Sony has sold seven million PlayStation 4 consoles since launch

Shawn Knight

Staff member

sony playstation sony sales playstation 4

Sales figures for Sony’s PlayStation 4 continue to impress. Roughly one month after passing the six million console milestone, Sony on Wednesday confirmed they have sold seven million next generation consoles as of April 6 after launching late last year.

In a statement on the matter, Sony Computer Entertainment president and CEO Andrew House said the PS4’s journey has just begun but they are already facing difficulties in keeping up with strong demand worldwide.

The system is now available in 72 countries around the globe including Japan where 370,000 systems were sold less than two weeks after going on sale in late February. In terms of software, Sony has moved more than 20.5 million titles both in retail stores and digitally through the PlayStation Store. By the end of the year, Sony expects to have some 120 games available for purchase on the PS4.

Microsoft, meanwhile, is likely doing alright as well in terms of Xbox One sales. The company launched a special edition console bundle with Titanfall last month for $499 which essentially meant you got the game for free.

Unfortunately for Microsoft, the Xbox One isn’t available in nearly as many countries as the PS4 so that is no doubt hampering overall sales. The $100 price different also isn’t playing to Microsoft’s favor but if they can put up somewhat similar sales numbers, that wouldn’t matter too much in terms of revenue.

Then again, more consoles means the opportunity for more software sales so in that sense, Sony does indeed appear to be ahead.

Permalink to story.

This is a testament to how well Microsoft has cornered the console market this generation with the appropriately named Xbox One. Better internals, compatibility with the latest DirectX, a greater library of games, and far more utility as an all-in-one entertainment system. Selling in fewer markets than the PS4, its even an exclusive product. Frankly, I don't see how Sony even thought they had a chance this generation. And don't even get me started on the privilege that is Xbox Live. I honestly feel that I am a better person by owning an achievement as great as the Xbox One. It's enhanced not only my quality of life, but my productivity at work and my relationships as well. Why, just this week I got a 10% raise and can't seem to keep the ladies off of me! A fantastic machine, if ever there was one. Sony fanboys need to get a life.

I really could not care how many they are selling (As im one of the people who bought it day one) as I am the fact that the "Gaming Oriented" console is not very gaming oriented. Fact is there is in reality only 2 real system exclusives and then it comes down to the multi-console or re-release games on the system which in all honesty is probably why Sony is hiding the figures of game sales and only bragging about the console sales. Its really ridiculous that they had such little exclusives planned at this point and planned for even 6 months after release.

Its getting old Sony, I know plenty of people who swapped back to Xbox ONE and sold their PS4's to gamestop because of this. I mean when your top 3 games are Killzone ShadowFall (Should have been a great game, but has been getting creamed by reviews), Knack (I think I spelled that right, either way its just a tech demo), and Infamous Second Son (Great game, not as good as the other two though) thats pretty small for over 6 months after release and factors in only 1 high multi-player game.

The other thing is, how many of the sales are counting the failed/returned/swapped consoles.

Get me Final Fantasy 15 already and ill be much happier with my console!!!

Last edited:
Is it any wonder why game developers concentrate their efforts on console releases?

I really could not care how many they are selling (As im one of the people who bought it day one) as I am the fact that the "Gaming Oriented" console is not very gaming oriented. Fact is there is in reality only 2 real system exclusives and then it comes down to the multi-console or re-release games on the system which in all honesty is probably why Sony is hiding the figures of game sales and only bragging about the console sales. Its really ridiculous that they had such little exclusives planned at this point and planned for even 6 months after release.

Its getting old Sony, I know plenty of people who swapped back to Xbox ONE and sold their PS4's to gamestop because of this. I mean when your top 3 games are Killzone ShadowFall (Should have been a great game, but has been getting creamed by reviews), Knack (I think I spelled that right, either way its just a tech demo), and Infamous Second Son (Great game, not as good as the other two though) thats pretty small for over 6 months after release and factors in only 1 high multi-player game.

The other thing is, how many of the sales are counting the failed/returned/swapped consoles.

Get me Final Fantasy 15 already and ill be much happier with my console!!!
They said they sold 20.5 million games or like 3 games per 5 month old system. Which is bad since they sell the system at a lost

Davislane1, you forgot to add "/sarcasm" to the end of all those achievements! :p

"people switching back to xbox one" I LOLed so hard, xbox one has nothing to "switch back" to. That system is a complete disgrace.... what a failure. Congrats to Sony, I'm not surprised by it selling so fast while xbox one doesn't sell at all. It is pretty clear to everyone that PS4 is the superior system in every way and less expensive...It's a no brainer.

"people switching back to xbox one" I LOLed so hard, xbox one has nothing to "switch back" to. That system is a complete disgrace.... what a failure. Congrats to Sony, I'm not surprised by it selling so fast while xbox one doesn't sell at all. It is pretty clear to everyone that PS4 is the superior system in every way and less expensive...It's a no brainer.
Besides more system exclusives, more features, a better controller, better bundles, comes with its eye device, and the fact its sold more per region than Sony has.

