Sony could release super slim PS3 at Gamescom next month

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Sony may be planning to update the PlayStation 3 according to documents filed with the US Federal Communications Commission. This would mark the second revision for the current generation home console, the first coming in 2009 as a slimmed down version of the original that also consumes less power. It’s currently the only model in production.

The revision, earning the nickname “super slim”, could be announced at Gamescom next month in Germany. Note that Sony used the same stage to introduce the current slim model three years ago. The FCC sketches don’t reveal too much, but they do show a different FCC label position and confirm that Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR and 802.11g/n come standard once again.

Eurogamer spoke with Sony executive Shuhei Yoshida at last month’s E3, asking if they had any plans to release a super slim PS3. Yoshida told the publication to never say never, a strong indication that such a move is likely.

The move could be a last ditch attempt to reel in some late adopters before the launch of their next generation console, dubbed the PlayStation 4. Many expect the PS4 to drop sometime next year or in 2014, perhaps around the same time as Microsoft’s rumored Xbox 720.

The current PS3 slim is 32 percent smaller, 36 percent lighter and consumes 34 percent less power than the original that launched in November 2006. Outside of the reply at E3, Sony has declined to comment any further on the rumor.

Permalink to story.

I'm sitting here contemplating whether or not I'd buy a 3rd ps3. Of course if it brought back ps2 compatibility, I'd buy it in a heartbeat (Just wishfully thinking out loud). I just don't use my BC 60gb ps3 anymore, never broke but higher power consumption and heat output makes me always use my slim. I would love to retire my slim to modding purposes. Either way, would love to see xbox get crushed with another ps3 revision and perhaps a price cut too.

Would be nice to have a newer BC model but knowing Sony, I wouldn't put too much hope into it.

Unless I have the extra money, I'd just save the money I would use on a new ps3 on the ps4 instead, especially if it has PS3 BC. I wonder...

They're probably saving up the PS2 backwards compatibility feature for the PS4 as a marketing strategy or something. Make it fully backward so it's incentive for PS3 users to switch early (I'd probably fall for it)

With this new one, I'd be tempted to buy one if they added the PS2 backwards compatibility, but no other feature would make me. My 40GB old model's still going strong (fingers crossed)

NTAPRO, Good point on saving $ for PS4. At this point buying PS3 this late in its cycle for $250 is a waste of $. Even if Sony cuts the price to $199, it's still too much. I'd rather just roll over that $200 into PS4 and enjoy that new system for 7-8 more years.

Also, PS4 is 99% likely to NOT have any BC in place. The CPU is confirmed to be an X86 AMD processor which has nothing in common with PowerPC based Cell in PS3. The GPU is also 100% confirmed to be from AMD, and specifically it is likely to be based the new Graphics Core Next architecture (Compute based unified shader architecture). This again has 0 in common with the fixed pixel / vertex pipeline non-compute NV HD7900 which currently forms the heart of PS3. Those 2 GPU architectures have about as much in common as a Ford Model T and a Lamborghini Aventador. However, by far the greatest obstacle is the CPU. X86 code is not at all compatible with the Cell processor.

I think Sony purchased Gaikai so that they could sell PS3 games on PSN network for a reduced price for all PS4 owners. They'll probably spin it with extra features like "true 1080P" and higher resolution texture packs since current PS3 games for the most part only run at 720P.

NTAPRO, Good point on saving $ for PS4. At this point buying PS3 this late in its cycle for $250 is a waste of $. Even if Sony cuts the price to $199, it's still too much. I'd rather just roll over that $200 into PS4 and enjoy that new system for 7-8 more years.

Also, PS4 is 99% likely to NOT have any BC in place. The CPU is confirmed to be an X86 AMD processor which has nothing in common with PowerPC based Cell in PS3. The GPU is also 100% confirmed to be from AMD, and specifically it is likely to be based the new Graphics Core Next architecture (Compute based unified shader architecture). This again has 0 in common with the fixed pixel / vertex pipeline non-compute NV HD7900 which currently forms the heart of PS3. Those 2 GPU architectures have about as much in common as a Ford Model T and a Lamborghini Aventador. However, by far the greatest obstacle is the CPU. X86 code is not at all compatible with the Cell processor.

I think Sony purchased Gaikai so that they could sell PS3 games on PSN network for a reduced price for all PS4 owners. They'll probably spin it with extra features like "true 1080P" and higher resolution texture packs since current PS3 games for the most part only run at 720P.

The thing about X86 and unified graphics architecture is that PC have been running that way for over 6 years now, and we have been getting console port after console port, so it can't be that hard to get a game designed for PowerPC CPUS and the older gen graphics, which have been playing even newer releases on PC (my friend can show for that, still runs dual 7950 GX2's) to run on this newer console specs. But your more then less likely correct they will quick optimize them for the specs of the PS4 and resell on the PS store, and the games can do better FPS and higher res and what not.

Rather them do that I'd rather they add some free new features and maybe a slight redesign to everything to make it feel fresh(the OS) Maybe add backwards compatability or something...I mean this generation of consoles are nearing an end anyway, spice it up!

Bu sony rarely does anything useful in upgrades, especially backwards compatibility. They got tired of that with the ps3 slim :'(

I know some parents would be a lot happier with a lesser strain on the electric bill though.

The original PS3 is still the best.
I still have my old 40GB PS3 and its been one of the most reliable consoles I've ever owned, and like many of us I have just about owned them all since the NES.

It's still my bluray player and when the right game comes along I dust off the controller.

I do hope the lid slide over the console not just open up like the first PlayStation. I was wishing that it would have a new updated play tv built in to the console but that's just my dream lol.

Back