Sony suspends all PlayStation hardware and software shipments, digital sales in Russia

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Sony has become the latest company to announce that it is pulling its products and services from Russia following the country’s invasion of Ukraine. The move comes soon after Sony decided to suspend sales of Gran Turismo 7 in Russian regions.

"Sony Interactive Entertainment joins the global community in calling for peace in Ukraine," the company wrote in a statement. "We have suspended all software and hardware shipments, the launch of Gran Turismo 7, and operations of the PlayStation Store in Russia."

Additionally, Sony said it would be supporting humanitarian aid through a $2 million donation to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and the international NGO, Save the Children, to help victims of the invasion.

Elsewhere, Bungie, which is in the process of being acquired by Sony, announced that it is suspending all Destiny 2 sales and commerce in Russia and Belarus. Players in those regions will still be able to play Destiny 2 content they have already purchased and download the free game but will no longer be able to purchase new content or Silver. The company is also introducing a yellow and blue Cоняшник free emblem for players to show their support for the Ukrainian people.

The list of companies pulling their services and products from Russia keeps growing. Microsoft, Activision Blizzard, Epic Games, Netflix, Mastercard, Visa, Paypal, EA, Amazon, CD Projekt Red, Ubisoft, Apple, and Take-Two are just some of the names that have taken action. And The Verge notes that Nintendo has put its Russian eShop in maintenance mode as its payment processor suspended processing rubles. Addionally, the Japanese gaming giant has delayed Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp following the invasion.

We’ve also seen internet service provider Cogent terminate its service with Russian-based customers, and Lumen Technologies, another internet backbone provider, just announced it is stopping its operations in Russia. The latter counts telecoms providers Rostelecom, TransTelekom, and mobile operators MTS, Megafon, and VEON among its Russian customers.

Permalink to story.

What will we do without PlayStation????? :D All those bannings make no sense. While the banning of oil/gas imports damages Russian economy, the fact that MacDonalds, Sony, Starbucks, Coke, Pepsico, etc. leave Russia is just a godsend. Russian youth will be better without all that crap.

This is what "virtue signaling" looks like in global politics.

Everyone is lined up to gain attention being the next company to cancel Russia.

Unfortunately for them, most of this stuff are things that the Russian people don't need.

Mcdonalds and Coca Cola for example only exist to give them diabetes.

Facebook/ Instagram and other Social Medias have already shown how destructive they are to the minds of young people.

Furthermore, the young Russian males are more busy flattening the Ukraine to worry about these creature comforts.

What's going to happen is that Russia is going to make Ukraine a buffer zone. They will ultimately be in control of the rebuilding of Ukraine - only they'll control the when, how and where of the rebuilding. The sanctions on them will be lifted ultimately.

You can't cancel a nuclear armed nation with 144,000,000 people and a worldwide presence.

I mean it's certainly one way to improve stock elsewhere. All Russian bound processors, GPUs, memory, consoles, phones, etc can now be diverted. It might hurt the supply chain of materials but the market is a bit smaller with 140 million in Russia frozen out.

What will we do without PlayStation????? :D All those bannings make no sense. While the banning of oil/gas imports damages Russian economy, the fact that MacDonalds, Sony, Starbucks, Coke, Pepsico, etc. leave Russia is just a godsend. Russian youth will be better without all that crap.

You beat me to that exact same point!

Russian youth are busy playing Battlefield 2022 while we are busy playing Battlefield 2042.

Even Techspot comment section can't escape Russia propaganda. Like always "western food is evil, drinks are evil".. Russians are pigs which can't decide which is who, so it's best when there is no choice..? Like in the elections..?

Last edited:
Another separate news item? As I said before we get it: Every single western or non-Russian-allied corporation is going to do the exact same thing because none of them can actually get money out of Russian people now that they're kicked off SWIFT unless they start taking Crypto and even that will very soon be regulated out of viability as a bypass by the Biden admin.

Seriously guys just do a single story that covers *all* corporations doing their grand standing and pointing the painfully obvious as their ONE AND ONLY COURSE OF POSSIBLE ACTION in regards to doing business with Russia: just stop spamming us with these as an individual story for every company that does the same through a PR statement.

Yes, because we know how good and balanced diet of average russian were during iron curtain time. Vodka and potatoes. Been there, seen it.
And to answer your question, ruccian citizens are not aware of continupous masacre of civilians in Ukraine. Those sanctions might maybe make them think: what is happening that west countries withdrawing from russia? and maybe they will start to think for themselves and start demanding changes. I understand that most of the russians used to be tools in hands of Tzars and after that in CCCP party leaders, and after that in Putin hands, but it is time to either do another revolution, or stay isolated from other nations indefinitely (don't worry, China will suck them dry).
In short: citizens of russia allowed situation to happen and continue to do so. So they will face consequences. Some great russians people who actually trying to do something and risk their freedom - sorry for them, but maybe they will see even better world after putin.

