Somewhat generic Windows question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corwin613

Someone on this forum said in a post that Windows thinks that a new motherboard = new computer which means new install

Now my question does the same apply if you just upgrade your CPU? I have also been told the same can be said if you change/upgrade your RAM

Honestly I myself can't recall if I have done a RAM upgrade (upgrade being added more RAM in this case) to a existing install without any problems or not

This system here I can add 2 more gigs of RAM and do a CPU upgrade on it so I was wondering if i can still do this without having to go back and redo Windows XP Pro again...

EDIT: I am also wondering if the same can be said of Vista and its various versions as well

Thanks in advance

Sorry, but I do not understand your question, really.
No you do not need any contact with Microsoft to change or upgrade memory... and Windows does not care. The same is true of VISTA.
You can change optical, floppy or zip drives, cpu fans, memory, and most devices installed in a PCI slot without any difficulty from Microsoft or any need to re-verify your Windows install.

All you would have to do is call Microsoft if the Activation fails, and tell them you changed the CPU or motherboard. They will give you new numbers to reactivate Windows

I wasn't asking if you needed to contact Microsoft I was asking if Windows wouldn't load if you upgraded your CPU

I have changed drives etc except for the main one without a problem and I am not really worried about having an activation failing since I have an unlimited install copy of XP Pro

I was mainly asking because If i decided to upgrade the cpu in this computer I really didn't want to have to redo my system because for some reason XP Pro says its a different computer. In the past month I have done almost a dozen OS installs and I am not really in the mood to be doing anymore at least not until I am putting together my newer system..

IE: like how you cannot take a hard drive with XP installed on it and put it into a totally new computer because the previous one died for example

Windows will load slowly, but it should load... and If you change the CPU or even a CD/DVD R/W sometimes the old Windows install will require a reactivation. That's what I was saying. If your old Windows install has service packs and other updates it may not load at all

Even an having an unlimited install copy of XP Pro will be scrutinized by Microsoft's system. No install cop is really unlimited... They have very specific limits on the number of installs, and to very specific individuals or organizations.
They look at the parameters. They are not dumb. The "unlimited" installs are limited. They will insist on knowing who you are and where you are. If the hardware differs... if the network differs... if the connection to the internet differs... you must expect a new install code... and you may be require to answer questions on a telephone call. Microsoft will want to know that the software is legitimately installed by the original purchaser or organization.
Remember, it is a license, not an owners free for all. They will verify their license is being used as agreed upon purchase.
Once they have determined you are who you say you are, and the license is as intended, it only takes a minute.
Volume licenses have codes, and limits.
If you make changes, they will expect explanations that fit the original license and purchaser... but it is quick and not a painful process.

One other point - a new CPU might very well require new drivers for the motherboard interface. It should load with generic drivers, but you must install proper drivers for full performance. Hopefully, you will not have to reinstall Windows in the situation of just changing a CPU, but there are exceptions - the most common being a 64-bit after 32-bit, or multiple CPU after single CPU. You may find it simply will not boot under those cases, amongst others, and you would require not only a fresh install, but also drivers during the install - press F6 very early on when prompted.

"If you make changes, they will expect explanations that fit the original license and purchaser... but it is quick and not a painful process"...

It is never recommended to use a previously installed OS on another computer... unless you are installing a single hard drive "image" to several identical computers, with the proper legal licenses in hand.

As we have said, it may work, but you may spend more time tweaking the OS than your shortcut is worth

Not trying to do any shortcuts I was mainly asking if a CPU and/or RAM upgrade would require a reinstall of Windows or not

All computers I install my copy of XP Pro on are licensed to me any my company so I am just not installing it willy nilly on computers for people

You might experience a freeze as the Windows logo appears for more than 3 minutes, and then the bootup will continue. After the boot completes, Windows may say " you must activate this software immediately" or something similar...

is that where you have to call Microsoft and get the 40 digit activation code from them or whatever?

But it is possible then that nothing will happen?

Either way its not really a big deal but I was just wondering

Thanks to all of your for your input

Yes, you may have to call Microsoft... it is possible that nothing will happen. It really is no big deal, as long as the computer runs stable

So far its running fine just waiting on the video card and new hdd for it.

Looking to update the BIOS on it to fix it so it will support Vista

Oddly it booted with the hdd from another computer (older motherboard was installed in the case it is it) in it installed all but 2 drivers and seemed to run fine though i didn't mess with many of the programs tried Warcraft 3 but it wouldn't load

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back