Sony confirms PlayStation Plus relaunch games, perks and other details

Daniel Sims

Staff
In brief: This week, Sony revealed all the details of the new PlayStation Plus tiers launching this summer. The company officially confirmed the initial game lineup and rollout dates for different regions. It also explained how users will access older classics.

In March, Sony outlined its upcoming PlayStation Plus tiers and prices but left a lot of blanks, promising more details to come. On Monday, it fulfilled its promise with an announcement listing dozens of games from every PlayStation system (except the PlayStation Vita) available on day one. The new tiers arrive on May 24 in Asia, June 2 in Japan, June 13 in the Americas, and June 23 in Europe, Australia, and New Zealand.

Under the restructuring, the current PlayStation Plus subscription will become PlayStation Plus Essential but otherwise won't change. The first new tier above that is PlayStation Plus Extra, which seems similar to Xbox Game Pass. Its $14.99 monthly rate is identical to Game Pass Ultimate and will include many recent Blockbuster games, though Sony chose not to offer day-one releases.

The selection for this tier includes most of Sony's internally-published games from the last several years, including God of War, Uncharted, Bloodborne, Days Gone, and the remake of Demon's Souls. The company's most recent standout titles are missing, like Gran Turismo 7, Horizon Forbidden West, and The Last of Us Part 2. Notable entries from third-party companies include Mortal Kombat 11, Celeste, Hollow Knight, NBA 2K22, and Red Dead Redemption 2.

In partnership with Ubisoft, PlayStation Plus Extra members receive a complimentary subscription to Ubisoft+. This perk offers users free Ubisoft games, including Assassin's Creed Valhalla, For Honor, Watch Dogs, Far Cry 3, and The Division, just to name a few.

In regions where Sony offers cloud streaming, users can subscribe to the top-tier PlayStation Plus Premium for $17.99 per month. Areas without streaming will get PlayStation Plus Deluxe — a lower-priced premium service. Both tiers include time-limited trials of recent releases and a selection of PS1, PS2, and PSP games.

Initially, that old-school collection will include games such as Ape Escape, Syphon Filter, Tekken 2, Mr. Driller, Dark Cloud, Siren, and Wild Arms 3. Some of these games will have higher resolutions and framerates than they did on their original consoles. In a system similar to Nintendo Online, PS1 and PSP titles will let players rewind and save the game at any time.

However, unlike Nintendo Online, customers can purchase PlayStation classics individually, even without a subscription. Additionally, subscribers who bought digital PS1 and PSP games on the PS3 and PSP should be pleased to know that some of those purchases will carry over to PS4 and PS5. The Premium tier also offers PS3 games via streaming, including Infamous, MotorStorm, Resistance 3, Tokyo Jungle, F.E.A.R., Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, the original version of Demon's Souls, and others.

The time-limited trials last two hours. That timer will only count down in-game, and any progress will transfer to the full title if purchased. The first games with timed demos will be Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection, Horizon Forbidden West, Cyberpunk 2077, Farming Simulator 22, Tiny Tina's Wonderland, and WWE 2K22.

Sony included a complete list of games on the PlayStation Blog. New titles will land on PlayStation Plus on the first Tuesday of every month as usual.

Permalink to story.

I mean, PS3 titles are great... but not for $216 a year.

In other news, I can't wait for the TLOU re-remaster :D

I mean, PS3 titles are great... but not for $216 a year.

In other news, I can't wait for the TLOU re-remaster :D
What? Where did you got this amount?

There's something for everyone in gaming
GamePass offers Day 1 titles
PlayStation offers No Day 1 titles.
Tbh there is not really any day one title this year from ms anyway... Id rather get solid playstation titles. But I wont, as I rather buy and play what I want, not what someone decide for me and made me using gaas.

Just remember folks, these company's don't push streaming and Games-as-a-Service because they're kind hearted souls that don't mind losing a load of money to make games more accessible for you.

You definitely lose as a consumer. I'm worried game quality will drop even more than it already has, now there's no need to make a good game, just push it to the streaming services and pay to get it marketed hard, now loads of people will play it anyway.

At least in the current system of being able to pick what to buy you make a conscious effort to wait for reviews and watch previews or streamers.

What? Where did you got this amount?

Tbh there is not really any day one title this year from ms anyway... Id rather get solid playstation titles. But I wont, as I rather buy and play what I want, not what someone decide for me and made me using gaas.
There have been plenty of DAY 1 titles on GamePass this year like the highly rated Tunic...they don't have to be from Microsoft first party studios in order to count you know.

There have been plenty of DAY 1 titles on GamePass this year like the highly rated Tunic...they don't have to be from Microsoft first party studios in order to count you know.
I wish I had time to play things when service provider tells me to play them;) I'd rather buy it really - and I do just that.
While Tunic is a great small game, I would expect more than few indies to be available day one. Especially many of them are really niche. I'd rather ge them on Steam and after 2 hours decide if a game is worth finishing or I'm going to return it. Thanks to that I can play-test all of the huge library of games, and then buy only those, which are really worth it. And if it is really worth it I'm more willing to support developer in most direct way possible.
GAAS is not good for consumer who knows what he want's, period. I bought full version of ms flight sim, because I never intended to get featureless version from GP. But after seeing a single planes for like 50 pounds... I'll wait for a 'complete edition' anyway;)

And still $15 a month with no access for PC. You price like Gamepass, you need to match what Gamepass does. PlayStation + doesn't come close.

Yeah IMO this is total garbage... I'd take the EA games over Ubisoft any day of the week as an added bonus.

Gamepass is nice as it is on both PC and Console, and there are a handful of games that make switching between devices nice and easy. There are plenty of games that I would have bought otherwise, and as some one that buys a game and does a single playthrough and never touches it again. Not owning the game is quite nice. 90% of the time, I just want to play the game. I would love a digital rental system, but I'm a big fan of how MS has handled game pass so far.

Sony is clearly just putting old content onto their service, and more or less nothing really changed other than naming. It is the same old crap. The idea is to save money in the long run, Sony games tend to be in the Bargen bin a year after release. unlike Nintendo games.

Back