It was a joke, but not everyone gets a point... Putin sends 18 y.o. kids to the war and burns them in a
mobile crematoriums after death, so he won't have to bring back the bodies to their homeland. Pays 50 dollars to families for their lose. 50 DOLLARS.
I know it was a joke, it was funny how untrue the joke was, making a joke out of the joke.

But yes, Russia do suck right now and I still haven't heard any good reasons why they went to war. Putin is scared of NATO so goes to war against a non-NATO country. What a big man...

Russian youth will be better off without Putin and his mob, but unfortunately they'll have to sort that out for themselves.

Looks like the West forgot to sanction copium…

Unfortunately for them, most of this stuff are things that the Russian people don't need.

Facebook/ Instagram and other Social Medias have already shown how destructive they are to the minds of young people.

Furthermore, the young Russian males are more busy flattening the Ukraine to worry about these creature comforts.

What's going to happen is that Russia is going to make Ukraine a buffer zone. They will ultimately be in control of the rebuilding of Ukraine - only they'll control the when, how and where of the rebuilding. The sanctions on them will be lifted ultimately.

You can't cancel a nuclear armed nation with 144,000,000 people and a worldwide presence.

Russia didn't commit enough young Russian males to occupy Ukraine not to mention control or rebuild it. Indeed they already seem to be having a very hard time!

I know it was a joke, it was funny how untrue the joke was, making a joke out of the joke.

But yes, Russia do suck right now and I still haven't heard any good reasons why they went to war. Putin is scared of NATO so goes to war against a non-NATO country. What a big man...
The United States set the precedent that pre-emptive strikes are acceptable, and our government has been the ones goading Ukraine into joining NATO.

This war is terrible but it's completely dishonest to pretend that Putin just woke up one day and decided he wanted to bully Ukraine and that the US and NATO has no culpability in the situation whatsoever.

Russia didn't commit enough young Russian males to occupy Ukraine not to mention control or rebuild it. Indeed they already seem to be having a very hard time!

You don't need to occupy Ukraine if you decimate it.

The people are fleeing their homes and cities there.

Chances are, because of the devastation and lack of infrastructure/ comforts, they ain't coming back.

The United States set the precedent that pre-emptive strikes are acceptable, and our government has been the ones goading Ukraine into joining NATO.

This war is terrible but it's completely dishonest to pretend that Putin just woke up one day and decided he wanted to bully Ukraine and that the US and NATO has no culpability in the situation whatsoever.
A lot of Russians are brainwashed by Putin, but unfortunately, a lot of westerners too. NATO is to be blamed by this horrific war, NATO was ready to attack Russia, Ukraine is not an independent nation who can choose its destiny, Ukraine was preparing nuclear and biological weapons to attack Russia, a bunch of nazis, they kill their own people, cause Russian army never targets civilians... I'm sorry, if you support this, you must be Qanon or some other crazy person.

A lot of Russians are brainwashed by Putin, but unfortunately, a lot of westerners too. NATO is to be blamed by this horrific war, NATO was ready to attack Russia, Ukraine is not an independent nation who can choose its destiny, Ukraine was preparing nuclear and biological weapons to attack Russia, a bunch of nazis, they kill their own people, cause Russian army never targets civilians... I'm sorry, if you support this, you must be Qanon or some other crazy person.
The only thing that makes me crazy is that I give a damn about understanding things, something that it appears all my peers have abdicated to network TV.

It's no skin off my nose. When the missiles fly, I'll be instantly incinerated. Have fun picking through the fallout.

The only thing that makes me crazy is that I give a damn about understanding things, something that it appears all my peers have abdicated to network TV.

It's no skin off my nose. When the missiles fly, I'll be instantly incinerated. Have fun picking through the fallout.
Don't fret, it's MAD, Mutual Assured Destruction and you'd have to be completely insane to trigger it, which Putin is not. If you think being against the trend, by propagating Putin's lies to justify the horrors happening now in Ukraine, makes you stand out as insightful, think again.

Don't fret, it's MAD, Mutual Assured Destruction and you'd have to be completely insane to trigger it, which Putin is not. If you think being against the trend, by propagating Putin's lies to justify the horrors happening now in Ukraine, makes you stand out as insightful, think again.
The only propagandist here is you.

I did not deny that what was going on in Ukraine is horrible, nor do I support Putin's bid to resurrect the rotten corpse of the USSR. You, on the other hand, immediately cast aspersions on me by linking me through ad-hominem attacks to points I have not made nor support, simply because I raise the point that this war is not as black and white as bobbleheads on CNN would have you believe.

