Sony has removed Cyberpunk 2077 from the PlayStation Store 'until further notice'

Polycount

Staff
A hot potato: Only yesterday we were reporting that Sony was rejecting refunds for Cyberpunk 2077. That wasn't out of character for the company, of course: its policy is generally to deny such requests outside of extreme situations. Then tonight, Sony decided that CDPR's latest RPG falls into that category after all. The console maker is not just offering refunds for Cyberpunk 2077, but it's outright removed the title from the PlayStation Store until further notice.

You read that correctly: Cyberpunk 2077, one of the most anticipated and best-selling RPGs of the year -- 15 million copies have reportedly been sold to date -- has just been pulled from one of the top gaming marketplaces in the world. The news is shocking, to say the least: it's the first time Sony has ever removed a AAA game from its store as far as we can tell.

This unprecedented move comes after a solid week of backlash from console gamers who have been struggling to run Cyberpunk 2077 on the base PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Due to significant performance problems, game breaking bugs, and horrifying visual glitches, console players have been flocking to Sony and Microsoft in a desperate attempt to get their money back after buying what they feel is a completely broken product.

The information came to light through a new refund page dedicated specifically to Cyberpunk 2077, which you can view here. On the page, Sony states the following:

SIE strives to ensure a high level of customer satisfaction, therefore we will begin to offer a full refund for all gamers who have purchased Cyberpunk 2077 via PlayStation Store. SIE will also be removing Cyberpunk 2077 from PlayStation Store until further notice.

Once we have confirmed that you purchased Cyberpunk 2077 via PlayStation Store, we will begin processing your refund. Please note that completion of the refund may vary based on your payment method and financial institution.

CD Projekt Red, for its part, has apologized for the game's state on consoles, but that hasn't been enough for many fans. With the biggest fixes expected to arrive between January and February, it's perfectly understandable that some aren't comfortable waiting to get a decent experience out of a game they paid full price for, and it seems Sony has come around to that way of thinking.

To be clear, Sony has not explicitly stated why it made this decision, but it should be obvious to anyone who has been following Cyberpunk's troubled launch.

If you don't mind dealing with the issues console copies of Cyberpunk 2077 are suffering from, or if you plan to play the game on the PS5, we should note that PS4 copies can still be purchased. However, you'll have to get a physical unit from a different retailer; Gamestop or Amazon, for example.

If you happen to own an all-digital PS5, though, you effectively cannot play Cyberpunk 2077 at all for the time being, which is, again, shocking. We're curious to see what sort of response (if any) CD Projekt Red offers regarding this dilemma, and we'll be reaching out to both the developer and Sony for comment. In particular, whether or not these refunds are forced or opt-in.

Permalink to story.

#1 This game NEVER should have been cleared for the PS4.

#2 This game has been on the market for a week. You'd think they could have delisted it 5 days ago after the initial outrage?

#3 If they only allowed this game to show up for PS5 in the store, it might have helped reduce the outrage...but these morons went and printed up the PS4 disks - so they screwed themselves really, really bad.

#4 Short of you having a 2080Ti or better (3080 and up) and playing on an SSD, you really can't get the true experience of this game.

I personally ran it on a 2080Ti with 32GB of DDR4 on an SSD, and then ran it on my new 3090FTW3 with 64GB of DDR4 and the only real difference was the 3090 handled Psycho better and stayed cooler running it. The 2080Ti is capable but you must have an SSD and a lot of memory and VRAM to get the full effect of crowded streets and 4K textures. The 3070 and 3060Ti ain't gonna cut it either.

And this continues to reaffirm my belief in going big on VRAM. It's the reason the Titan, Titan XP, 2080Ti, 3080 and 3090 were so good... More memory truly helps even if the card is outdated by faster cards.

Last edited:
Well while I feel sorry for anyone that got shafted by this garbage release, it's exactly why I wait usually a minimum of 12 months after a release because this crap has been happening more and more, even if not to this extent and we should not be beta or sometimes alpha testers. I wait until the game has had the sh!t patched out of it, mods are available and it's on sale.

