is at fault?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back