Sony to settle PlayStation Network class action suit for $15 million in goods and services

Shawn Knight

Staff member

sony lawsuit playstation network security breach breach class action lawsuit data theft hack

Sony has agreed to settle a class action lawsuit brought about by the 2011 PlayStation Network data breach, an event that resulted in the theft of names, addresses and potentially even credit card information belonging to 77 million members.

According to a report from Polygon, Sony has signed a preliminary agreement valued at $15 million. Instead of cash, however, plaintiffs would receive goods and services from Sony such as free PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Portable games, free themes, free subscriptions to PlayStation Plus, free subscriptions to the Music Unlimited service and free SOE Station cash (Sony's virtual currency to buy in-game items).

Those that didn't participate in Sony's "Welcome Back" package following the security breach will get to choose two separate benefit options or two instances of one PSN benefit option. Individuals that did accept Sony's package can receive a game benefit, a theme benefit or a PlayStation Plus subscription benefit.

Lawsuit participants will receive benefits on a first-come, first-serve basis. All of this, of course, is dependent on the judge signing the settlement.

Sony was hit with a couple of massive data breaches back in 2011 and has been working to clean up the mess ever since. The first breach in April forced Sony to shut down the PlayStation Network for several weeks.

The company hired a former Homeland Security officer to help get things in order after the breach but of course, the damage had already been done. At the time, Sony estimated it would cost $171 million to clean up the mess associated with the breach.

Permalink to story.

Wasnt this settled with a few free games and the music unlimited access, which was a scam, because excepting into the music offer, you had 3 months free, but.... they forgot to mention ( or was it one of those small prints you dont read ) that you had to make sure to cancel... because thats right you were now paying £10 a month otherwise, which made me hate Sony all the more ...

Well more free gifts yay, just hope they shove any offer of music up their sun dont shines.

Seems equitable. That is, if the credit isn't limited to specific titles like it was in the "Welcome Back" program.

Wasnt this settled with a few free games and the music unlimited access, which was a scam, because excepting into the music offer, you had 3 months free, but.... they forgot to mention ( or was it one of those small prints you dont read ) that you had to make sure to cancel... because thats right you were now paying £10 a month otherwise, which made me hate Sony all the more ...

Virtually every free premium subscription offer on the planet comes with this detail. If you get burned by the auto enrollment clause, it's your own fault.

I agree that every premium sub works in such a manner , but when its the welcome back program like you mentioned, and it says get 90 days, thats fine, but cut me off, hell, never once used that piece of crap. But as you say lesson learned, and now no more money for them. The console can rot.

I'm going to be honest, if I got my credit card information stolen I wouldn't want more sony products I would want money. $15 million across 77 million people really isn't that much per person...

I'm going to be honest, if I got my credit card information stolen I wouldn't want more sony products I would want money. $15 million across 77 million people really isn't that much per person...

Problem is, Sony is under no obligation to provide, nor do any of us have a claim to, monetary compensation. This would only be the case for people whose information was stolen and experienced financial damages (identity theft, credit card fraud, etc.) as a result. In all likelihood, the only reason Sony has decided to settle is because it's cheaper than fighting it out in court.

This seems like a slap in the **** by Sony. So I lost my address, name, DOB, credit card information and who knows what else in the Sony MMO/PSN breach and they ****ing give me this luke-warm garbage on a service I never want to touch again because they compromised my identity.

No ****ing thanks, Sony can eat a bag of dicks. To top that off I was working in game development at the time of the breach. We dropped to half capacity during development because it also affected our patch delivery and Sony Partnernet connection for hosting. Literally we had to send home half the workforce for 2 solid months and development suffered severely. Money was lost and the bottom-end workers went home hungry and unpaid because of Sony's incompetence.

Anyone who willingly supports this company is either a shill or out of their mind.

Back