Sony gives more CPU power to PlayStation 4 game developers

Scorpus

Staff member

Developing games for a console like the PlayStation 4 is always going to be a challenge, as there's a limited amount of fairly modest hardware that needs to be split between games and the console's operating system. Realizing that perhaps the PlayStation 4's OS was utilizing too many resources, Sony has allegedly given game developers access to more CPU horsepower.

The report, originating from Beyond3D and corroborated by Eurogamer, suggests that Sony has recently unlocked the 7th CPU core inside the PS4's semi-custom eight-core AMD APU. Previously the console gave developers access to six cores, leaving the other two cores to run the OS, but this update has taken a core from the OS and given it to developers.

Considering the PlayStation 4 is not a powerful gaming machine, at least in comparison to a good desktop PC, giving an extra CPU core to game developers will allow them to achieve somewhat better performance, effects and visuals in new games. It's not a big change, but where hardware is limited, every extra resource a developer can use will come in handy.

By Sony giving developers access to a core previously reserved for system tasks, it's not clear exactly how this will affect the console, and how much processing time developers will actually get on the seventh core. One source told Eurogamer that the core will be split between user and system activity, but didn't reveal to what extent.

However, it is clear that existing PlayStation 4 games will not suddenly be able to access the seventh core due to the way these games are developed. Instead, developers will either need to update their games with support for extra resources (which is unlikely), or use these resources in future titles.

This isn't the first time a console manufacturer has given developers access to extra hardware after its release. Late last year, Microsoft gave developers access to the Xbox One's seventh processing core, providing the same benefits as the PlayStation 4's unlocked seventh core. Now, across both consoles, developers have access to similar resources.

Permalink to story.

Wow 25% of your cpu power is was going towards the OS. Poor console users.

Yup, poor console users, if only they knew what they were missing. A whopping 16% more CPU power should make all the difference, right? Say 1920x1080 at 60 FPS? Hahaha, I make myself laugh sometimes.

Sony is just playing catch up with Microsoft on this one, can't have the Xbone'rs bragging that they have access to an extra core that PS4 user's do not, that would have been a travesty...

Yup, poor console users, if only they knew what they were missing. A whopping 16% more CPU power should make all the difference, right? Say 1920x1080 at 60 FPS? Hahaha, I make myself laugh sometimes.

Sony is just playing catch up with Microsoft on this one, can't have the Xbone'rs bragging that they have access to an extra core that PS4 user's do not, that would have been a travesty...

This looks like an attempt to further distance themselves from Xbox. PS4 already has a demonstrated edge. They're increasing it.

"poor console users"

What if and god forbid;those "poor" console users are actually having fun playing games?

Asking that on a tech forum is like asking a Mercedes fanboy to understand why someone would drive a Hyundai.

You know, I wonder if it would have been smarter to give developers all 8 cores and 8 GB of RAM and just included a lower power processor and RAM on the side. Sure this would have cost more and complicated things but you know...POOOOOWWWEEERRRR!

I must say with all honesty that PC gamers are doomed because the best place to play fortunately or unfortunately are on consoles... I have a very good laptop and the last time I played on it was when a friend gifted me with Battlefield 4 and before BF4 I can't remember the last time I played on it... But consoles my friend the games that are on consoles are simple amazing and I couldn't care less about plus one core or minus one core I want the games and features.

I must say with all honesty that PC gamers are doomed because the best place to play fortunately or unfortunately are on consoles... I have a very good laptop and the last time I played on it was when a friend gifted me with Battlefield 4 and before BF4 I can't remember the last time I played on it...

Lol, ok.

I must say with all honesty that PC gamers are doomed because the best place to play fortunately or unfortunately are on consoles... I have a very good laptop and the last time I played on it was when a friend gifted me with Battlefield 4 and before BF4 I can't remember the last time I played on it... But consoles my friend the games that are on consoles are simple amazing and I couldn't care less about plus one core or minus one core I want the games and features.

Then by all means enjoy your experience and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise, it's more than understandable that you'd put a console above a laptop as far as gaming is concerned, even the "best" of laptops don't come close to what a moderately equipped gaming PC can accomplish. With exceptions to certain gaming oriented laptops of course. Factor in trying to play on the small screen and keyboard vs the comfort of the couch with controller in hand and big screen tv, yeah, I'd see you taking the console too. However, setup a well equipped PC in the same situation, and you'd never look back.

My moderate computer connected to my 46" TV with a wireless XBox 360 controller and Steam Big Picture Mode is AWESOME! Consoles are nice and easy to setup but I just can't see myself using them as much as my PC which also works as my... well everything in one.

1) Sony should allow developers to use 7GB instead of the 5.5GB they currently allow.

2) I am sick and tired of people calling the PS4 weak. It is 300 god damn dollars! It is as strong as an R7 370 + i3 + 8GB of RAM, and it uses 150w instead of a comparible PC's 250w. That is impressive, and that is stronger than the GRAND majority of gaming PC's.

Sorry but gaming on a console is so much better then a pc. First off a ga,I @gmail.com pc is 3x the cost of a ps4. Secondly I enjoy laying in my bed and gaming on a 42" TV being stuck in front of a pc screen simply isn't enjoyable for me . Then take in to consideration people not comp. savvy such as myself it a bother to go to my pc turn it on wait for it to load ..Yawn. No I love being able to flip over to my game at halftime or whenever I please .mand I'd bet my check OP never turned on a PS4 but it dosnt have the over a gaming pic dose so right away he feels it's not a fun experiance but you know what to John Q Public the extra power means nothing my ps4 runs like a top no lag no problems. I don't get you geeks hating on console players. another thing is pic gsmers spend what $3000 on a pc for a smother gaming experience but as I saw on my demonstrations the difference can't hardly be seen. This is the apex of console gaming. I grew up playing 8-64 bit games what I play now is mind blowing. So OP have fun making jokes about ram and this and that because ignorance is bliss in this case I don't understand a word of tech talk nor care I have a life and game to relax and I'm happy as hell. Anyway hope your Desk chair is comfy. . Ps4 opened a 7th and 8th what. Huh? Don't care , don't effect my fun. So my your geek,jokes that no normal person understands or cares about. ****ing snob..

pic gsmers spend what $3000 on a pc for a smother gaming experience but as I saw on my demonstrations the difference can't hardly be seen.
If gaming was all we "Gamers" do on a machine, we "Gamers" might consider a console as you do. If you are happy with your gaming machine, we users who do other things with our "$3000" machines are happy for you. And that is not to mention $3000 is way overkill for outperforming any console. My machine outperforms any console at a 4 year old $1500 cost, which is still overkill.

[/QUOTE]If gaming was all we "Gamers" do on a machine, we "Gamers" might consider a console as you do..[/QUOTE]
totally this I dont know why there's all this hate about owning a gaming pc or a console they're instruments and may be used at ones contempt all this hate this guy is tossing around is unnecessary and childish

Wow! Such cores!

Ill stick with my twin 980ti equipped PC enjoying 4k resoloution @ 60fps connected to a 65" samsung js9500 screen. With the option of controller or high end gaming mouse/keyboard.
Sound quality to die for. Motu828mk3 conected to my yamaha hsm80 reference monitors.

Enjoy your extra core toy.

Sorry im just bragging. But I do find it sad when some console users think cinsoles have the best gaming experience. I cant view them as gamers if their that clueless

But without another core, I won't be able to smoothly scroll through ad-ridden strategy guides. Besides that, that's great news for devs, I just hope it won't too negatively affect browsing the already sluggish PSN store.

Back