Sony Vaio freezing during startup

I have a Sony Vaio running Windows Vista. Today when I turned it on and it ran though the VAIO screen but stuck on the screen where I would normally click on a user to log in. I have attempted restarting it several times and it seems as though it freezes at a slightly different point each time. I am able to boot in safe mode but not in safe mode with networking. Sometimes during the safe mode boot it will pause for a bit on AVG before finally booting. Please help.

Hi, just to start the diagnosis try removing your wireless card and then see if it will boot into normal mode. Post back with what happens.

Are you saying the Wireless card is integrated into the motherboard?

Plese provide the model number of the laptop.

When you get into safe mode look in Device Manager and see if there are any yellow warnings and note what the device name is.

Please follow this guide and post the log. This should work in safe mode but you will need to download it on another PC and then transfer it with a flash drive or a RW CD.

This is purely for me to check that you have no obvious infections, please do not attempt to remove any of the entries in the log as you may make your situation worse. If I observe any problem I will guide you to the Malware forum for further assistance.

Please download HJT Installer from HERE

• Click the Download button. When the TrendMicro HJT install box appears, double click on the HJTInstall.exe. Click on Install.
    * It will be installed by default here: C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis.
    * A shortcut to the application will also be placed on your Desktop.
    * The program will open automatically after installation.
    * You can double-click the icon that was placed on the Desktop to run subsequent HijackThis scans or you can use the icon inside the folder.
    * The folder HijackThis is where you will find the HJT logs that you save.
    * When you use the application to remove anything, you will also find the backup copies made by HJT inside this folder.
    * The first time you open HijackThis, check the Main Menu button at the bottom center. When the main menu appears check the box "Show this window when I start HijackThis".
    * Click on "Do a system scan and save logfile." When the log pops up in Notepad, copy and paste that file back here as a New Message in this forum.
    * DO NOT have HijackThis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

Back