Sony reveals the most downloaded PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 games of 2021

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: Sony has revealed the most downloaded games for its PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, and PlayStation VR platforms across the whole of 2021. And if there’s one thing that the charts illustrate, it’s that a lot of console owners really love sports titles and Call of Duty.

Sony has split its charts into two regions: the US/Canada and the EU. Looking at the current-gen PS5, NBA 2K22 tops the charts in the former area, while another sports game was the most downloaded in the EU last year—FIFA 22. But Call of Duty: Vanguard took the second spot in both locations.

On the PS4, it’s amazing to find that, eight years after launching on the console, the most downloaded title in the US/Canada in 2021 was Grand Theft Auto V. Rockstar’s record-breaker was also the second most-downloaded title in the EU, beaten only by FIFA 22.

The US/Canada and EU saw the same three titles as their most-downloaded VR games in 2021: Beat Sabre, Job Simulator, and Superhot VR, in that order. Additionally, Sony included a free-to-play (PS4+PS5) category that’s unsurprisingly dominated by Fortnite, Rocket League, and Call of Duty: Warzone. What is a surprise is seeing eFootball 2022 in fourth place on the EU chart, though many people likely downloaded it just to see how bad Steam’s worst game really is.

Overall, Call of Duty takes 11 of the 60 spots on all the charts, and there are 20 sports games.

Yesterday brought reports that Sony had planned to stop production of the PlayStation 4 at either the end of last year or sometime in 2022, but the company has now decided to increase production of its last-gen console in response to the PlayStation 5 shortages.

Permalink to story.

PlayStation exclusives are not as high as a thought they would be. FIFA and CoD are a rehash every year and they charge 60 for it, which is sad to see. CoD is also terrible to play on a controller.

PlayStation exclusives are not as high as a thought they would be. FIFA and CoD are a rehash every year and they charge 60 for it, which is sad to see. CoD is also terrible to play on a controller.
And that's fine, there is a lot of exclusive titles and because of that variety no single one can be on top. While football (FIFA) and COD are in general most popular games and majority of gamers will play them. And no, COD is not a problem on controller, if everyone is playing it on a controller. That's just an input device, and as any type of device requires practice.
With large amount of games, exclusives are just a cherry on the top.
Anyway, happy to see Kena on this list, great and fun game to play.

People can talk about how bad Call of Duty and Battlefield are, but the reality (sales data) shows us that the resentment and hate is only skin deep.

Sony should be very thankful for MS making minecraft available on the PS4. I did not realise that it was that popular on the PlayStation.

Sony should be very thankful for MS making minecraft available on the PS4. I did not realise that it was that popular on the PlayStation.
Microsoft should be thankfull for Minecraft being so popular on playstation, it will offset a bit GP loses;)

and no, MS didn't make Minecraft available on PS4. Minecraft was released on Sony consoles before MS bought Mojang. So the only thing MS did was not to remove a product already sold in there.

Microsoft should be thankfull for Minecraft being so popular on playstation, it will offset a bit GP loses;)

and no, MS didn't make Minecraft available on PS4. Minecraft was released on Sony consoles before MS bought Mojang. So the only thing MS did was not to remove a product already sold in there.
lol, no Sony should definitely be thankful to MS. And yes I’m aware of when MS purchased minecraft. Are you so naive that you think MS wouldn’t withhold an upgraded minecraft on PS5? There are no plans to release a PS5 minecraft upgrade and they are withholding TES 6.

Sony are *******s and MS have no reason to allow their software on Sony hardware as Sony doesn’t allow their software on Xbox. I don’t like the console wars but right now there is no Xbox game I can’t play on my PC. But Sony want ridiculous money to play some of their exclusives a few years later.

Back