8 billion people can most definitely "cancel" a country with 140m people whose demography is aging and economy collapsing. And in this case, Russia is pretty much alone. Without western investment, they'll be colonized by China. That's about it. Their economy can't even make it into the top 10 nominally. Per capita? They're the 74th.

Russia acts like a superpower but they're really not. Having nuclear weapons won't make you a superpower. Do you consider North Korea a superpower? Russia's land is big, but that's all they have. They're a big gas station, not much else.

Their army's power is an illusion but in reality all they can do is pull verbal threats out their @sses. In WW2 they had the most casualties BY FAR. Why? Because they lack the tech and training. You know the old saying, "throw money at it", well, Russia doesn't have that much money, so they instead follow the "throw people at it" principle.

In Afghanistan they lost about TEN TIMES more people in 10 years than the US did in 20 years. During the Chechen wars they even went bankrupt. And that country is like 30 times smaller than Ukraine. And that was without much western intervention. So why did they go bankrupt? Because war is F*CKING EXPENSIVE. Not only for Ukraine, but also for Russia. They've lost a ridiculous amount of equipment already. We're talking about billions of dollars. They're on the way to pull the bankruptcy stunt again with the Ukrainian invasion. They don't even dare opening their stock exchange, it's been closed for almost 2 weeks now, but they're only delaying the inevitable.

7S6JS4v.jpeg

They already had to DOUBLE their interest rate. The Russian ruble has lost 40% of its value against the dollar this year. The effects aren't immediately visible, but they'll most definitely be devastating to the Russian people.

They're not controlling anything, they can't even make an offensive that's farther away from the border than 50 km. Morale is low and no real progress whatsoever. These brainwashed Russian conscripts won't willingly die for invading a neighbor, but the Ukrainian people are proving time and time again that they WILL rather die for their home than accept Russian occupation.

Last edited:
8 billion people can most definitely "cancel" a country with 140m people whose demography is aging and economy collapsing. And in this case, Russia is pretty much alone. Without western investment, they'll be colonized by China. That's about it. Their economy can't even make it into the top 10 nominally. Per capita? They're the 74th.

Russia acts like a superpower but they're really not. Having nuclear weapons won't make you a superpower. Do you consider North Korea a superpower? Russia's land is big, but that's all they have. They're a big gas station, not much else.

Their army's power is an illusion but in reality all they can do is pull verbal threats out their @sses. In WW2 they had the most casualties BY FAR. Why? Because they lack the tech and training. You know the old saying, "throw money at it", well, Russia doesn't have that much money, so they instead follow the "throw people at it" principle.

In Afghanistan they lost about TEN TIMES more people in 10 years than the US did in 20 years. During the Chechen wars they even went bankrupt. And that country is like 30 times smaller than Ukraine. And that was without much western intervention. So why did they go bankrupt? Because war is F*CKING EXPENSIVE. Not only for Ukraine, but also for Russia. They've lost a ridiculous amount of equipment already. We're talking about billions of dollars. They're on the way to pull the bankruptcy stunt again with the Ukrainian invasion. They don't even dare opening their stock exchange, it's been closed for almost 2 weeks now, but they're only delaying the inevitable.

7S6JS4v.jpeg

They already had to DOUBLE their interest rate. The Russian ruble has lost 40% of its value against the dollar this year. The effects aren't immediately visible, but they'll most definitely be devastating to the Russian people.

They're not controlling anything, they can't even make an offensive that's farther away from the border than 50 km. Morale is low and no real progress whatsoever. These brainwashed Russian conscripts won't willingly die for invading a neighbor, but the Ukrainian people are proving time and time again that they WILL rather die for their home than to accept Russian occupation.
You know, I don't disagree with anything in your post.

The question is, if all of this is true, why is it then so crucial that Ukraine join NATO and that we start a war against a country on the verge of collapsing all by itself?

The US is likewise still shattered by the aftermath of the pandemic, from months of civil unrest and riots, from feckless, self-interested and myopic leaders, and from the ignoble end of our last debacle in Afghanistan. This isn't 2003, bouncing back from 9/11. We have no moral or economic leg left to stand on.

The US and Russia alike need to get out of Ukraine.

8 billion people can most definitely "cancel" a country with 140m people

8 Billion people???

Where's you get those numbers?

Perhaps liberal media didn't explain "BRIC" to you: Brazil, India, Russia, China

There's at least 3 Billion people on Russia's side.

Add in Venezuela (oil rich) and a bunch of other countries who hate America and the number grows more.

Back