Sony plans in-game advertising system similar to the one Microsoft detailed

Daniel Sims

Staff
In brief: Over the weekend, news circulated that Microsoft is working on a system to let developers embed advertising into free-to-play games. Now it sounds like Sony has similar plans. This could turn console gamers into a new target market for advertisers.

Business Insider sources claim that Sony is working out ways to get ads into free-to-play PlayStation games. The goal would be to encourage the development of more free-to-play games by giving developers more possible revenue streams.

Instead of simply appearing in a PlayStation console's interface or in-game menus, developers could place ads within a game's environment, like virtual billboards or product placement. Advertising such as this is nothing new, but it could become more common if Sony supports it at the platform level. Under this system, free-to-play games may also give players rewards for watching ads, which is routine in mobile games.

Developers would sell the ads on a private marketplace, but Sony hasn't determined whether to take a cut of the revenue. Microsoft's plans sound nearly identical, except it won't take a share of ad revenue.

However, Sony may sell user data to advertisers, such as what players do after viewing an ad. According to one source, that data wouldn't include players' names or email addresses, and Sony is strictly vetting ad clients.

Plans for ad-supported PlayStation games started around the time Sony launched the PlayStation 5 in late 2020. Where Microsoft's in-game ad system may appear by the third quarter of this year, Sony's is expected by the end of the year.

Permalink to story.

Did TV sales decline when they forced ads? No..

I've yet to see an ad on my TV's. But, then again, I don't activate networking on them. Streaming devices are made for that.

Most people "need" TV's for multiple different reasons as a display device, so I don't think you can really compare sales numbers between the two. Like you need a TV to use a console, but you don't need a console to use a TV...

I've yet to see an ad on my TV's. But, then again, I don't activate networking on them. Streaming devices are made for that.

Most people "need" TV's for multiple different reasons as a display device, so I don't think you can really compare sales numbers between the two. Like you need a TV to use a console, but you don't need a console to use a TV...
No need for streaming devices unless your TV is crap with garbage SoC. I have every app natively on my LG C9 77 inch. Fast and smooth, no ads, yeah.

However ads are coming to more and more TVs. Even to streaming devices.

My next TV will be a QD-OLED, but not before next year where we hopefully get to see 75+ inch panels. I am not downgrading to 65 inch.

QD-OLED and OLED is the only panels that matter to me, when it comes to TVs. LCD is dead and gone, low-end garbage trash.

LCD still has it's place; Cheap TV for meeting rooms, if the panel is IPS that is. VA sucks for this.

Microsoft supposedly is not going to profit from the ads which they might keep the ads from being excessive but I can't say the same about Sony.

Sony has never been know as the company to do something for nothing.

Yay capitalism! We were doing just fine without ads. Give us our own space please. In game placement is fine, I suppose. Like the picture you have of Death Stranding. If it starts looking like mobile games, I'm out.

Back