Sony offering Anthem refunds following reports of game crashing and bricking PlayStation...

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: It’s fair to say that Anthem hasn’t turned out to be the smash hit BioWare and EA were expecting. Following what have mostly been middling reviews and early price reductions, some PlayStation 4 players claim it is crashing their consoles—and Sony is giving people refunds because of it.

The game’s subreddit is filled with PS4 and PS4 Pro owners posting reports of mid-game crashes, but many of these aren’t your standard freezes or resets; users say it’s as if "someone pulled the plug without properly shutting the hardware down or if the power went out in the house."

Following this type of crash, some found pushing the front button wouldn’t start the console; instead, they had to unplug the machine and plug it back in. When it does start, the PS4 displays a CE-36329-3 error code, which is described as a “system software” error.

A few players claim their PlayStation 4 was bricked by Anthem. The cause of the problem remains unclear, but it may be a heating issue. EA recently said that it was investigating the matter. Unsurprisingly, those whose consoles are now expensive paperweights are advising people not to play the game.

Several users are reporting that requests for refunds have proved successful. Strangely, Ask PlayStation UK tweeted that the issue was “outside our refund policy,” while Variety had no problems getting the money back using PlayStation’s support chat system.

News of the crashes comes soon after EA announced fixes for Anthem's end-game loot issues.

Permalink to story.

Another hopeless release by EA. They keep releasing garbage instead of testing and releasing decent quality products. The EA boycott continues.

"Anthem hasn’t turned out to be the smash hit BioWare and EA were expecting"
If EA were expecting that to be a smash hit, they clearly have no idea what the games industry is all about and should just leave before they embarrass themselves even more.
But EA will probably want to hang around and claim credit for Apex Legends. Like they had anything to do with how successful it is.
I think Anthem could have been amazing. I have read that there are some clever and touching stories in the main hub which perhaps show what Bioware might have been capable of expanding on, if allowed to develop the game further. But it needed 2 years more work to put an engaging storyline and RPG into the beautiful environment. And that's a waste of money in EA's eyes. Why do we let these guys dictate to developers and gamers what a game should be?

If EA were expecting that to be a smash hit, they clearly have no idea what the games industry is all about and should just leave before they embarrass themselves even more.
But EA will probably want to hang around and claim credit for Apex Legends. Like they had anything to do with how successful it is.
I think Anthem could have been amazing. I have read that there are some clever and touching stories in the main hub which perhaps show what Bioware might have been capable of expanding on, if allowed to develop the game further. But it needed 2 years more work to put an engaging storyline and RPG into the beautiful environment. And that's a waste of money in EA's eyes. Why do we let these guys dictate to developers and gamers what a game should be?
To be fair, it already had 6 years of development and Bioware delivered poorly. Bioware lost most of its key talent around the Mass Effect 3 era, don't expect "classic" Bioware quality anymore.

EA bought Respawn will before Apex so yes since they are the publisher n give a say so in what gets done, they can claim whatever they like.
Lets not forget Bioware had years to get this right n even had a extra year. This on them. Sure EA gets some of thr blame but they werent the ones making it just fronting the money. Bioware failed its that simple n this will likely be the end of Bioware.

Dragon Age Origins was one of my favorite RPGs ever released at the time it originally released. I was so massively disappointed with DA2 that I didn't even bother with DA3.

Its like they went and looked at all the reviews for DA:O and said "gosh, lets make a list of every feature people liked about this and change all of them."

And then more recently I almost wonder if the internal mandate is "lets make stuff that sucks".

Back