Sony said to be using DDoS attacks to slow the spread of stolen data

Shawn Knight

Staff member

sony ddos amazon web services attack aws sony pictures hacker guardians of peace ddos attack

Sony Pictures is still reeling from the hack on its computer network in which a group calling itself the Guardians of Peace made off with loads of personal data on employees and celebrities. The sensitive data has since shown up on a number of outlets across the web and in an effort to slow the leaks, Sony has reportedly resorted to hacker methods of its own.

Two people familiar with the matter claim Sony is using hundreds of computers in Asia to launch distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks on sites hosting the stolen data. Specifically, they’re using Amazon Web Services (AWS) – the e-commerce giant’s cloud computing arm – located in Singapore and Tokyo to pull off the attacks.

sony ddos amazon web services attack aws sony pictures hacker guardians of peace ddos attack

In a response to Re/code, Amazon said the activity being reported is not currently happening on AWS. A spokesperson for the company declined to say whether or not AWS had been used in such a matter before today.

If true, this wouldn’t be the first time that Sony has used such tactics. In the earlier days of file sharing, Sony worked with anti-piracy firm MediaDefender to flood popular file-sharing networks with bogus files in an effort to deter people from downloading their work.

It worked for a bit but eventually fire-sharing sites were able to easily identify the spoof files.

Early indications suggested North Korea was responsible for the attack on Sony Pictures. As recently as Tuesday, however, the FBI said they couldn’t yet determine who was behind the attack.

Permalink to story.

I'm supposed to believe that the company incapable of encrypting passwords is sophisticated enough to have their own botnet available on demand to DDOS others? C'mon....

And even if they do... it's pointless. The data has already leaked all over the place. You can never put those worms back in the can.

Hasn't sony learned their lesson? At one point Sony installed root-kit viruses on audio cd's. **** sony.

I can't think of the last sony anything I've bought.

I've thought of Sony as piece of sh** of a company, ever since they sold rootkit DRM infected CDs. I refused to buy any of Sony's crap since then. Karma is a b**ch. I wonder the legality of them using DDoS against other web entities? I'm sure anyone of us would go to jail for cyber crimes doing such things.

Sony really wants to make itself a target, doesn't it? This is like a kid flailing wildly at a bee-hive. Their willingness to resort to illegal measures will draw the ire of even more hacker groups. It's no surprise that they are hacked all the time.

To me, Sony is worse than any pirate or hacker group out there. They DDoS and block websites with competing material, punish real customers with demanding DRM, and actively manipulate laws to continue their behavior.

I'm supposed to believe that the company incapable of encrypting passwords is sophisticated enough to have their own botnet available on demand to DDOS others? C'mon....

And even if they do... it's pointless. The data has already leaked all over the place. You can never put those worms back in the can.

The article mentioned that they weren't using their own servers. I would not be surprised if they were using the Anon DDoS tool the hacker group release to the public last year.

The article mentioned that they weren't using their own servers. I would not be surprised if they were using the Anon DDoS tool the hacker group release to the public last year.

You're going to need to cite source.

Unless you're referencing something else, "Anon" isn't really a "hacker group". Additionally their "weapon of choice" is nothing more than LOIC which still requires a large group of computers to flood the target's connections.

You're going to need to cite source.

Unless you're referencing something else, "Anon" isn't really a "hacker group". Additionally their "weapon of choice" is nothing more than LOIC which still requires a large group of computers to flood the target's connections.

Just found out that they are not using DDoS. They are seeding fake files instead.

Anon is short for anonymous. LOIC is a DDoS utility

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_Orbit_Ion_Cannon

Oh joy, a new friend is attempting to explain how knowledgable he is in regards of "Anonymous."

Back