Sony fanboy's are funny read a big number and say they win a war they have been losing for the past 8 years.

The other thing is at 20.5 million games sold taking into account the 7 million consoles, thats less than 3 games per console which is abysmmal and really shows the lack of content Sony is providing. They stripped the system of features saying they wanted a focus on gaming consoles but have instead released almost no games to speak of in a now more than half year period. Other game consoles that have done a similar thing (Release a console with no games or a low amount for the first 6 months to year) are the Sega Saturn which failed and the Sega Dream Cast which also failed. Without any reasons for buying the PS4 other than gaming and then releasing no games is a pretty poor strategy.

If you go to any GameStop and ask how many used PS4's there are in relation to Xbox ONE's, there are rarely more than 1 Xbox ONE's and there's at least 5+ PS4's at a time due to lack of content.

13 countries for the Xbox ONE vs 48 Countries for the PS4. Even if you were to say Xbox has still only sold 3.6 million units (That was as of Early January I might add) and take the now "7 million" PS4's sold, that will still just equate to 276,923 (With some remainder) per country vs the PS4's 145,833 (With some change). Thats of course not including January, February, March, and Half of Aprils sales for the Xbox ONE. Now with those figures we see who in reality is doing better.

This is the usual Sony marketing strategy, show a big number to people and they will hopefully buy into the hype the number shows which hopefully increases their sales even more.

Just wow. I'm 99% sure davislane was being sarcastic but when someone misses that sarcasm and attacks what he said you jumped in too. I assumed you knew it was sarcasm the whole time and the person who said something about it just missed that. Both systems currently have a poor lineup in my opinion but based on anecdotal evidence and what I've seen in the locations I've visited the PS4 is in much higher demand.

WOW !! That's a lot of consoles for such a short period... Great job SONY.

Davislane1, you forgot to add "/sarcasm" to the end of all those achievements! :p

The omission was intentional. I stopped applying sarcasm tags to my troll posts some number of months ago to more effectively bait people who have trouble with reading.

If you go to any GameStop and ask how many used PS4's there are in relation to Xbox ONE's, there are rarely more than 1 Xbox ONE's and there's at least 5+ PS4's at a time due to lack of content.

The GameStop down the street from my house is frequently sold of out PS4s. At one point a few weeks ago, they were backordered. They do, however, have a consistently generous inventory of Xbox Ones.

Lack of content on the PS4 is the biggest problem with the console. Frankly, their initial rollout has been abysmal, despite their otherwise strong sales numbers. But supporting that with "so and so can't keep Xbox Ones in stock!" and "typical Sony marketing!" does little more than introduce massive red herrings that only belong in the argument basket of a fanboy. Dividing units sold by markets also creates an equally egregious fallacy, but I digress...

This trivial debate between fans of the XB1 and PS4 will remain so for at least the next 2 years, until both systems have had a chance to spread their wings a bit.

This is the usual Sony marketing strategy, show a big number to people and they will hopefully buy into the hype the number shows which hopefully increases their sales even more.

so let me guess. the xbox is doing well in the US... big deal. the rest of the world hates it because it just doesn't work as advertised (no TV and kinect has problems with accents) or it isn't even sold there.
in reality the xbox is boned outside of the US, plain and simple. the US and the UK make up most of the consoles sales which is very bad for microsoft.
the only reason it's even selling is because of titanfall. which is also on PC (plays much better on PC). people will get tired of an overhyped game. after this, xbox has no good exclusives to work with, no system seller. on the other had ps4 works everywhere as advertised and had tons of good games coming this year.
unless ms drops the kinect it will never win this generation.

so let me guess. the xbox is doing well in the US... big deal. the rest of the world hates it because it just doesn't work as advertised (no TV and kinect has problems with accents) or it isn't even sold there.
in reality the xbox is boned outside of the US, plain and simple. the US and the UK make up most of the consoles sales which is very bad for microsoft.
Microsoft is US based for starters so of course its going to be best in the U.S., just like how Sony PS3 and PS4 do best in Japan because Sony is Japan based.

TV aspect works perfectly on the Xbox ONE, so I have no idea what your talking about. I have not heard one person complain about it at all... The Kinect also responds well to anyone using it though it probably does have some trouble with accents since its hard to know how every person on the planet will say the same word. Its way better than the PS4 Eye that's for sure, Sony can't even give those things away.
the only reason it's even selling is because of titanfall. which is also on PC (plays much better on PC). people will get tired of an overhyped game. after this, xbox has no good exclusives to work with, no system seller. on the other had ps4 works everywhere as advertised and had tons of good games coming this year.
unless ms drops the kinect it will never win this generation.
Its also selling because of Ryse, Forza, Killer Instinct, Titanfall, and Dead Rising 3 3 of which came at LAUNCH with the console for sale. Versus Sony's 3 games 2 of which were launch titles KillZone ShadowFall, Knack, and Infamous second son which only one of those has multiplayer. So much for "were all about gaming" when you can't even release a game right... Xbox has plenty of exclusives to work with including the next Halo among those. Sony keeps saying games coming soon but the fact is 6 months has gone by and only 1 game has come out which is making it all the more apparent that the console was rushed. Xbox ONE works everywhere as well, saying the voice commands that Sony makes you buy separately does not work as well when your not even forced at all to use them is not even a debate.

