Sony ships 13.3" Vaio S with Sandy Bridge, Radeon graphics

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Sony's new Vaio S notebook has finally landed stateside, giving US customers another premium ultraportable option. Weighing under four pounds and measuring less than an inch thick, the 13.3-inch system is outfitted with the latest hardware from Intel and AMD. Starting at $969, the base Vaio S comes in black or white and offers a 2.3GHz Intel Core i5-2410M, a 512MB AMD Radeon HD 6470M, 4GB of DDR3-1333 RAM, a 320GB 5400RPM hard drive, a DVD burner, and Windows 7 Home Premium.

Pricier configuration options include a 2.5GHz Core i5-2520M and 2.7GHz i7-2620M, a 1GB Radeon 6630M, 6GB or 8GB of RAM, up to a 750GB hard drive or dual 128GB SSDs in RAID 0, a Blu-ray play or burner, Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate, and a battery sheet that boosts the maximum runtime from 7.5 hours to 15 hours. All iterations come with a 1366x768 display, HDMI and VGA-out, one USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports, Gigabit Ethernet, Wi-Fi and Memory Stick Duo/SD card slots.

Permalink to story.

Why would they put Radeon graphics on this small notebook? Isn't one of the bigger points of Sandy Bridge the fact that on board graphics can do much more?

Well, the two Radeon options are slightly better than the HD 3000 (the 6470 marginally better, the 6630 being considerably better), but neither will beat out the HD 3000 in performance per watt, assuming the processor chosen comes with that graphics chip.

If you need more graphics power (say for ultramobile gaming) this might be a better option than others, though for me the IPS panel of the upcoming Thinkpad X220 still sets my heart aflutter.

Actually I was pleased with the sandy bridge graphics performance. I was at a convention last week and at the floor demo they were pretty open about the fact it wasn't going to beat up the nvidia or ati anytime soon, but it'd gone from being a 'barely good for flash' to an actual option for games. Unless you plan on cranking the latest Crysis up to max it'll do for most the market. The fact the ATI is included makes this a bit more tempting.

Back