Sony builds a MicroLED 16K screen for Japanese cosmetics business

Greg S

Forward-looking: 8K TVs are on the horizon for consumers, but 16K and above resolutions are working their way towards mainstream adoption for large format displays. Bigger screens necessitate even higher resolutions to maintain similar visual quality because pixel densities become much lower when an equal number of pixels are spread across billboard sized areas.

Big screens have been commonplace for decades now, but have previously compromised on image detail in favor of overall size. Sony has announced a new 16K display at the National Association of Broadcasters trade show in Las Vegas that measures in at 63 feet by 17 feet.

At 16 times the pixel count of 4K TVs and 64 times greater than 1080p, onlookers will be able to walk up to the massive display without seeing just a wall of LEDs. Although we have reached the point of diminishing returns on pixel density for small screens, larger displays still have room for improvement.

One of the ideal goals of an ultra high resolution display is to make the image look as life-like as possible. On a large semi-truck sized display, pixel density still needs to be in excess of 50ppi to match that of most consumer grade 1080p TVs. For a viewing distance of more than six feet this is what it takes for most people to be unable to spot the individual pixels.

At Haneda Airport, Sony technically already has a 16K display installed from five years ago, but it is hardly what most of us would call a real 16K display. It is made up of clearly visible smaller panels giving it the appearance of a wall of lower resolution TVs.

Sony's 16K display is not as ridiculous as it sounds. Your 4K TV and even your 1080p models are still likely going to look better up close, but that could easily change once you take a few steps back to see the entire display from afar.

The 63-foot display is built using MicroLED technology carrying Sony's Crystal LED marketing speak. It is being installed for Japanese cosmetics group Shiseido located in Tokyo. The 16K monstrosity will span the first and second floors of the building.

Permalink to story.

I honestly don't care as much about the technology as I do the size of the TV.

You can get a 70 or 75" 4K TV for less than $900 nowadays. ($70" less than $800)

I'm anxious to buy a 100" TV.

My 80" 4K Vizio is awesome for family get togethers and friends coming over but I would gladly sell it and use the money to buy a 100"

Could MicroLEDs ever replace projectors in the movie theater since it can be pieced to such large screens?
As I understand it, that is one of the only market segments that could afford MicroLED ATM. However, this display is something that I could see being used in some movie theaters. So size is not a factor. Cost is - which is probably the main reason there are no MicroLED sets in the consumer market space ATM.

If there were, OLED would have serious competition as MicroLED does not suffer burn-in and, more importantly for HDR, MicroLED is substantially brighter.

As I understand it, that is one of the only market segments that could afford MicroLED ATM. However, this display is something that I could see being used in some movie theaters. So size is not a factor. Cost is - which is probably the main reason there are no MicroLED sets in the consumer market space ATM.

If there were, OLED would have serious competition as MicroLED does not suffer burn-in and, more importantly for HDR, MicroLED is substantially brighter.

Good points on the cost. I did a quick search and it looks like a theater projector costs somewhere between $10,000 and $40,000. I'm guessing MicroLED currently costs much more than this given that Samsung's 85" OLED TV still costs $15,000. Will look forward to the day when I'm watching movies in the theater on a giant MicroLED display if the price ever comes down to rival the cost of theater projectors!

Good points on the cost. I did a quick search and it looks like a theater projector costs somewhere between $10,000 and $40,000. I'm guessing MicroLED currently costs much more than this given that Samsung's 85" OLED TV still costs $15,000. Will look forward to the day when I'm watching movies in the theater on a giant MicroLED display if the price ever comes down to rival the cost of theater projectors!

I am wondering what is the cost to insure that?

Samsung doesnt make OLED TV’s....

They have a pretty good marketing team though apparently....

Waiting for my very good 63" Samsung plasma to die and prices of LG OLED to come way down. 77" LG OLED for $999 then I'm in. Paid way too much for the early adoption of plasma! Lesson learned over and over again.

Sorry, typo. Meant QLED. Either way my point was an 85 inch TV (regardless of what tech it uses) still costs $15,000 right now

LG makes an 86” for around $2500

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-86-...rt-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6296532.p?skuId=6296532

Its not a high end TV, but its best price for that size, also Samsung makes 82” TV’s and their cheapest is the NU8000. Sold one to my friend open box for $1750...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...rt-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6200119.p?skuId=6200119

And if your talking QLED, the entry level Q6 isnt much more:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...rt-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6202114.p?skuId=6202114

And Samsungs 4k flagship, at 82” is a mere $6,500...not $15,000:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...rt-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6331774.p?skuId=6331774

You can even get their new 8k flagship for less than $15,000:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...rt-8k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6323717.p?skuId=6323717

Sooooo....

Waiting for my very good 63" Samsung plasma to die and prices of LG OLED to come way down. 77" LG OLED for $999 then I'm in. Paid way too much for the early adoption of plasma! Lesson learned over and over again.

