Sony is adding PS4 games to its PlayStation Now cloud gaming service

Shawn Knight

Staff member

PlayStation Now, Sony’s cloud-based gaming service that lets gamers access PlayStation 3 titles on their PlayStation 4 and Windows PC, will soon be expanding to include a new platform.

Brian Dunn, senior marketing manager of PlayStation Now, said on Monday that they’ll be adding PlayStation 4 games to the PS Now streaming service in 2017. All games in the service, including PS4 titles, will be included with a single PS Now subscription, we’re told.

Dunn said Sony will kick off a private test with select PS4 games on PS Now in the next few weeks and encouraged active subscribers to keep an eye on their e-mail in case they receive an invitation.

Unfortunately, details regarding which PS4 games will be added to the platform and when exactly they’ll arrive for all was not revealed although Dunn promised those details would be coming as we get closer to launch.

Last month, if you recall, Sony said that later this year – August 15, to be exact – it will be discontinuing PlayStation Now service on the PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, PlayStation TV, Sony Bravia TVs from 2013 to 2015, Samsung TVs and Sony Blu-ray players (2016 versions of Sony Bravia TVs will also lose PS Now functionality on April 1).

At present, PlayStation Now offers up a whopping 483 PlayStation 3 games to subscribers.

Sony offers a seven-day free trial if you’re interested in giving it a spin.

Permalink to story.

God, so I love my PS4 and all my past playstations. But Sony has a track record of removing features and support for their tech far too early. I work for a media company and we installed probably close to 100 Sony ES receivers for customers in their home theaters. They came with network connectivity and had a bunch of "smart" features ie. Netflix, only to be removed with a later update. It was a selling point for us and it became very difficult to explain the our customers why or how it was removed, especially since, as a dealer, we were not given an explanation either.

I also have a 2016 tv so that sucks too

I wish they'd scrap this PS Now and just go the MS route and emulate them.
They should be able to emulate at least ps2 and 1 games.

I was in the Now beta, it was ok on an 8mb line. Tiny bit of lag.
When it went live however it was unplayable. I found myself in queues to play games unless I played at stupid o clock.

Havn't used it since and will not even on a 50mb line.

I wish they'd scrap this PS Now and just go the MS route and emulate them.
They should be able to emulate at least ps2 and 1 games.

I was in the Now beta, it was ok on an 8mb line. Tiny bit of lag.
When it went live however it was unplayable. I found myself in queues to play games unless I played at stupid o clock.

Havn't used it since and will not even on a 50mb line.

Well it's a good thing you aren't in charge over at Sony HQ. My connection at home is perfectly suited for Streaming services, but I have used Playstation Now for quite a bit when I'm not around my ps4 and have had no problems. I've used it over hotspots, in hotels and at friends houses with ease.

Back