Sony to ship TransferJet chips in January

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

It seems that Sony is preparing to offer samples of "TransferJet", a short-range wireless transmission technology. TransferJet was demonstrated at this year's Consumer Electronics Show (CES), and could replace Bluetooth as a means of close proximity, high-speed wireless communication, boasting an effective maximum throughput of about 375Mb/s.

Sony will reportedly begin shipping both the "CXD3267AGG" and "CXD3268AGW" chips in January for 1,500 yen each (a bit over $17). If that is true, the company should have a polished demonstration of the technology at the upcoming CES event.

Sony's new technology is destined for use in products like cell phones and digital cameras, and as of August 2009 the TransferJet Consortium consisted of 19 member companies, including Canon, Kodak, Hitachi, Nikon, Panasonic, Pioneer, Samsung, Sharp, Toshiba and others. The consortium is also accepting applications for adopter membership.

Permalink to story.

Nice! After all this time using bluetooth and... "hey! I love that song could you send it please?" and finish it like in 5 minutes, this sort of transfer rates will be amazing! Even for backing up data from PC to PC or notebook, netbook or whatever!

Very good news!, bluetooth is kind of slow by today standards, not to say infrared jaja, this technology will make transfers more effective and faster, I cannot wait to see it in action, sony again is the company that introduces new technology to the word, remember walkman?

Lololol That's faster then my home network :O (wireless N)

So it's from Bluetooth version 3 with maximun at 24mbit/s
to..... 375 mbit/s ???

That's great lol, finaly not steps that that are like 40 % faster then the previous technology

Sony being known for having its own protocol for most of its products....Its good to know that there is a consortium for this that will be adopted by several big-name companies to begin with.

Unfortuneatly that is Mega bits per second not Mega Bytes per second

1 mbps (megabit per second) = 1,000,000 bits per second
1 MBps (megabyte per second) = 8 mbps (megabits per second)

So probably not faster than your 802.11n network

If it is 70 MB (bytes not little bits) then that's faster than most flash memory chips can write! (Which is typically about 12 MB/sec) You gotta love a solution that finds a new problem.

1 for sure,this is faster than previous bluetooth. when will this technology apply in cellphone?it will boost the transfer speed, we can stream music n video live from other cellphone or pc wirelessly.

this is great i hate waiting on bluetooth its so slow takes like 3 min for 1 song to transfer. i think this will be great might can even use it as a lan connection of sorts.

"maximum throughput of about 375Mb/s"

And yet the image says (560Mbs)

Am I only person not seeing consistency here?

Yeah, I saw that too ^^... these are also most likely theoretical maximums, along with the limits of the sender and receiver. I'm interested to see how this turns out though...

I dont think TransferJet is going to take off very fast. USB 3.0 is faster and has been around for awhile and yet it never did. but that might be a completely different subject.

Wow 375Mb/s! That is such an improvement over Bluetooth! I cannot wait until something like this becomes standard on phones, laptops etc! You will be able to copy files across much faster! It will be quicker than connecting the device to a PC via USB until USB 3.0 is released!

I don't want it if it isn't compatible with current bluetooth devices. This is another stupid invention which tries to copy bluetooth. They should just use wireless usb.
BTW Bluetooth 4.0 will use the the same technology that wireless usb uses, both being based on UWB(Ultra-wideband). UWB is capable of 480 Mbit/s at distances up to 3 meters and 110 Mbit/s at up to 10 meters.

I don't see how it could replace bluetooth, considering it's limited to a 3cm distance (1/100 of the bluetooth range).

Regarding the 560 vs 375Mb/s, this has to do with error checking, according to the Wikipedia page.

hello ...

the only temporary drawback is distance, yet the transfer makes it so cool ... a nice technological evolution.

SONY bringing 3D, rapid transfer wireless connectivity ... thank you!

cheers!

Amazing..finally something better than BlueTooth that'll replace it shortly..
I hope I see TransferJet on Sony Ericsson mmobiles soon..

hehe this could be nice if they boost the range... =) wouldnt need wireless for streaming movie or music from pc to console ^_^

Let's just hope that this new technology doesn't affect your reproductive organs when you leave it on and put the phone in your pocket

Great technology in theory, and I'm sure it will be a great feature to add to products, but I don't see it replacing Bluetooth. It really just looks like an extremely fast way to throw large data chunks around, but doesn't look even remotely feasible for things like headsets. So, if anything, mobile platforms will end up with yet another connection option integrated.

I can see it working great for smartphones to sync to PCs, in cameras to dump pics in memory to a computer or printer, sharing data between units... But not much else, really - the distance limits are far too restrictive, it takes too much of the mobility out of mobile platforms.

It's just a transfer protocol replacement, so the distances might not be that importart right now, although what left me thinking is the flash memories write/read speed that will set a drawback here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back