Last edited:
Yikes. There's a lot more PS4s out there than PS5s, no? And probably will be for some time? I hope the problems are solvable enough, and quickly enough, so they don't run out of cash before everything is fixed....

I wonder if they considered shipping PS5 + PC only for an initial period?

Well while I feel sorry for anyone that got shafted by this garbage release, it's exactly why I wait usually a minimum of 12 months after a release because this crap has been happening more and more, even if not to this extent and we should not be beta or sometimes alpha testers. I wait until the game has had the **** patched out of it, mods are available and it's on sale.

I felt like you but I took the dive and downloaded it from Steam. The bugs I encountered were minor and I went into the game expecting disappointment.

I got exactly the opposite... from start- to - finish it was amazing.

Unfortunately the PC experience was vastly superior and the PS4 experience was of the utmost inferior.

I felt like you but I took the dive and downloaded it from Steam. The bugs I encountered were minor and I went into the game expecting disappointment.

I got exactly the opposite... from start- to - finish it was amazing.

Unfortunately the PC experience was vastly superior and the PS4 experience was of the utmost inferior.
It's a very good experience on PC, but it has many issues. I've played quite a bit of the game now and I can confidently say it's great, but it needs a lot more polish, a lot more rebalancing (the crafting is so frustrating to use right now due to how quickly costs scale), and a lot of QOL stuff.

Fortunately, all that's relatively easy to fix.

I do feel very sorry for my console brethren, though, at least those on base consoles.

It's a very good experience on PC, but it has many issues. I've played quite a bit of the game now and I can confidently say it's great, but it needs a lot more polish, a lot more rebalancing (the crafting is so frustrating to use right now due to how quickly costs scale), and a lot of QOL stuff.

Fortunately, all that's relatively easy to fix.

I do feel very sorry for my console brethren, though, at least those on base consoles.

The game definitely has a money problem. You have to grind hard just to make a reasonable amount of money to buy any augmentation from Cyberdocs.

I also realized that the game can be completely dominated by SKIPPY (pistol) and OVERWATCH (rifle).

Most people go for the Legendary Mantis Blades or Legendary Monowire immediately -because they are free and easily attainable - but the high level enemies can still cut you down in 2 or 3 hits.

Skippy and Overwatch make minced meat of over-leveled enemies.

Overwatch with a non-lethal mod can easily destroy the Cyberpsychos regardless how much higher their level.

I also found driving to be problematic. The free Hypercar I got was cool, but driving it was a chore - meanwhile the motorcycle was very easy to use. I'm disappointed the game has no flying vehicles like Grand Theft Auto does. Since I have the game on PC, I'm sure there will be a way to spawn in one eventually.

The game definitely has a money problem. You have to grind hard just to make a reasonable amount of money to buy any augmentation from Cyberdocs.

I also realized that the game can be completely dominated by SKIPPY (pistol) and OVERWATCH (rifle).

Most people go for the Legendary Mantis Blades or Legendary Monowire immediately -because they are free and easily attainable - but the high level enemies can still cut you down in 2 or 3 hits.

Overwatch with a non-lethal mod can easily destroy the Cyberpsychos regardless how much higher their level.

I also found driving to be problematic. The free Hypercar I got was cool, but driving it was a chore - meanwhile the motorcycle was very easy to use. I'm disappointed the game has no flying vehicles like Grand Theft Auto does. Since I have the game on PC, I'm sure there will be a way to spawn in one eventually.

Stealth/Hacking/Pistol HS crit build = easy mode.

Generally speaking, I like the driving, but the handling varies a lot from vehicle to vehicle. Even between two different bikes, I found that they felt totally different... The Yaiba Kusanagi versus an Arch bike (from a story character, won't spoil that for anyone who hasn't gotten it yet), the difference was insane.

I agree about money making as well. Another balance change that *should* be relatively easy, so hopefully we'll see some of that in the upcoming patches.

