Sony brings PS4 games to PC with cloud-based PlayStation Now

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Sony said back in March that it would soon be adding PlayStation 4 titles to its cloud-based gaming service, PlayStation Now. On Thursday, Sony made good on its promise with the addition of 20 PS4 games to the PS Now library. The new entries, spanning span a variety of genres including action adventure, real-time strategy, fighting, racing and more, are as follows:

• Killzone Shadow Fall
  • God of War 3 Remastered
  • Saints Row IV: Re-Elected
  • WWE 2K16
  • Tropico 5
  • Ultra Street Fighter IV
  • F1 2015
  • Darksiders II Deathinitive Edition
  • Evolve
  • MX vs ATV Supercross Encore
  • Resogun
  • Helldivers
  • Broken Age
  • Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition
  • Grim Fandango Remastered
  • Akiba’s Beat
  • Castlestorm Definitive Edition
  • Exist Archive: The Other Side of the Sky
  • Nidhogg
  • Super Mega Baseball

Sony notes that its cloud gaming catalog now consists of more than 500 titles, all of which are playable via Windows PC or on the PlayStation 4 with a single subscription.

Speaking of, Sony is offering a seven-day free trial for those that haven’t yet given its service a shot. If you decide the membership is for you, Sony has brought back its $9.99 introductory rate for the first month / $99.99 for a full year that you’ll want to take advantage of. The reduced rate is only valid for new subscribers through September 22.

It’s worth pointing out that Sony will be discontinuing PlayStation Now service across a variety of devices including PlayStation 3, PS Vita, smart TVs and Sony Blu-ray players on August 15 in order to focus exclusively on the PlayStation 4 and Windows PC.

Permalink to story.

$100 per annum? Thanks Sony, you're so kind but I ain't that keen. I don't mind buying a copy of a game outright but I'm certainly never going to subscribe to those kinds of scams.

$100 per annum? Thanks Sony, you're so kind but I ain't that keen. I don't mind buying a copy of a game outright but I'm certainly never going to subscribe to those kinds of scams.
I think its a stretch to call it a scam. The amount of data bandwidth, software licensing, and technical development costs associated with delivering a service of this nature isn't cheap. You can say the service is not effective or don't target you but I'm hard pressed to call this a scam. And honestly, you're comparing other products that aren't subscription based. $100 bucks a year is around what you'd spend for Hulu or Netflix. I'd rather consume games then movies. If I was interested in subscription based, I'm not so sure this would be all that bad. Its just not for me, I like owning physical. But I'm not going to label Sony as scammers for it.

How is it a scam when you get access to so many games? The service is also adding games regularly and it got a lot of updates that helped with the image quality and latency. Sony has been working hard to improve the service since it first launched.
Just give the trial a go and see if you like it or if it works properly where you live. If you don't like it then you don't need to pay.

Let's not forget that this isn't twitch or youtube. Sony needs to allocate a ton of server resources to run VMs for each user to make sure the games run smoothly (plus servers that do the video encoding).

$100 a year is tempting.... I wish they would put a price tag on these games. I would pay at least $20 to be able to play through Red dead on my pc and ps4 again

How is it a scam when you get access to so many games? The service is also adding games regularly and it got a lot of updates that helped with the image quality and latency. Sony has been working hard to improve the service since it first launched.
Just give the trial a go and see if you like it or if it works properly where you live. If you don't like it then you don't need to pay.

Let's not forget that this isn't twitch or youtube. Sony needs to allocate a ton of server resources to run VMs for each user to make sure the games run smoothly (plus servers that do the video encoding).
If you're a regular gamer who plays all types of genres then there might be some value in it but for someone like me who only buys a maximum of two games a year, only plays certain genres and single player only then takes a year to play them, it's simply not worth it. I'm still trying to finish GTA 5, but then again I'm also a completionist. Nothing less than 100% completion and gold awards for every mission will do for me.

I think its a stretch to call it a scam. The amount of data bandwidth, software licensing, and technical development costs associated with delivering a service of this nature isn't cheap. You can say the service is not effective or don't target you but I'm hard pressed to call this a scam. And honestly, you're comparing other products that aren't subscription based. $100 bucks a year is around what you'd spend for Hulu or Netflix. I'd rather consume games then movies. If I was interested in subscription based, I'm not so sure this would be all that bad. Its just not for me, I like owning physical. But I'm not going to label Sony as scammers for it.
You are correct, calling it a scam is a stretch. Naturally it'll be worth it to some people but not everyone who plays games. See my long winded reply to Puiu and you'll understand why it doesn't interest me. If you're the type who thinks nothing of dropping a grand on games a year, then it makes total sense.

I'm interested in this, but not just yet, there may be one or two games on the list I'd be interested in, but mainly the Gran Turismo franchise and Uncharted which I doubt will be released for this service for a while. Mainly due to there not being a Gran Turismo for PS4 yet. Also I'm still, and always will be, concerned about potential latency issues, but at least now they offer a free trial so at minimum I can try the service before committing. Ideally I'd just want to run the games locally, but that'll never happen unless I buy a PS4 and that's a huge waste of money right now.

I'm interested in this, but not just yet, there may be one or two games on the list I'd be interested in, but mainly the Gran Turismo franchise and Uncharted which I doubt will be released for this service for a while. Mainly due to there not being a Gran Turismo for PS4 yet. Also I'm still, and always will be, concerned about potential latency issues, but at least now they offer a free trial so at minimum I can try the service before committing. Ideally I'd just want to run the games locally, but that'll never happen unless I buy a PS4 and that's a huge waste of money right now.
Uncharted 1-3 are available to the subscribers. the GT games haven't been added yet to PS Now. we might see GT games being added to spur interest in the newer one.

I was thinking about getting a ps4 on black friday but give me Persona, Horizen, and the Last of Us via subscription to start and I'd be down.

Quote "Sony will be discontinuing PlayStation Now service across a variety of devices including PlayStation 3, PS Vita, smart TVs and Sony Blu-ray players on August 15 in order to focus exclusively on the PlayStation 4 and Windows PC"

I thought the whole point of cloud based gaming was to allow newer games to run on lesser hardware?

Back