Sony finally answers the Xbox Elite Controller with DualSense Edge

Daniel Sims

Staff
Something to look forward to: Since Microsoft unveiled its first Xbox Elite controller in 2015, users have wondered when or if Sony would respond to it. We now have our answer with the DualSense Edge, which appears to mirror the Elite controller's extensive customization options.

On Tuesday, at the Gamescom Opening Night Live press conference, Sony unveiled the DualSense Edge controller — a new PlayStation 5 controller to answer Microsoft's Xbox Elite controller. The Edge's feature list promises a similar high-end experience, offering more customization options than a standard controller.

Microsoft released the Xbox One Elite controller in 2015. The premium-priced controller allows players to tune its feel and behavior with several new functions. Users can use a companion app to reassign buttons, adjust stick sensitivity, and customize trigger behavior. A "hair trigger" feature lets users set the shoulder buttons to activate at shorter pull distances, decreasing response time which could help during fast-paced games. The controller also came with four interchangeable back paddles for extra inputs, three swappable sticks of different styles, and two interchangeable D-pads. All these features came on top of higher build quality to prevent wear and tear.

The Elite Controller Series 2, at $180, added more perks in 2019, including improved grips and an even shorter optional hair trigger. It also brought more customization options for the sticks, paddles, and bumpers.

For years Sony hadn't provided a similar choice for PlayStation owners willing to pay more for controllers, but third-party manufacturers have.

The DualSense Edge promises many of the same features as the Elite, including adjustable buttons, sticks, triggers, and new back buttons. Like the Elite, the Edge lets users swap the sticks and back buttons. However, the Edge only has two back buttons to the Elite's four paddles.

Edge owners can build and save separate controller profiles for each game since a competitive shooter like Call of Duty might work best with different settings than an RPG like Horizon Forbidden West. An "Fn" button will let players quickly swap between profiles, access the customization menu, and test settings during gameplay.

Sony says it will provide a launch date for the Edge in the next few months but didn't mention a price.

Permalink to story.

The Elite is a great pad for PC in terms of customization and software support. I have to say build quality was shoddy, worse than the standard pads. Not good considering the price. I would hope that Sony's effort is a little more robust.

Stoked about the replacement stick modules, I've already had unbearable stick drift on two DualSense controllers. I would love if stick drift would just not be an issue, but at least if (more like when) it is, I can swap out a module and not a whole controller again.

Very good. Now need to wait for price and reviews to see if they will be better than scufs.

Stoked about the replacement stick modules, I've already had unbearable stick drift on two DualSense controllers. I would love if stick drift would just not be an issue, but at least if (more like when) it is, I can swap out a module and not a whole controller again.
Are you sure the modules themselves can be swapped? On the Elite I think it's just the stick at the top, not the potentiometers (which cause the drift) inside the pad that can be changed.

Edit: You're right - just watched the Sony video it does look like the whole stick assembly comes out.

Last edited:
Are you sure the modules themselves can be swapped? On the Elite I think it's just the stick at the top, not the potentiometers (which cause the drift) inside the pad that can be changed.

Edit: You're right - just watched the Sony video it does look like the whole stick assembly comes out.
https://blog.playstation.com/2022/0...ra-customizable-controller-for-playstation-5/

"Replaceable stick modules: Play longer with the ability to fully replace each individual stick module on the controller (replacement stick modules will be sold separately)."

All that customization, and (from what I'm seeing) you still can't easily replace the battery lol (one of the guaranteed wear parts)
depends on what do you mean 'easily'. It is actually very simple to do, if you're not afraid of a screwdriver. But, having 2 controllers from day one I still have no issues with batteries there.

So instead of fixing the issue on the base controllers they just release this uber expensive thing that'll take expensive replacement parts? Sony is dumb as hell

And here I'm still rocking a yellowed wired 360 controller when the situation calls for it. Thing is the AK of controllers.

depends on what do you mean 'easily'. It is actually very simple to do, if you're not afraid of a screwdriver. But, having 2 controllers from day one I still have no issues with batteries there.
Would be easy for them to at least offer a replacement battery (and show official support for it). Even easier to make it so you don't have to remove screws to take the controller apart (like for the joysticks).

Almost 2 years of some use? Yeah, not much of a reassurance when we all know batteries are a guaranteed wear part that will need replacing down the road lol

Would be easy for them to at least offer a replacement battery (and show official support for it). Even easier to make it so you don't have to remove screws to take the controller apart (like for the joysticks).

Almost 2 years of some use? Yeah, not much of a reassurance when we all know batteries are a guaranteed wear part that will need replacing down the road lol
Sure, official support would be welcome. Still, I see no difference in battery life (obviously that is not an argument). Sony can do better, but as well I'd rather see improvements in sticks life or make them drift - free. Battery was never anything I'd consider an issue especially given how easy is to swap it.
Here is the process:
and tbh I'd rather use screwdriver than have a noisy controller ;)

Sure, official support would be welcome. Still, I see no difference in battery life (obviously that is not an argument). Sony can do better, but as well I'd rather see improvements in sticks life or make them drift - free. Battery was never anything I'd consider an issue especially given how easy is to swap it.
Here is the process:
and tbh I'd rather use screwdriver than have a noisy controller ;)
We've already seen play out in the mobile phone and laptop arena how batteries that are obscured behind screwed in hardware eventually become batteries that are obscured behind glued on hardware and ultimately batteries that cannot be changed period because of software locks and other chicanery. The only way to beat the sausage-slice strategy is to demand the whole sausage and not back down.

I'd like to see what kind of options there are for the d pads. Unless they have totally different shells for different shapes I don't know how much the style could be changed. But if that was an option and I could switch. A shell with a standard d pad would actually make me consider this.

All that customization, and (from what I'm seeing) you still can't easily replace the battery lol (one of the guaranteed wear parts)
That's madness! - the battery in the PS controllers are pretty poor even on day 1. To not make it like the XBOX where it's external is a ludicrous decision.

I have the Elite 2 and the build quality is excellent.
The Elite 2 as the Elite 1 is hot garbage, 6 months of tender intermittent use and the (A) button started to stick, then RB just decided to not work half the time.
hot garbage

The Elite 2 as the Elite 1 is hot garbage, 6 months of tender intermittent use and the (A) button started to stick, then RB just decided to not work half the time.
hot garbage
Just because you got a lemon does not mean they are all lemons. I've used the hell out of mine for 2 years and it's still as tight as day one.

Rated 4.4 out of 5 stars on Amazon with 28,000 reviews.

Hasty Generalization

"A hasty generalization is a claim based on a few examples rather than substantial proof. Arguments based on hasty generalizations often don't hold up due to a lack of supporting evidence: The claim might be true in one case, but that doesn't mean it's always true."

Back