I think you will be waiting for a very long time, and by that time there will be a oled replacement. Go to ur local target and look at their display oled, at least mine has one that is shot from burn-in, even though its playing a constant loop. There will be a new tech to correct that issue and provide more brightness. Likely affordable micro led.

LG makes an 86” for around $2500

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-86-...rt-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6296532.p?skuId=6296532

Its not a high end TV, but its best price for that size, also Samsung makes 82” TV’s and their cheapest is the NU8000. Sold one to my friend open box for $1750...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...rt-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6200119.p?skuId=6200119

And if your talking QLED, the entry level Q6 isnt much more:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...rt-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6202114.p?skuId=6202114

And Samsungs 4k flagship, at 82” is a mere $6,500...not $15,000:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...rt-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6331774.p?skuId=6331774

You can even get their new 8k flagship for less than $15,000:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...rt-8k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6323717.p?skuId=6323717

Sooooo....

You may have missed my point. The display will be used to display to a theater audience. Entry level will not cut it. Not sure why you listed 82" TVs, when I clearly was quoting 85" Samsung QLED TVs, either. Top of the line 85" Samsung QLED 8K is $14,997.99 right now --> https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1434973-REG/samsung_qn85q900rafxza_q900_series_85_class_8k.html/?ap=y&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkpuP4avI4QIVClcNCh09awqREAYYASABEgJMJPD_BwE&lsft=BI:514&smp=Y

Anyways, repeating my point again since you seemed to have missed my point. Given that the 85" Samsung QLED 8K TV is $14,997 right now, I'm going to assume a 16K 63 ft by 17ft (that's a 783" display) Sony MicroLED display will be a lot more expensive than $15,000.

You may have missed my point. The display will be used to display to a theater audience. Entry level will not cut it. Not sure why you listed 82" TVs, when I clearly was quoting 85" Samsung QLED TVs, either. Top of the line 85" Samsung QLED 8K is $14,997.99 right now --> https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1434973-REG/samsung_qn85q900rafxza_q900_series_85_class_8k.html/?ap=y&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkpuP4avI4QIVClcNCh09awqREAYYASABEgJMJPD_BwE&lsft=BI:514&smp=Y

Anyways, repeating my point again since you seemed to have missed my point. Given that the 85" Samsung QLED 8K TV is $14,997 right now, I'm going to assume a 16K 63 ft by 17ft (that's a 783" display) Sony MicroLED display will be a lot more expensive than $15,000.

Point is you cherry picked the most expensive and strange sized tv that Samsung makes. That same tv in the 82” is only $9,999 33% less, for 4% less surface area. Nobody is buying that model, and neither would theaters.

My point is that 80+ inches is extremely affordable, but I still dont see theaters using them, why would they? With a projector in a theater your get screen size flexibility, the rooms are already light controlled, and most importantly, nobody is complaining atm.

Also, if you did a simple google search or followed TV’s at all you would know Samsung already makes a micro led tv called “the wall”, their 200” doesnt have a street value but has a projected price of $100k+

Point is you cherry picked the most expensive and strange sized tv that Samsung makes. That same tv in the 82” is only $9,999 33% less, for 4% less surface area. Nobody is buying that model, and neither would theaters.

My point is that 80+ inches is extremely affordable, but I still dont see theaters using them, why would they? With a projector in a theater your get screen size flexibility, the rooms are already light controlled, and most importantly, nobody is complaining atm.

Also, if you did a simple google search or followed TV’s at all you would know Samsung already makes a micro led tv called “the wall”, their 200” doesnt have a street value but has a projected price of $100k+

I will repeat my point again, since you missed it again. A 85" Samsung QLED 8K TV currently costs $14,997.99. I'm going to assume that a 16K 63ft by 17ft (783" screen) Sony MicroLED display will cost much more than $15,000. This was originally to confirm that I agreed with wiyosaya's analysis that cost would be the deciding factor on whether my dream of watching a giant MicroLED screen in a movie theater would ever come true.

I think you will be waiting for a very long time, and by that time there will be a oled replacement. Go to ur local target and look at their display oled, at least mine has one that is shot from burn-in, even though its playing a constant loop. There will be a new tech to correct that issue and provide more brightness. Likely affordable micro led.
Thanks!

I don't really see the purpose of 8k and above at this point in time.....
Its already proven that 4K in a standard room is actually beyond the "resolution" of our eyes at the standard TV viewing distance.
There are plenty of things that aren't even in 4K quality yet so.... we have a long way to go with 8K or 16K.

I don't really see the purpose of 8k and above at this point in time.....
Its already proven that 4K in a standard room is actually beyond the "resolution" of our eyes at the standard TV viewing distance.
There are plenty of things that aren't even in 4K quality yet so.... we have a long way to go with 8K or 16K.

Exactly, broadcast tv being one of them

Back