The GameStop down the street from my house is frequently sold of out PS4s. At one point a few weeks ago, they were backordered. They do, however, have a consistently generous inventory of Xbox Ones.
Sony is intentionally holding the PS4's and slowing the shipments. This is done to make it look like they are selling like hot cakes. Market strategy...

Lack of content on the PS4 is the biggest problem with the console. Frankly, their initial rollout has been abysmal, despite their otherwise strong sales numbers. But supporting that with "so and so can't keep Xbox Ones in stock!" and "typical Sony marketing!" does little more than introduce massive red herrings that only belong in the argument basket of a fanboy. Dividing units sold by markets also creates an equally egregious fallacy, but I digress...
First off if you talk to the gamestop employees (In which I have friends who work there) they say the problem is Sony is not shipping consoles. They get plenty of trade ins do to lack of features and games (not a ton, but more than Xbox has been). Its how Sony markets things and is a common business practice, you show a bunch of big numbers, make your product more difficult to obtain (While still giving a big enough number out to the public), and you get more sales because people think that "If I don't order this ill never get one!!!". Same thing happened with the Wii back in the day when no one could get their hands on one of those even though it was pretty much the exact same hardware as the Gamecube (Minus the overclocked GPU). I own both consoles just like I did last generation, the PS4 is a joke compared to the PS3 and all it was capable of which would be fine if there were actual games available for the system and they stuck to the guns of being focused only on gaming.

Dividing units sold by markets also creates an equally egregious fallacy, but I digress...
Not really, just shows the major difference in actual sales. The trivial amount of consoles the Xbox ONE is behind on sales is easily identified with the fact its available in less then half the amount of countries the PS4 is available.

This trivial debate between fans of the XB1 and PS4 will remain so for at least the next 2 years, until both systems have had a chance to spread their wings a bit.
It will of course take time for the consoles to get planted into the market. But Sony is doing the same thing that cause the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast to fail.

Just a fanboy here, but the xbone is the only way to go! PS4's are great if you love boring single player games but competitive shooter loving peasants such as myself know that the real players are all on Live!

Besides more system exclusives, more features, a better controller, better bundles, comes with its eye device, and the fact its sold more per region than Sony has.

I'm sorry, but I would rather use a PlayStation controller than an Xbox controller any day of the week.
That is a personal preference thank you very much.

Just wow. I'm 99% sure davislane was being sarcastic but when someone misses that sarcasm and attacks what he said you jumped in too. I assumed you knew it was sarcasm the whole time and the person who said something about it just missed that.....[ ]....
This is why I was lobbying for a much more comprehensive set of emoticons for the new software.

The ones we have are incoherent at best, and they lack the ":rolleyes:", ":warn-icon", that used to serve me in good stead.

"Of course I was only being sarcastic, didn't you see the rolleyes", I would say to the moderator, when I was in trouble, (yet again).\

The fact remains, (IMHO), that a better set of emoticons would help to make a person's meaning clearer, and also make posting more enjoyable in general

This is a testament to how well Microsoft has cornered the console market this generation with the appropriately named Xbox One. Better internals, compatibility with the latest DirectX, a greater library of games, and far more utility as an all-in-one entertainment system. Selling in fewer markets than the PS4, its even an exclusive product. Frankly, I don't see how Sony even thought they had a chance this generation. And don't even get me started on the privilege that is Xbox Live. I honestly feel that I am a better person by owning an achievement as great as the Xbox One. It's enhanced not only my quality of life, but my productivity at work and my relationships as well. Why, just this week I got a 10% raise and can't seem to keep the ladies off of me! A fantastic machine, if ever there was one. Sony fanboys need to get a life.
Judging by your results with the x-Box One system, I am immediately contacting any, and every, consumer advocate group I can think of, pursuant to having a consumer warning panel placed on the console box!

Something like, "Caution, should using this product result in an erection lasting more than 4 hours, contact Microsoft support immediately"

Judging by your results with the x-Box One system, I am immediately contacting any, and every, consumer advocate group I can think of, pursuant to having a consumer warning panel placed on the console box!

Something like, "Caution, should using this product result in an erection lasting more than 4 hours, contact Microsoft support immediately"

I'm stopping by Microsoft's HQ Monday to pitch my idea for an 'Enhanced Wood Edition' to their marketing team. It's fashioned from black walnut. Your suggested product warning should help satisfy the compliance guys.

Back