Generally speaking, I like the driving, but the handling varies a lot from vehicle to vehicle. Even between two different bikes, I found that they felt totally different... The Yaiba Kusanagi versus an Arch bike (from a story character, won't spoil that for anyone who hasn't gotten it yet), the difference was insane.

I agree about money making as well. Another balance change that *should* be relatively easy, so hopefully we'll see some of that in the upcoming patches.
Yeah, most of the vehicles feel way too light. The first bike you can buy has been my main for most of the game. And the others are either ugly or too expensive to even test.

As for money, It's been fine for me... I have lots near the endgame. The trick is to not buy vehicles, grab aaaaall the guns dropped, and datamine everything lol

Last edited:
A work colleague says the game performs reasonable on his PS4 Pro. Will he still be able to receive game updates?

Good thing I didn't buy the damn thing on PC and got to try the cracked version first. I'm in the recommended hardware, GTX1060; i7 4790; 16GB Ram and SSD.
But this game cant get 60fps @ 1080p on "LOW" whit this hardware. Not to tell about the trees rendered everywhere before buildings. The bike that get stuck in other vehicles. Smoke that looks like lightning clouds. The game looks and feels like GTA3 on a Voodoo Banshee....
How on earth call it recommended hardware?

When Sony removes it from their "store" does this mean you cannot play it even when you already bought it before ?

I am playing it on my OG Xbox one, I can say the experience is better than Just Cause 3 was and still is since avalanche basically said we were all crying about framedrops and there internal testing showed smooth frame rates, meanwhile you blow up one fuel tank and it's maybe pushing 15 FPS. I get some of the complaints for sure but the first patch I got fixed about 90% of my texture pop. I think some of the help comes from my external HDD which is a full 7200 RPM drive so it can push data a bit faster than the laptop drives that the console use internally and most external drives are 5400rpm as well.

Good decision by Sony but it makes me wonder why they greenlit it in the first place ? Not to be left out of the game‘s hype ?

PS4 had the equivalent of a 280X!!! that's a mid tier gpu from 2013! That could barely run any AAA games from the last 2 years at 1080p low setting!!!
You should watch some RDR2 gameplays, GTA V also is completely playable. Mafia Definiteve Edition looks okay, has even working AI! CP2077 looks inferior to all of them.
I mean, no one actually expected RTX 3080 graphics level, but the the graphics is awful, fps is low and the game mechanics were falsely promised and missing. I remember Kingdom Come first days, there were bugs and performance issues, but it was first baby of small studio. CDPR had done 3 games already...

You should watch some RDR2 gameplays, GTA V also is completely playable. Mafia Definiteve Edition looks okay, has even working AI! CP2077 looks inferior to all of them.
I mean, no one actually expected RTX 3080 graphics level, but the the graphics is awful, fps is low and the game mechanics were falsely promised and missing. I remember Kingdom Come first days, there were bugs and performance issues, but it was first baby of small studio. CDPR had done 3 games already...
its shocking. Watching the gameplay it looks like an upscale ps3 game with more lighting effects. How such a basic looking game can hammer hardware so badly is anyone’s guess. Maybe they’re running the actual game underneath ala MCC, but more incompetently.
PS4 had the equivalent of a 280X!!! that's a mid tier gpu from 2013! That could barely run any AAA games from the last 2 years at 1080p low setting!!!
WOAH. N O WAY!!!!!! CONSPIRACY1!!!!1!!

Meanwhile, everyone else knows that consoles have better optimization then PCs do. RDR2 and GTA V have far more detail then CP2077 and run better on the ps4 and xbone.

Cyberbeta 2077 is plain unfinished

#4 Short of you having a 2080Ti or better (3080 and up) and playing on an SSD, you really can't get the true experience of this game.

This game is very bad optimized, they had time to improve graphics but not the code, so it demands a lot from the hardware. I saw 4K footage with very high details and though the lighting is excellent and lots of details, the graphics (and physics) are nothing extraordinary that a lot of other games don't do it already. So, the game is very badly optimized and the graphics on the PS5 /XBSX are underwhelming;

Back