Sony goes all-in on mirrorless, discontinues its last DSLRs

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? Sony has seemingly pulled out of the DSLR camera market and appears to be focusing its efforts exclusively on mirrorless shooters moving forward. For those paying attention to Sony’s efforts over the past several years, the news isn’t terribly surprising as the company's last DSLR came way back in 2016.

Sony Alpha Rumors was the first to report that Sony’s website no longer shows any A-mount cameras. Similarly, retailer B&H lists the Sony Alpha a99 II DSLR as no longer available. A quick check of the Sony A-mount camera list over on Wikipedia reveals that every single model has been discontinued.

The company’s final DSLR, the aforementioned a99 II, was announced in 2016. As PetaPixel recounts, it featured a 42.4MP backside-illuminated full-frame Exmor R CMOS sensor with a unique “gapless-on-chip” design to maximize light gathering abilities.

Last September, however, Sony announced a new A-mount to E-mount adapter, allowing photographers to utilize older A-mount glass on E-mount camera bodies.

Fortunately, those seeking a Sony full-frame or APS-C camera have plenty of quality options to choose from including the a9 II and the Alpha 1 full-frame camera with 50.1MP stacked Exmor RS CMOS sensor.

Image credit Funstock, CynthiaAquino

Permalink to story.

StrikerRocket

Given the quality of sensors nowadays and the progress with e-viewfinders, that's not surprising. Who's against a lighter equipment without sacrificing image quality? Although I'm using Nikon, I'm not the last to say Canon's cameras are great.
I just invested too much in lenses to swap now.

Squid Surprise

It's all about the lenses... that's how they get you... any serious photographer has probably invested hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in lenses - so even if you swap cameras, you're unlikely to swap brands.

If Sony decided to make their mirrorless cameras require different lenses, you'd see tons of people abandoning them...

I still have my a58 DSLR which serves me fine for anything my iPhone can't do....

p51d007

I don't care for electronic viewfinders. I'm old school going back to the film SLR days. Heck, I don't even use the automatic mode, shutter or aperture priority unless I'm in a hurry.
My trusty nikon d-slr still does what I need. Not to mention the $$ invested in the lenses.

Mr Majestyk

Given the quality of sensors nowadays and the progress with e-viewfinders, that's not surprising. Who's against a lighter equipment without sacrificing image quality? Although I'm using Nikon, I'm not the last to say Canon's cameras are great.

Agree 100%. I loved my DSLR's and still have one in addition to two mirrorless cameras, and I would never go back. Only reason I'm using the DSLR is it's still the best performing APS-C camera for action, birding and wildlife and Nikon have no mirrorless worthy to replace it .... yet.

You don't need to replace your lenses. I'm using SOny mirrorless and use all my Canon EF glass with adapter and they work perfectly, including eye AF, IS etc. I've only got a few Sony lenses at the moment, but will slowly update old Canon glass. Sony, Nikon and Canon all have adapters for their old DSLR glass.

mattferg

This article is so meaningless in this regard since the A99 has an EVF, as have all Sony non fully Mirrorless cameras for years. I’m not even sure what the last Sony DSLR was.

mattferg

I don't care for electronic viewfinders. I'm old school going back to the film SLR days. Heck, I don't even use the automatic mode, shutter or aperture priority unless I'm in a hurry.
My trusty nikon d-slr still does what I need. Not to mention the $$ invested in the lenses.

The A99 has an EVF. No OVF.

mattferg

Agree 100%. I loved my DSLR's and still have one in addition to two mirrorless cameras, and I would never go back. Only reason I'm using the DSLR is it's still the best performing APS-C camera for action, birding and wildlife and Nikon have no mirrorless worthy to replace it .... yet.

You don't need to replace your lenses. I'm using SOny mirrorless and use all my Canon EF glass with adapter and they work perfectly, including eye AF, IS etc. I've only got a few Sony lenses at the moment, but will slowly update old Canon glass. Sony, Nikon and Canon all have adapters for their old DSLR glass.

Assume you haven’t shot an EOS R or native E mount glass. The performance difference between the Canon adapter and a Metabones on a Sony is huge.